Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:35 pm 
Hi! First, I just wanted to say that I think the you guys are doing a great job with the site and your'e reviews are well written and informative. I have just finished reading your'e reviews for both the Canon Rebel Xti and the Sony A100, and I can't decide which camera to buy. This will be my first DSLR that I am purchasing and I have roughly $1000.00 to spend. I am really interested in the Canon Rebel Xti, but even if I buy the camera body without the bundled 18-55mm lens, I won't be able to afford a better lens, and the bundled lens seems likes it leaves much to be desired.

Thats why the Sony A100 caught my eye. Im not too sure how well the built in anti-shake really is, and the higher noise levels can definitely be a problem, but overall, it still seems like a really good DSLR and it comes bundled with a better lens than the Rebel Xti for about the same price. Which camera should I purchase? Also, is there a dramatic difference in the image quality between the two? :?

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jon, welcome to the Cameralabs forums.

The anti-shake in the Sony really does work, and its kit lens is a little better than the Canon 18-55mm. The Canon has lower noise levels, but this isn't that big an issue unless you either make very big enlargements, work at high ISOs, or spend an above average amount of time comparing images zoomed-into 100% on your monitor.

In terms of features and performance, I'd say the Sony has a very slight edge, but it's a very close thing. Unless one has a feature you definitely want, then the decision should boil down to which looks amd feels best to you in person. You'll almost certainly prefer the look and feel of one over the other - and it's an entirely personal choice.

At the end of the day though, the image quality is similar between them (ie, very good), and you wouldn't be disappointed by either model. They're both great cameras and we can highly reccomend them both.

Look out for some more comparisons between them at Cameralabs soon...

Gordon