Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, you got it Joris.

Anything which can record video for more than half an hour is classed as a video camera by European tax regs, with a higher rate of tax than a still camera. Since this would raise the price of the camera, the manufacturers simply lock the maximum recording time.

One workaround is to buy from the USA, where there's no limit, although obviously there may be a PAL / NTSC standards issue.

An interesting alternative for Euro folk is to buy from Australia or NZ, which are PAL regions, but without the restrictions - that's why most of the cameras I test, sourced from NZ, don't have this restriction.

Note that some cameras are locked at half an hour regardless, and others will actually hit a 2 or 4GB file limit which will prevent them from going any further before even reaching 30 mins.

Post subject: Some Reviews
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:52 am 
SLRClub
Part 1: http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=s ... asc&no=166

Part 2: http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=s ... asc&no=167

The New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/techn ... pogue.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:14 pm 
Hey Gordon,

when you review Nex series high ISO shots cover HTT and anti-motion blur modes as you did with HXV5

Post subject: More photos to compare
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:28 pm 
Nex 5
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/ ... ew/gallery

G2
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panas ... ew/gallery

EPL1
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olymp ... ew/gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 am 

Hi folks,

Michael Reichmann has penned some first impressions about the NEX-5 over at Luminous Landscapes. While the following quote summarising his view of the camera is a good sound byte to attract readers there are also enough serious caveats about the usability of the camera to make me question its suitability for the enthusiast looking for a pocketable alternative to a DSLR:
    Kind of like the beautiful girl who really attracts you, but then when she opens her mouth speaks in a shrill and annoying voice while blowing bubble gum.
Does that make the NEX-5 the Lina Lamont (video) of the camera world? :P

OK, that was harsh but it certainly seems that Sony still have work to do to make the most of the hardware. The article in question can be read here.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:32 am 

An interesting read. The interface is one of those things you don't get a feel for on the spec sheet, and here it seems more important than ever. I love the following line:

Quote:
The NEX-5's user interface may well be one of the most frustrating that I have ever encountered. (A few years ago Olympus wore that crown).

Ouch! I'm not a fan of the E-P1's user interface, or the E-510 before that, so for Sony to have come up with something possibly worse from a photographer's perspective is quite an achievement. It's a shame, as I really do want that tilting screen of the NEX. I thought perhaps as next NEX generation models come out I might switch from Olympus, but the whole market area is essentially open to look that far ahead.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:37 am 

With KM and Sony's history of user-friendly interfaces (look at their DSLRs), I find MR's comments hard to believe. Especially after seeing pictures of the interface, and the video interview of WhatDigitalCamera with Paul Genge (Sony UK) in Split (Croatia), after/prior to the launch of the NEX-cameras.

I mean, it's inevitable that on such a small body, you'll have to get into the menu to change the ISO :roll:...on a DSLR you just press the button et voilà...

Just wished they made control during video available. I'd really like to film with a small aperture, and manual focusing...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject: User Interface Online
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:15 am 
It's not bad at all.

Nex user interface is online

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/dslr/nex5-nex ... -operation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:30 am 

To me it looks straightforward...but who am I, as Sony DSLR user...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:58 pm 

Here’s how the Nex-5 looks in its physical state. Picture from a catalogue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:04 pm 
Menu System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d56Kj1m5s0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:47 pm 
Had a look at another NEX-5 for a few minutes last night and it had the flash attached. The flash is really awful and plasticky and it looks like something that could break really easily. The bottom of the camera isn't great either, as for some reason Sony decided that it was a good idea to do two "cut outs" on each side of the tripod mount, while the battery compartment is actually on the same level as the tripod mount. This seems to have been done purely to try and make the camera feel smaller than it is, but it also means that it won't mount well on a tripod.
The screen hinge wasn't as stiff on this model which was a good thing, as it didn't feel like I was about to snap the screen off as I was moving it around.
The lenses still feel amazing and I really wish other manufacturers would follow Sony here, if nothing else but for the plain and simple reason that the lenses look really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:22 pm 

If I could control the aperture and the other settings during video capture, I'd be ordering it right now :). The chrome lenses, especially when used with the silver-coloured body, are superb in build quality and just beautiful to see indeed!

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:49 pm 
Sadly there is no aperture/shutter control in video. Sony is also releasing a camcorder with the same sensor and mouunt too though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnHQyLtbjok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:52 pm 

Quite correct, it has been known for a while. A reason (for me) to wait for a possible NEX-7...although I'd really like to pick one up right now :).

My photos on Flickr...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next