Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The tension...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 am 
First of all: Hello all! I'm a new forum member from the Netherlands, happy to join this nice forum.

martino wrote:
Sdrummer wrote:
I'm almost 99% sure that the A700 will see a noticeably fine price decrease. It's current price, in my honest opinion, is not the most reasonable.

Taking the cash-back into account, pricing of the A700 in the Netherlands is almost exactly on par with Pentax K20D and Canon EOS 40D (meaning ~750 euro). D300 is a big step upwards in price. I'm not sure why this pricing is unreasonable.

I'm also experiencing the dilemma whether to buy now or not. Could someone perhaps give an (educated) guess as to how much the price will drop?
The idea behind the question is that if the pricedrop is probably around tens of euro's (e.g. from ~750 to ~700-720) then I won't wait. If however the pricedrop may be hundred(s) of euro's, then that's a different story entirely!

PS: The current lowest A700K kit price is now € 973 (ex. cashback).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 am 

Hey Riedje, welcome of het Camera Labs forum. Fijn om steeds meer Nederlanders te zien hier!

OK, it's not polite to write in languages the rest of you don't speak. That was a welcome to Riedje in Dutch :) .

To answer your question, I don't expect to see a big pricedrop for the A700. It may fall slightly, by a few tens, but don't expect to see it available for hundreds of euros less. With an expected A700 replacement around the corner, Sony will probably keep prices at a level where they still make profit, and once they're sold out, put the new A750 (?) in the shelves.

My recommendation: buy it now, when you'll still get the cashback. €200,- is enough to buy yourself the HVL-F42AM flash gun, probably one of the most useful accessories to have!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Hey Riedje, welcome of het Camera Labs forum. Fijn om steeds meer Nederlanders te zien hier!

Goed voorbeeld doet volgen, bedankt! :)

My recommendation: buy it now, when you'll still get the cashback. €200,- is enough to buy yourself the HVL-F42AM flash gun, probably one of the most useful accessories to have!

Thanks for the advice. I believe I will do just that, waiting any longer will only prolong the agony of not having the A700 in my hands...
I happen to have a 5600-HSD already (previous film-SLR user) so I'll use the cashback to buy the SAL 55-200 instead. According to various websites/fora, this lens is a must-have for the price...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:25 pm 

Which lens will you be getting along with the A700? The Zeiss 16-80mm offers very good quality, of course, but is priced much higher than the 18-70mm.
Only 31 days till I get the 70-200mm! Can't wait :x . I already got the protective filter for that lens today. Wow, is that huge. 77mm diameter, of course, but I looks even larger. Sony supplies a pretty filter case with it, with Zeiss logo (because the filter has the Zeiss T* coating). I'll show a photo soon!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:53 pm 
Which lens will you be getting along with the A700? The Zeiss 16-80mm offers very good quality, of course, but is priced much higher than the 18-70mm.

I was thinking about buying A700 body only and then soon afterwards some additional CZ lens, but since the A700K kit is actually cheaper than body-only, I'll just take the 18-70 for granted ;)

My next lens purchases will probably be (order depending on how fast I can scrape the money together...):
- prime 50mm (2nd hand prolly, some minolta hi-q glass)
- Whichever CZ lens takes my fancy at that time (new)
- Beercan (2nd hand), after reading all those stories about it, it sure looks mighty interesting!

Only 31 days till I get the 70-200mm! Can't wait :x . I already got the protective filter for that lens today.

Only 70-200 I could find is AF 70-200 F2.8 G SSM. That's the one you're getting?
It sure is a massive piece of equipment :) Couldn't you wait for Sint Nicolaas to give you one??? ;) ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:45 pm 

The 18-70mm does indeed come with the camera for only a tiny amount of extra money, so if the other kit options don't appeal to you, that sure is a better option than buying the body only.

riedje wrote:
- Whichever CZ lens takes my fancy at that time (new)

No question what that would be: the 24-70mm f/2.8 SSM of course :D !

Yep, that's the one I'm getting. Lowest price is 1499 right now, but I want to buy it at Kamera Express (good service) and I don't know whether they'll give me a 100 euro discount. If so (I hope of course) I might just have enough money to buy a new tripod right away. Could come in handy with such heavy gear, my current tripod would simply split in three pieced if I'd put the A700 + 70-200mm on it.
Sinterklaas komt helaas niet meer langs bij ons thuis, maar met de kerst liggen wel cadeaus onder de boom. Ik was van plan wat geld aan m'n ouders te geven zodat ze de VG-C70AM grip voor me kunnen kopen.
(translated for y'all who can't read the above: Sinterklaas (Dutch/Belgian version of Santa, only comes earlier, read more on wikipedia) doesn't come to my house anymore, but at Christmas there are present under the tree. I'm thinking of giving my parents some money so they can buy me the VG-C70AM battery grip. (costs a little to much to ask as a Christmans present).

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:01 pm 
You might as well get the A700. If the A900 had been an FF with similar specs to the 5DMKII or D700, then I would;ve said go for it. But seeing as sony put all their eggs into the MP basket, who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
You might as well get the A700. If the A900 had been an FF with similar specs to the 5DMKII or D700, then I would;ve said go for it. But seeing as sony put all their eggs into the MP basket, who knows.

What about the 100% VF and image stabilizer? That was a bit biased I think :) ...and who wants a 5MP (APS-C compared) DSLR in the year 2008 :shock: hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:33 pm 

And 5fps, at 24.6 megapixels. 8)

- Bjorn -