Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:41 am 
Does anyone have the Sigma 500DG Super for the sony alpha camera?

It was recommended to me as a cheaper alternative than the sony branded flashes.

Is it a good alternative? what do you think of it? should I just save and buy a sony flash?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 am 

You might want to find out whether the Sigma flash supports all the functions of Alpha DSLRs. For example, the pop-up flash being used as a trigger for wireless (can it even do wireless?). How does it swivel around (up, down?, right, left).
Sony's flashes also have special features light auto white balance adjustment (or something like that) which is probably not present on Sigma flashes. If you really want to save money, the Sigma is probably a good option. If you want a flash that has maximum compatibility and performs well, the Sony HVL-F42AM (you read my review, right?), is definitely highly recommended. The HVL-F58AM is probably too much, you probably won't need it and it costs a lot more too.
Conclusion: I'd go for the HVL-F42AM (and I have gone for it :wink: ). See my "Alpha compatible lenses and accessories guide" for a link!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:03 am 
I've done research myself and the Sigma units support ADI and TTL for Sony. It also supports wireless and high speed shutter synchronization, but not at the same time like Sony models.

From what I've seen, it looks like a very capable flash unit. It is a very good alternative, but for a little bit more, you could get the EF-530 DG Super model, which is slightly more powerful. It also is 11 guide units (meters) more powerful than the 42 and still supports just about all of those functions.

If you want an honest opinion from me, I'd go for studio strobes, which is what I'm actually trying to do. Alien Bee's flash units are extremely powerful and versatile. But I don't think you're ready for those yet. :)

The EF-530 DG Super from Adorama is $269 USD which is $30 cheaper than the HVL-F42AM.