Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Considering the NEX-7
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:24 pm 

I never really took the NEX cameras serious because they didn’t make sense to me, but the NEX-7 has got me thinking. For quite a while now I have been looking at finding a second camera to compliment my 7D, which I love, but is often not really practical to take with me. Maybe a NEX-7 could be a viable option as a replacement of my 7D.

What do you people think?

I would replace my 7D with a Leica M9 if I could afford one, because it offers a smaller camera and the use of great lenses, as well as the convenience of digital (I do a little stop-motion photography). The NEX-7 does much the same for a lower price. I could even use the Zeiss ZM lenses I like so much.

Would it make sense to consider trading in the wonderful 7D for a NEX-7, when I could also go for a GF3 with the new pancake zoom and keep the 7D?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:10 pm 

Quote:
to compliment my 7D, which I love

I wouldn't trade in a camera you love for a system that hasn't made sense to you in the past.

The 7D is not very portable in someways but is a hell of a camera. I doubt the NEX system will match up enough to replace it

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with 496 Ball Head. Gorilla Pod SLR
Canon Powershot A720IS with CHDK and intervalometer script. Pentax Optio W90

My Blog - http://www.ianganderton.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:24 pm 

Here's a video review that's good/amusing.

https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/201 ... field-test

I'm also seriously thinking about the NEX-7 as I like City photography, but I'm not going to sell my A700, just have both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:26 pm 

Thanks for posting the review, quite funny and still informative.

The thing is, the NEX-7 makes sense to me. I held the 3 and 5, both of which felt unbalanced. The standard zoom is quite small, but I thought it required a slightly larger body than the 5. The 7, I think, would be a much better size. At that size it would be more serious than a pocket camera (like the m4/3 alternatives).
With that, the 7 has the control dials missing from the others, the type of controls that are also missing from the m4/3 alternatives.
The high quality EVF is another quite unique feature, and importantly, placed in the right spot.

When I consider the NEX-7, it seems to come very close to what I use the 7D for. Considering the cost of both systems, owning both would feel a bit excessive when the performance is so close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:01 pm 

I'll ask that the discussion continues in the official thread. Saves duplication and would have saved me time spent composing what turned out to be a duplicate post about the YouTube preview.

Bob.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]