Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Do you think the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W90 is worth buying?
Yes! It's an Exellent (compact) Camera! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes! But there are better (compact) Cameras... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm not sure about this (compact) Camera... 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
I think there are better Cameras... 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
I think there are much better Cameras... this one is not worth buying 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:30 pm 
Hi, I'm kinda new to the Forum, but i've been following the site for a long time (Exellent job by the way! I think it's the best Digital Camera site ever!)

Yesterday I received my Sony Cybershot DSC-W90, I'm very happy about it, and it's design is just great... BUT!
I have some really tormenting questions in my head... perhaps maybe you could help me... :)

1) Why does the "Program Auto" mode (the mode in which you can adjust the setting as you prefer) doesn't have the "Face Detection Technology"? Every time I want to use it, I have to switch to "Auto Adjustment" which has settings that I don't like.

This question really kills me...

2) How to adjust the Aperture and Shutter speed settings in the Program Auto mode? I really can't understand it... I tried everything, but I can't get it! I really want to make the shutter speed way faster! I want to catch everything without the motion!

I think that is it... thanks for the attention (and sorry for my bad English... I just came in Canada 12 months ago from Italy ^^")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Yarko, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I haven't tested the W90, so I can't be sure, BUT I don't think you can change the aperture and shutter speed manually on it. On models like the W200, there is an M mode for manual, which lets you change both, but I can't find it on the W90.

SO if you want faster shutter speeds, you should select the sports mode or increase the ISO value to make the camera more sensitive, but make sure you put the ISO back to a low number afterwards because big ISOs give bad picture quality.

As for face detection, if it's like the W200, then you can ONLY have it in Auto or Portrait modes. Pretty annoying!

Gordon

PS - our W200 review is here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_ ... t_DSC_W200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:51 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Yarko, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I haven't tested the W90, so I can't be sure, BUT I don't think you can change the aperture and shutter speed manually on it. On models like the W200, there is an M mode for manual, which lets you change both, but I can't find it on the W90.

SO if you want faster shutter speeds, you should select the sports mode or increase the ISO value to make the camera more sensitive, but make sure you put the ISO back to a low number afterwards because big ISOs give bad picture quality.

As for face detection, if it's like the W200, then you can ONLY have it in Auto or Portrait modes. Pretty annoying!

Gordon

PS - our W200 review is here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_ ... t_DSC_W200

Oh, Thanks a lot!! You're right, there isn't the M mode... and the bad thing is that there isn't the "sports" mode neither =_=
Well, I guess I'm gonna have to shoot with that slow shutter...
I'm going to read the review, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Increasing the ISO is still an option...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Increasing the ISO is still an option...

Currently it's set to Auto, maybe I should increase it to 800...

You are right! with a low ISO, after taking a picture it says "capturing", and then "processing", with a higher ISO, it doesn't take that much... but it's still not what I wanted... my cat runs, and when I take a picture of him, it comes out blurry, and not with the cat "running" (I don't know if you understand me...)

Also, I wanted to ask you:

When you press the shutter button, first, it takes focus, and then it shots... does this process happen with every compact camera? does it happen with the DSLRs?
I'm asking you, because sometimes this "process" is very frustrating... I can't really "catch" the moment...

Also... (sorry if i'm attacking you with all these questions... ^^")

The options "Metering Mode" that control the exposure, it's currently set on "Multi", maybe I should set it to "Center", or "Spot"? What's the difference?
Same with the "focus", it's currently on "Auto", maybe I should change it to "Center", "Spot", or "Unlimited Distance"?

I'm sure you know more about it...

Edit= One last thing xD: Do you know how to turn off the volume? because I want to take pictures in a church, and the sound that it makes when it shoots, is very loud xD Can I turn it off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:27 am 
Site Admin

You can turn the volume down - it'll be in one of the setup menus.

Yes, there is a delay between pressing the button and the camera taking the photo on all models. BUT some are much faster than others. Most compacts are slow, whereas most DSRs are quick.

You'll notice when you half-press the shutter release that the camera focuses. If you keep it held in this halfway position, then it'll take the photo much quicker when you press it all the way down. But half-pressing will lock the focus (and probably the exposure too), so you have to make sure the subject doesn't change its distance! It can still be a handy trick.

Setting the focus manually will also speed up the process, but again you have to get the distance correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:06 am 
Understood! ^^ Thanks a lot! :wink: