Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buy a700 now or wait?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:14 am 
Im thinking of buying an a700, or possibly a successor. I have an a100 so im in no rush, but would like an upgrade.

The best offer I can find at the moment is:

a700 body only: £695

Minus cash back offer (-100)= £595

Ebay my sony a100 body (get around 100 maybe?) = 495

I preferably would like to wait and see what Sony has in store new camera wise and if the price of the a700 will go down. the problem is, if I wait then the cash back offer of 100 will expire as it stops at the end of September.

What do you think I should do? Most of you have more experience of how the DSLR market works than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:37 am 

I was somewhat in the same situation, albeit without a camera to start with ;). Perhaps the best thing to do is to answer a couple of questions for yourself like:

1. When do I need this A700?
You could wait for the kina to end, see what camera's are introduced and quickly buy the A700 before the 30th if you don't like the new offering. But then you have to act really quick though ;)

2. At what price do you think will the expected/rumoured upgrade will hit the streets?
Upgraded version will certainly mean upgraded price. Compare A700 the introductory price with the current offer to get an idea!

In my situation, a planned vacation in October and current attractive price-tag made me decide to buy now.

As for the A100: perhaps you could try a local camera store to find an attractive A100 tradein deal. If you decide to buy the A700 at that store, perhaps a better tradein value can be achieved.

Good luck! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:06 pm 

Rumours so far only have talked about an A900 launch in September. There's not been any strong indicators of a A700 replacement for this year have there? Or is the A900 distracting people too much that no one is paying attention to the A700 any more?

So on that note, I feel the chances of an A700 replacement in September to be low, and the A900 is going in a different position so shouldn't affect the current A700 much if at all. But if you can afford to wait, then you might as well just in case they pull a surprise out.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:33 pm 

Although the a900 will probably be a step too high for me. It would make sense, if Sony announces a updated a700 at the photokina. If they do, it will maybe be for release early 2009.

Personally, I'm waiting for the photokina news. That's why I bought a a200, just to get a feel for the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:42 pm 

Toby, I think you should wait until the A900 (NOT A700's successor, I think we all know that) is released. Replacing the highest-end DSLR in Sony's line-up, the A900 might cause the A700 to get a little cheaper (not a lot though, and it's only a guess). Then, if you don't want to buy lenses instead, you should buy the A700.
Best thing to do is buy the camera on the last day of the cashback offer. That way, you'll have the lowest price possible + cashback. I don't see the A700 going down in price by 100 pounds (value of cashback) after the release of the A900, so this might be the cheapest way of upgrading your gear.
It'd be nice to see another A700 user here on CL soon!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:48 pm 

I think that there is a point in time and “technology” when the word REDUNDANT comes into play.
If your not a professional photographer who requires the latest and greatest or someone that prints large posters for sale, there is a cut-off point in what is needed to produce excellent photography without wasting money.
For 90% of us the A900 won't be necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:40 pm 
The temptation to just take the plundge is definatly there and if I wanted to I could, im just cearfull with my money. I think im going to have to find a shop that has an a700 in stock and have a fiddle with one, its been a good 8 months since I held an a700.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:44 am 
WestCoast wrote:
I think that there is a point in time and “technology” when the word REDUNDANT comes into play.
If your not a professional photographer who requires the latest and greatest or someone that prints large posters for sale, there is a cut-off point in what is needed to produce excellent photography without wasting money.
For 90% of us the A900 won't be necessary.

It's very true.

The technology is developing really fast that there are always new products in the market every 3-4 months. Happy with what you have now will make you happier (though I also understand buying a camera will make you even more happier :-) It happens to all of us), and save you a lot of money.

Instead of over-invest in the hardware (some can cost you the salary of the entire month :shock:), I rather want to focus on the skills.
Here is a very good article of why your camera doesn't matter.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 pm 

tobywuk wrote:
I think im going to have to find a shop that has an a700 in stock and have a fiddle with one...

That sounds like a good idea. Perhaps you could think of the lens that's at the top of your wishlist before you go, and try that as well. Then you can weigh up what you'd rather buy: a new body or a new lens (or perhaps a flash gun :wink: ).

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:32 pm 

yung103 wrote:

Here is a very good article of why your camera doesn't matter.

Interesting article by Ken Rockwell, but since most of us (myself included) need all the help we can get, I won’t be trading in my DSLR for a “disposable instamatic” anytime soon.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:51 pm 
I've read Ken's article too and the message is that you can take good pictures with any camera if the light is right. With a magnificent scene at sunset or sunrise alsmost any camera will do a good job. For example this is the shot I took last winter from my window with a point-and-shoot 5mp Olympus camera

This photo was actually taken at midnight and the orange glare was coming from the sky because citylights were reflecting back from the snow. It was extremely bright outside. Of course, my Sony A200 that I did not have at that time would do a better job - richer colors, better contrast, dynamic range, less noise but the picture would still be very similar. Where DSLRs outperform point and shoot cameras is the scenes with more difficult and tricky light, not mentioning the ability to adjust a lot of other different parameters. So, I agree with the general idea of Ken's article as long as you have the right conditions and good light but this is unfortunantly only rare occasions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:06 am 
I say keep your A100 and invest in better glass before even thinking about a new body. If you're signature is correct, You've only still got both kit lenses. Those lenses are going to look even worse on the A700's sensor, let alone the 24 megapixel sensor on the Flagship.

Just pick a fast zoom and a few primes and then think about upgrading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:00 pm 

Perhaps go for the Zeiss 16-80mm first (24-70mm would be too expensive, I guess :D ). And a 50mm F1.4 would be great. Then perhaps the 70-300mm G or 70-200mm F2.8G SSM. The camera is not the most important part: the photographer comes first, then the lens, then the camera.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 pm 
FWIW, I was thinking about an A700, and am holding off a bit to see what's going on with the new Sony models.

Have a couple of events I plan on taking pictures at in the next month, but between a basic Nikon digital and my Minolta SLR, I'll be fine for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 am 
I'm almost 99% sure that the A700 will see a noticeably fine price decrease. It's current price, in my honest opinion, is not the most reasonable.

Since your not in a rush Toby, I suggest waiting. In the meantime, just keep taking pictures and increase your experience.

When the time is right, you will upgrade to whatever camera you want.

For now, I wouldn't jump towards the A700.