Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:22 pm 
Hello All,

I am trying to take some photos with slow shutter speed ( 10"-30" ) to have some blur effect in water. But when I reduce the shutter speed belo 4" to 5" photo gets a lot exposure ( extreme bright ) and the complete photo comes as a pure white , with no image in it at all...

any idea how to get a picture with slow shutter speed with perfect exposure ? I tried with high Aperture value still the photo becomes white...

And when I increase the shutter speed ( 1/2000-4000 ) the photo becomes very dark so have to use flash. Still sometime this flash is not giving a good exposure to have a natural photo..

Please guide me what all combinations can be used to get a better photo.

Thanks.
Niks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:58 pm 

Hi nj78,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

The technology you need to avoid over-exposing those water shots is called a neutral density (ND) filter (Wiki article) but that leaves you a problem as you'll have to source an adapter ring (filter adapter) for your DSC-HX100V, something it's not designed to accept. For one-off shots you might be able to get away with fastening a ND gelatin filter over the lens if you can find a suitable one. Your only other alternative, that I can think of, is to take the shot at twilight or dawn if you are an early riser By the way, check out Gordon's How to blur water for a creative effect tutorial.

As for the second half of your post, you can't just use arbitrarily short shutter speeds without taking into account the available light. Yes, you can increase the ISO but that carries its own drawback of a potentially noisier (more grainy) image and in any event you eventually hit your camera's ISO limit (3200) after which the auto-exposure system has no choice but to under-expose your images if you insist on using shutter speeds too fast for the available light. Typically you'll only want to use such short shutter speeds if you need to freeze fast moving subjects or you are trying to avoid camera shake at extreme telephoto focal lengths; otherwise they are probably best avoided.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.