Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: the n1 and the n2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:41 pm 
i want to buy new sony camera ..i was thinking about the n2 but than i saw is every internet site that the n1 is more expensive (strange cause the n2 have 10 megapixel!!).........somebody can explain me how is it? thanx!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:52 pm 

Liran,
this is perhaps a temporary situation! At least in Germany the N1 sells cheaper (starting at 284€) than its successor the N2 (starting at 330€). The latter has also a slightly larger sensor, which is always good.
You certainly read Gordons test and are sure better off buying the N2 over the N1. Just take care to buy it from a reliable source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Liran555, welcome to the fourms.

It's not unusual to find older cameras costing more than their successors. It's all to do with stock levels and discount schemes.

The N1 and N2 are very similar cameras, but the N2 is definitely the better of the two, so don't be put off by the cheaper price!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:39 am 
I hope this may helps:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N1 Digital Camera – has an average expert rating of 86 (based on 14 expert sources)

http://www.smartratings.com/review/phot ... ameras/363

Sony Cybershot DSC-N2 Digital Camera – has an average expert rating of
76 (based on 4 expert sources)

http://www.smartratings.com/review/phot ... cameras/51

Perhaps, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N1 Digital Camera is better if it fits your budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Alex, thanks for your message.

I'm always a little sceptical about those sites which take the scores from lots of other publications and average them out though, because every site has different testing methodologies, different ratings systems and different weightings, so for starters you can't compare 80% from one with 80% from another.

These averages become even less meaningful when they're taken from different sources! They average 14 reviews of the N1 but just four for the N2, so what if the first average included samples from sites known for biased scores towards a particular manufacturer? If these sites aren't included in the other average, it'll be skewed. And for the N1 they list three sites which gave it 100%, including a couple which are really shopping sites, not review sites.

I can't speak for the other publications, but as far as Cameralabs is concerned, the percentage score we award a product is based on everything we've seen up to that point. We of course know there'll be better products coming in the future, but the score we give is based on the current state of play. So our N2 score isn't comparable to our N1 score becuase a whole year had passed. That's why we always put in what we've compared it against by the score - such as 'compared to 2007 budget compacts'.

Sorry if I sound like a killjoy, but we take our testing very seriously and when another site takes weeks of work from multiple publications and simply averages it out without any consistency, scientific reason or indeed performing any of their own tests, you'll forgive me for saying something!

I hope that explains our position anyway!

The bottom line is the N2 is definitely better than the N1, but as we mentioned, due to supply, you might see remaining stocks of the N1 actually priced higher.

Cheers!

Gordon