Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Metabones Speed Booster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 am 

Interesting idea. Kind of expensive, tho...

http://www.metabones.com/info/105-info/ ... ed-booster

Quote:
Speed Boosterâ„¢, which mounts between a mirrorless camera and a SLR lens. It increases maximum aperture by 1 stop (hence its name), increases MTF and has a focal length multiplier of 0.71x. For example, the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II lens becomes a 59mm f/0.9 lens on a Sony NEX camera, with increased sharpness. The faster F-stop allows for shallow depth-of-field and a lower ISO setting for decreased noise.

(...)

It will be available in January 2013 from Metabones' web site and its worldwide dealer network for US$599 plus shipping and applicable taxes and duties.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 am 

I'm a little skeptical about how this thing performs. Putting extra glass on either end of the lens can only degrade IQ imo. If you have a stack of APS lenses lying around or you want to migrate to m43 or NEX without starting a new lens collection, then this could work. I just think you will end up using oversized lenses on small bodies - with an extra chunk of glass added on.

For someone like me who went from 4/3 to m4/3 without all the baggage of a system migration, this thing represents the cost of a pretty decent new lense - and I know which I prefer.

I've read lots of accounts of people moving from DSLR to mirrorless systems recently, so I think this gadget would probably be a hit.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:33 am 

Well, since, as you noted, this adapter costs about what a decent lens would, I would hope that the optics are of that quality.

But I could be wrong - Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:17 am 

Well from where I see it, for the price it's being sold I don't think it would degrade IQ to a noticeable level, at least not for any non-L lenses (for what concerns Canon)