Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:12 pm 
and i really am hoping that my parents are feelin generous and buy me a camera. My dad asked me the other day while flippin through a Best Buy catalog "what camera is it that you'd like to get?" I got excited and started rambling on and on and i think i confused him even more. So much for makin it easy for him.

Here's my question... I really would like to SLOWLY (meaning= build up to a semi-pro/pro series camera) work my way into making photography a money-making hobby (portraits and such). I've really taken a liking to the Alpha series of cameras...particularly the A300 (more useful features than any other camera in that price range). My honest concern as of late is that if I want to eventually offer a serious, marketable service, how much less credible will i be with an A300 than I would with say an XSi? Because you cannot deny name recognition does wonders for a potential customer's perception of a business and we cant argue (even on a Sony forum) that Canon outperforms in the IQ/noise handling field. Because honestly, if I knew I could afford a 40d with a couple nice image stabilized lenses I would go that direction in a heart beat... unfortunately I'm not a modest millionaire. That's why Sony is so intriguing.

Someone here please convince me to stick with Alpha series as opposed to goin for Canon (the only other VERY tempting brand).

What does Sony's future look like in the professional sector?
Can we expect that Sony will figure out how to solve (or at least finally decide to solve) the noise issue?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the novel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:45 pm 

Future: There's the impending A900 and I'm sure there's more where that came from. Sony are in it to win it even if it will take time. And an impending A700 replacement seems to be getting more likely by the day too.

Appearance: That's a tough one to call. I don't think there will be much in the lower models on appearance. Get the battery grip if you want to beef it up a bit. But at the end of the day it is results that count, so building up a portfolio you can show will count for more.

Noise: Unless you're going to do a lot of 'hostile environment' shots, you'll probably be able to manage the light making noise moot. Even then, above the comfort zone the advantage for Canon is small.

Last resort: If you do go serious, there will still be time to 'jump ship' should the conditions at the time make it worthwhile.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:27 am 

I'd say you go for the camera that feels best in your hands. The looks to future customers are not all that important, I think, because, as popo wrote, you portfolio is what matters. And many customers won't even look at what camera you're using, as long as the results are good enough, the brand doesn't matter.
There's been more discussion about the noise issues lately. If you avoid using high ISO's (e.g. 1600), you'll get results that are good enough for most situations. Only if you make very large prints or do a lot of cropping, using high ISO values, you may want to look at another camera, meaning, a non-entry-level DSLR like the 40D or even D300.
Sony's future in the professional sector looks good to me. Very high quality G lenses, but especially the Carl Zeiss glass! There's not a whole lot of info about the A900 (results-wise), but it shows that Sony is serious. There goal is to one day become market leader in the DSLR-market, so expect to see a lot more professional gear in the future.
The noise problems, I believe, will be solved in the future. Sony manufactures a lot of sensors for Nikon too, and they seem to handle noise perfectly, based on the same technology. So Sony will start thinking about that more and more.
I hope you stick with Sony and wish you a lot of luck going professional! :D

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:15 pm 
Like Bjorn says, get the camera that feels best since that's the most important factor in choosing a camera. The Sony A200 & A300 are very good cameras for the price. Sure, there are much better and pricier cameras but if you're learning the A200 & A300 will suit you just fine.

I've seen some really amazing shots with those cameras so unless you're really pro, I reckon the skill of the photographer will make a huge difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:44 pm 
Don't forget to keep an eye on related prices of other lenses/accessories for your collection of its respective brand! :wink:

i.e. don't just look at the price of the camera/cam kit.

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:29 pm 

SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:
Don't forget to keep an eye on related prices of other lenses/accessories for your collection of its respective brand! :wink:

Good thought SnS! Speaking of lenses/accessories, I listed them for Sony DSLRs in the Alpha compatible Lenses and Accessories guide. Check it out and find whatever you're looking for. I'm working on the Sigma lenses at the moment. Tamron glass will also be added soon.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux