Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:32 am 
The one I played with really fast as well, but as that was with the 16mm lens... I'm not sure how fast the 18-55 is.
One problem with the 16mm is that it's really wide, as it's the equivalent to a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera, unlike the 17mm on micro 4/3's which is more like 34mm wide. This means that it might not be suitable for all shooting scenarios. The 16mm was totally silent as far as I could tell, but again, it's wasn't entirely quiet where I had I play with it.

Personally, at least after my short play with them, I'm a big fan. I don't think either could be s straight DSLR replacement, but for those that want a compact camera with DSLR features I think they offer a good compromise. Hopefully Sony will tweak things between now and the retail availability next month to sort out the little niggles people are having with them. It's a brand new category for Sony and I have a feeling it'll take a little work to tweak the UI etc.

Would I get one? Well, for what I do I think I could even replace my 500D, but after having read a few of the early reviews, I'm not sure it would offer me all the benefits of the 500D. I'd easily swap when it comes to size and weight, but the large zoom lens is very expensive and quite heavy. I don't have much use for the 16mm lens and I need more range than the 18-55mm can offer. The video features of the NEX-5 are appealing as I also have an HD camcorder that I use quite regularly, but as I didn't have a chance to test out the video mode, I don't know how well this would compare.

I think these cameras will be a hard act to follow in terms of wow and want factors, but I'm certain that other manufacturers can come up with something that is technically superior in terms of features and maybe even picture quality. We'll just have to wait and see I guess, but another win for Sony is the very keen price points and I think we'll see some big drops in prices of micro 4/3 cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:23 pm 

And now others rumors are coming in: a NEX-7 seems to be on the way. This rumor has been published before, in February.

“NEX 7
Design totally different to NEX5/3, and more bigger size
Spec unknow yet
Support XDCAM recording format
soonest release is on Sept, unless Panasonic announce GH2”

(Sonyalpharumors.com)

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

The first thing which struck me when looking at the NEX bodies with a big lens is how much they resembled the earlier F505-F717 range of compacts a few years ago. I really liked those cameras and owned almost every one of them. (I didn't own the F828 though as DSLRs had started to become affordable at that point)

The ergonomics of resting the lens in your left hand while you tilted the body with your right and shot at lower angles worked very well in my view - although of course now the body doesn't tilt, only the screen, so it may not be as easy to hold at low angles. I'm looking forward to testing them, but I can't say when that'll be - it's in the hands of Sony NZ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:03 pm 

Now that the announcement excitement is over, I'm not all that excited anymore. Surely, the cameras offer some great features in such a small body, but what lenses will be available? Bob's NEX + Summulix looks great, but we're yet to see such fast glass available for the Sony. Also, I wonder what the manual control capabilites are in video-mode...
Looking forward to the review Gordon!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:39 pm 
I too am looking forward to -- and will wait for -- Gordon's insights.

I'm also looking for reviews that give more than a passing mention of the Aperture priority mode and Shutter priority mode. Though everyone says this a camera designed for automatic scene mode use, I still want to know what the more traditional modes look like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:56 am 
well, Gordon, can't you ASK Sony NZ to send Nex 5 + two kit lenses to test?

The other sites seem to get the cameras before they are even announced!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:46 am 

Bjorn, if I remember the text on a Sony website correctly the video cannot be altered in terms of aperture, ISO, etc...I could be wrong, though.

Perhaps the NEX-7 will have it...that would be a similar approach as to their DSLR's: having different models, ranging from cheaper to the most expensive ones, each one having a couple of features extra (like the A450/500/550)...

Looking forward to the review, too, Gordon!

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:48 pm 

Hi folks,

The BJP has offered these thoughts about the NEX-5 which, the way I read it, are less than complimentary about the 18-55mm “kit” lens but are reasonably complimentary about the 16mm pancake. I think this highlights the urgent need for Sony to either expand the lens range or make adaptors for third party glass a priority.

A number of sample videos have appeared on YouTube which seem to echo comments I've read elsewhere about the susceptibility to wind noise. Hopefully, for those needing better quality sound outdoors, the ECM-SST1 willl come to the rescue.
No word of an adaptor to allow use of third party solutions. So a dedicated microphone socket is another item to add to the wish-list for the NEX-7, should it ever become a reality.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:12 pm 
It looks like there's a lens hood for the 18-55 that when not in use can be stored in reverse on the barrel itself:

Not sure if the lens hood is usable at the 18mm end of the range though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi oneguy, what you have to realise is the other sites are based in (or close to) major cities in the Northern Hemisphere where there's plenty of supply.

When I lived in London I could get pretty much anything, but down here the story is very different. NZ is pretty remote, and I'm based in a remote part of that! Sometimes certain products arrive much later here, or are simply not available at all. I hope you'll agree that given my location, I do manage to get hold of lots of products in a timely fashion - for example my Panasonic TZ10 / ZS7 and Canon 550D / T2i reviews came out before many of the other big sites.

I have of course already requested the NEX cameras, but I believe they may be around a month away for NZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 pm 

Time for everyone who's considering one of these cameras to start saving! :)

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:52 am 
going by IR samples, looks like it will have really good high ISO -- best for Sony :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:01 pm 

What stands EVIL for?

BTW, I think those Sonys are making it, but I think theyre ugly, the PENs from Olympus will fit me better;)
Shame there's no viewfinder.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 pm 
EVIL I believe is electronic viewfinder, interchangeable lens.

It took me ages to work out people weren't just saying theyre literally "evil"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:50 pm 

Haha :lol:

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next