Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sony A900
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:38 am 
I found this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm, we can certainly hope so, but there have been quite a few fake Sony ads doing the rounds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:46 am 
well the reason i believe this one is that I also saw a picture of this same camera in an older issue of Digital SLR User.

But then again why is that Sony label red?

Post subject: Re: Sony A900
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:44 pm 

Nathan wrote:
I found this.

I posted the same image on a Dutch forum some time ago. The forum where I found it, contained some info about whether it is real or not:

---------------

Vervolgens is er een Creatieve Spaanse Prepresser ( Ik niet dus ) aan de gang gegaan om deze fake advertentie te vervaardigen.
Beeldje vrijstaand maken, achtergrondje erachter, een paar tekstblokjes erbij in een Sony Style en klaar is Clara.............
De tekst is gewoon uit een bestaande advertentie gehaald, alleen de megapixels zijn er bij bedacht.
In de onderste tekst is het oranje Alpha logo heel lelijk in de tekstbalk geplaats. Ze hadden waarschijnlijk geen goed Illustrator logo en moesten een te klein logo opblazen.
Bij de 9 in de 900 is een verkeerde letterfont gebruikt. Hierdoor wordt de 9 en tikkeltje te dik!!!

Het aantal megapixels van de "nieuwe" Exmor sensor is berekend vanuit een APS-C sensor naar een full frame sensor........
Gewoon 1.5 x 14.xx wordt 21.xx

De afbeelding is ook van de A700 APS-CMOS Exmor sensor. Afbeeldingen van een nieuwe FF sensor zijn er namelijk niet.
Daarvoor moet je bij Nikon zijn.

De foto van de camera is dus wel officieel

---------------

Let me translate that for you: (I gave my own twist to it, shortened it a little)

A creative Spanish prepresser (?) made this fake advertisement using the high resolution image from Sony.
He just added some texts, a background, gave a Sony-look and... finished!
The text is just copied from another ad (I quess from the A700, Bjorn).
The Alpha-logo is probably so red because they didn't have a high resolution logo, so they had to enlarge a small one, resulting in this fake look.
Also the 9 in 900 is too fat.
The resolution comes from one of the newest Sony sensors, the 14,? megapixel one. This APS-C format sensor was "converted" to FF: 1.5 x 14,? = 21,42 megapixels.
The image of the sensor is just the A700's sensor.

The image of the camera is real, but the rest of the ad is fake.

---------------

I'd like to be able to tell you this ad is real, but it's not. On the Dutch forum I added a poll asking whether people believed the add. Most people didn't.

EDIT: The "like.no.other" is also wrong, the l is too fat.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:59 pm 

Another reason why it's fake: (my own observation, not from the forum)
Look at the top dial: there's only the A and P. On the original Sony image there are also S and M on the dial, but nothing futher, because it's an image of the prototype. If Sony would release an ad, they would at least include an image of the final A900.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:58 pm 

After having seen this ad another time, I though of creating my own version. The image beneath was made by me, using Photoshop to edit the individual images and MS Power Point to paste it all together.

NOTE: THIS IS FAKE, 100%. I am just a beginner with Photoshop, so making something like this is not difficult for many people.

Some explanations:
- Let's start with the dial: on the prototype image of the A700, taken from the same angle, there were more letters and icons, so I copied that and put it on the A900.
- The image of the A900 is from the offical Sony site (see link in previous post). I deleted the white background with Photoshop.
- The logo, now in better colour is the first result you get when you type "sony alpha logo" in Google Images.
- For "Sony" and "900 DSLR" I used "Century Gothic", because that's most like the official Sony letters.
- The Sony-logo, like.no.other, Bionz, Exmor, HDMI, Photo TV HD were all copied from a pdf brochure of the A700.
- The text is also copied from the same brochure. I changed the amount of megapixels by copying the numbers and switching them around.
- The images of the sensor and processor are from Google.

I'd like to hear what you think of my work. It took me some time to make it, because I'm not very experienced with Photoshop CS2. It wasn't to difficult though.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:42 pm 

Well done, Bjorn!
Now we just wait for that thing to happen :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, nice work Bjorn! You should submit it to Sony!

PS - as for DSLR User, the photo seen here (and probably there) is a prototype Sony's been showing for some time. But they also showed a second prototype, and this ended up being essentially identical to the A700, so we can always hope!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:24 am 
Nice one Bjorn! Doesn't look like its been photoshopped at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:31 am 
This is fake from minoltaspain for december 28, day of the innocent...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:39 am 

Thanks for the compliments everybody!

Gordon Laing wrote:
You should submit it to Sony!

How should I do that? I can't find an e-mail address anywhere on the Sony site. I also want to send some photos of my custom-made gloves and scarf, but I guess I'll have to send some prints to Sony's headquaters.

- Bjorn -