Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:43 pm 

:( Ive noticed the E (sony )Lens has a #Retina# that closes completely when off 8)
I always use non sony lenses.recently i left the lens cap off my F1.4 40mm non sony while in a cafe i looked at the lens and wondered if being open and allowing light in it might damage the sensor

If not why do E lenses fully close when off :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 am 

Sure. Have you ever burned a hole in a piece of paper with a magnifying glass? Same principle. Of course, you need a very bright light source (like the sun), but it's certainly possible.

You're probably fine in a cafe, tho - Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 am 

:roll: Ive had my NEX5N in the sun :shock: Even during winter there was sun 8) I wondered if the sensor might be more sensitive to bright light even when off.

There are so many NEX to choose from :roll: NEX-3 new and very small but can you use non sony lens?The NEX-F NEX-6 NEX-7 NEX------ :shock: Im confused and the reveiws dont arrive until the models about to be discontinued

Im hopeing my NEX-5N will last a while longer,Its the best if wi-fi isnt needed & non sony lens are used

Im amazed there isnt a sony NEX forum somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm 

There are Sony NEX forums, in several of the larger photography-based forums.

As for damaging the sensor - not likely, unless you place the camera in such a way that the lens aperture is open and facing the sun, with magnification from a windshield or something. Otherwise, if the sensor is off, and the light coming through the lens is anywhere in a normal daylight range or less, I can't imagine it causing any problems at all for the sensor.

I regularly keep fast prime manual lenses on my NEX-5N, with no lens cap, and it spends time hanging around my neck, sitting on tables, even sometimes out on a park bench or fence rail in daylight...haven't suffered any sensor issues. My NEX3 was operated the same way, and no problems there either.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 pm 

:D A good reply wow i was worried,i just two weeks ago at a market the sun came out the leaves of the aperture were clearly to be seen,i did wonder if any damage might be done :(

When using an analog camera with the same lens its clear it shouldn't be left with the lens facing the sun for to long,but i realizedi had no idea if the sensitive sensor might be less robust :shock:

Thanks 8)

I still use my NEX.3 with Nikon lens and it is really good,I wondered if the new NEX 3 can be used with alternative lenses & has it the focus system with yellow(or other color) outline??? :roll: The NEX3 and 5N were much better value :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 am 

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/exposing-th ... page2.html

So according to the fist post on page 2 (linked), the manual specifically states:

"Do not expose the camera to sunlight or shoot sunward for a long time. The internal mechanism may be damaged."

Also note the experiment that fem2008 did:

"I cut a piece of 2" tubing to 43.5mm length (flange-back distance) and stretched a piece of light yellow paper over one end (I did not have green to simulate the sensor). I propped the aperture wide open and taped the tube to the flange end of the lens. I set the focus to infinity and pointed it towards the sun.

(continued from subsequent post)

"Update: The sun finally came out and I was able to do my test (see my previous post above). The Min 50mm was able to burn a hole in the paper in less than 10 seconds (7-9 seconds Typ.) The CZ85 did it in 3 seconds!"

Physics FTW - Mark