Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:19 am 

:D I bought a sony NEX-3 Which is a very good camera :o I then bought a sony NEX-5N which is an even better camera 8) But both have menu problems :(

NEX-3 which i use with Nikon lenses is fast to focus gets good results.With the sony E lens,i found the settings changed unless OFF after each use.With non E-lens its much better.

NEX-5N gets amazingly good quality images,i can choose 10 sec delay before it goes into stand by which is my choise.The touch screen is not very good,have so far not found a way to use it to focus.

Worse when the toch screen is on it seems to bring the camera out of standby change the settings disaster

In use its just to annoying to find the video running after pressing the button by accident :cry: Today i wanted to make a self timer image of me writing this online in the tourist office on the French coast.After a considerable time i reset the settings then next attempt the video was running finnaly it simply wouldnt focus?????No idea why yet

Why cant sony simply take the controls from say a panasonic?I became very used to the controls on my LX-3 which i bought only a week before discovering the sony NEX The panasonic is quick easy and dose not change its settings alone

In gereral the NEX-5 runs well as i get used to it.But to change a setting can be a very slow process.With panasonic controls we would have the best camera on the market providing sony didnt apply panasonic prices as they have on the NEX-7 :shock:

If you are looking to buy a sony NEX-5N buy one they are mostly very very good ive had mine for about 6 months

ANOTHER PROBLEM I just remembered

I cant use 3D panorama as i dont have a 3D TV :( :shock: :shock:

I cant video using AVCHD as the software will not work with WIN 7 :shock: :shock: :shock: IT SAYS "THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT COMPATABLE WITH VIST OR WIN7 :( :shock: :shock: :shock:

Im now back with MP4

Such a long post for maybe one person to read during the next 6 months, :( Wish there was a forum thats visited and can offer advise(as i might be able to)

Im so angry with the setting system of sony

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:58 am 

Hi contrast,

Well, at least one person read it in less than 10 minutes!

Is your problem with the touch screen and focussing for video? I found a post elsewhere which suggested using the settings for video:

Shoot mode: P
Drive Mode: Single
AF/MF: DMF
Autofocus Area: Center
Autofocus Mode: greyed out
Object Tracking: On

Means nothing to me as I don't have the camera but maybe it will help? I had a very brief look at the various manuals and at first glance they are not that easy to use and that would certainly be a problem for me if I wanted to customise a camera. :evil:

I haven't got a 3D TV either. Can't really blame Sony for that but heck, why not!

Is the software you are referring to from Sony and supplied with the camera and is it the latest version? Very surprising and disappointing if it doesn't support all the camera's functionality under Windows 7.

Sorry not to have been of more help but maybe someone else can chip in...

Bob.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:48 pm 

Once you've set up any of the NEX cameras, they're actually very easy to use...Remember, you can set the two buttons next to the scroll wheel on the back to whatever you like. It may not be as customisable as my A77, but I have no problems with it whatsoever to be honest...

My photos on Flickr...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 pm 

Ive been useing a Leica as well :) Not im sorry to say one like yours,thats way beyond my means,i have a Leica 111c with Russian lenses
The Elmar i bought on ebay had been so badly repaired so many times its only fit to send back to ebay,Leica voitlander et al are a bit expensive :(

I know the NEX quite well by now,i found focusing by touch screen once on Utube but still have know idea how to do it will try your settings

I also found amazingly that the choise of shutter curtain had changed from on to off,i didnt bring my NEX as im sitting outside a French tourist office posting :lol: And setting up Linux puppy on a new Linux asus which crashed :cry: I think im there have to go back to the CD player then hope its finnaly on the SSD :roll:

I almost always have my NEX-5N with me,sometimes i remove the strap and have it in a pocket bag or just carry it,In summer (soon)ill use the strap of course I find the size perfect and the image quality amazing

The NEX-3 i can also recomend being larger with another grip its ideal for Leica :shock: Lens or in my case Nikon which haveing many i find i use an F2.8 135mm a lot and just now a 90mm F2 sometimes a 55mm F3.5 macro or 28mm F2.8 they produce stunning images and the focusing is easy.The 5N has less magnification for focus but the system is so good its not always needed

A problem there is i dont have white balence on the NEX-3 and have to dig into the menu when needed or change to E lens when the white balence re appears on the bottem button

IF ONLY sony could adjust the menu to switch off or better change the video button to another function,calling up video when needed from the menu

Its wonderful that your a moderator

Thanks for the rapid reply 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 pm 

I hate the NEX menus, but love my NEX. Part of the reason is that I don't have to use the menus for anything. I love the upgrade from the NEX3 ot the NEX5N, because it has even greater flexibility to alter the controls for custom use.

The key to getting along with the NEX for me is to get away from the menus. With the NEX-5N, you can set 7 different custom controls, and already have 2 very important controls with direct access, meaning a total of 9 important camera controls can be accessed without using the menus. I've been a photographer for a while, and can tell you there are rarely times I need access to more than that many controls from shot to shot.

Remember though - don't put important controls on the bottom soft button! That button automatically changes to different functions depending on the mode you're in and the lens used, so it's best left to something less important. I stuck my DRO/HDR control there.

The most important one is the center button...on the NEX-5N, it can store 5 main functions. This is where you can keep the important stuff...for me, I keep: ISO, White Balance, Focus mode (AF, MF, DMF), Metering mode, and focus area.

Then, the right button is great for one more function...for me, I find it excellent to place AE Lock there, so I can lock down the exposure any time. The left button already controls Drive Mode, which is a great control to have, and the lower button already controls EV, a much needed control. Of course, the jog wheel controls aperture or shutter in the priority modes. So if you have control over all those things without going into the menu...what more do you need?

Also, my way around the touch screen? I turn it off. I've never used it, and have no interest in it. The controls work beautifully when set up custom, and I can change all my settings with no fuss, no menus, and no wonky touch screen worries.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:32 pm 

Im having a problem with white balance.I scroll through until the image looks ok,This works in subways with neon.

Now im finding lots of argon arc lamps,they caste a golden red or yellow color.When i press custom i get an error

How should i use my WB?

Changed my settings lot better.i had creative style but not WB with Nikon lens