Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buying Alpha 550
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 pm 
Yeah, so my dad has decided that he preaty much wants the A550 (tho his birthday is next week).
We have decided on getting this realy sweet deal on a website.

They are selling a Sony A550Y (A550 + 18-55mm and 55-200mm lense) and you can add some kit stuff at a discount.
So:
-Sony Alpha 550Y
-SanDisk Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo 16 GB (30 MB/s)
-Sony LSC-SC20 carry bag
-Hama Star 63 Tripod (with carry bag)
-Sony NP-FM500H Battery (backup battery)
All together for 1120€

I can also add a battery grip, flash and extra lense with the kit, but that will make it a tad expensive :D
You can see what else they are allowing you to put in the kit at the middle (under the comparison with other cameras) of the Alpha 550Ys page.

Anyways, i just want to know what you people think about this, if its a good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:14 pm 

Hard to tell on the deal, as I don't know what typical pricing is where you are. But the price sounds high if I compare to the U.S. market prices right now. Typically, the A550 and two lens kit is running between $930-1,000 (€720-788). The 16GB MS ProHG duo is around $77 (€60), and the extra Sony FM500 battery around $45 (€36). The carry bag and tripod aren't anything special - $20-30 throw-ins. So if all of this were compared to U.S. prices, I'd say it sounds a little high.

You can go with cheaper memory cards than that, BTW. The buffer on the A550 is large, and even the slower UltraII sandisk cards or standard-grade MS Pro Duo cards work fine - I can still fire off 5fps or 7fps continuously for 30+ shots with both of these cards. The extra battery really isn't needed unless you are going on some seriour trips with no power sources - the battery lasts forever on these things - rated at 1,000+ shots - which means without flash and including continuous bursts, it's not hard to exceed 2,000 shots per battery charge.

The tripod and bag I personally wouldn't care about - so I'd hunt for a really good, low price on the camera + lens package, then just buy a Sandisk or Sony mid-level MS Duo or SD card for $50 or so.

Again pricing in your country may be higher...but U.S. equivalent, I'd think you should be able to get camera, two lenses, and 16GB card for round-about €850.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm 
Most of the stuff i found that was in europe was in the 1000€ price range.
Might be because your in America =/