Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: unfortunate
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:18 pm 
Thats unfortunate to hear. Now that the NEX cousin, the VG10 prosumer video camera has been announced, I hope you'll change your mind and still do an in-depth review/video review of the NEX-5/3. People will want as much *honest* information on this brand new (and ground breaking) system as a whole and thats clearly your forte.

Anyway, hope it comes through soon for your review and all the best to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:20 pm 
I was really concerned about the NEX-5 menu system after reading all the negative reviews. After having used the camera for a week now, I found it to be over emphasized. In fact, I find the menu system to be quite usable for most situations.

I shoot mostly in AP mode. Adjusting aperture is simply a turn of the wheel. Adjusting exposure compensation is a press down on the wheel and then a turn of the wheel. ISO is a little more cumbersome, but also only 3 or four clicks.

There are some functions that are even easier to get to than on my DSLR. I think the menu system encourages exploration. My reference for the last couple of years has been the Canon 40D. I found the 40D menus to be quite confusing when trying to find seldom adjusted functions. The only feature I miss a little is having independent exposure and focus lock.

I bought this camera for those times when I didn't want to carry the SLR, but still have top notch image quality. So far, it has met that requirement very well. Plus it's been fun and easy to use.

I bought the camera with both lenses. The 18-55mm performs very well. The 16mm not so good. I returned it for focus problems and major purple fringing (the worst I've ever seen). I'm inclined to believe the lens is defective. I will probably replace it after I've had a chance to read what others are saying about it.

These are my perceptions of the NEX-5. Just wanted to add my voice to what I believe is a misunderstanding of the camera's menu system and performance.

I truly believe that the more serious photographer will enjoy using this camera if he isn't looking for every feature found in his full DSLR.

Tomel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:01 am 
I had a brief play with the NEX-5 at the Sony Store. I have been using the HX-1 for over a year and the NEX-5 menu system is VERY familiar.
It is just basically the same as the HX-1 with extra features. You don't get the actually dial but the jog/dial LCD equivalent. It is not THAT bad. Not A900 friendly but in line with Sony's other point and shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, Sony NZ finally got hold of an NEX-5 for me a few weeks ago and I've been putting it through its paces. Ahead of our upcoming full review, I thought you'd enjoy a preview of the High ISO Noise results, against the Olympus E-P2 and Nikon D90.

Sony NEX-5 High ISO Noise results!

Add before you ask, yes, there will be results pages showcasing Handheld Twilight AND Anti Motion Blur modes, along with some RAW comparisons!

PS - the NEX 5 was running firmware v2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:17 am 

Read :lol:
Thanks Gordon, the Sony seems to be very good at 12800 ISO!
No colour noise, I think it's better than the 7D?
However, we have to wait for the RAW test, without noise reduction.
From the noisy lower end Alphas (not to forget the more expensive ones!), to the mid range (A5xx and Nex) without much noise!
Strange strategy.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ruben, there will be a RAW comparison, but not without NR. Like most of my reviews I used the supplied software with the default settings.

Post subject: NEX Lenses
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:30 pm 
After having used the NEX-5 camera for about a month now, I've decided that the lenses are the weak point. I'm not at all satisfied with the results using either kit lens.

I decided to buy a Leica M to NEX lens adapter and have been using a Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2 for the past few days. The results are fantastic! The images are tack sharp and better in every way than the stock lenses.

One of my complaints with the Sony 16mm was that it has extreme color fringing. The Voigtlander has no perceptible fringing and is sharp across the frame from f/4 to f/11. The only downside is that the Voigtlander is manual focus only. I'm actually enjoying manual focus as it brings back my memories of shooting before auto focus. And the lens feels and looks great on the NEX-5 body.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tom, could you show us some photos? Both with the lens and of the camera fited with the lens so we can see how it looks! Also, which adapter did you get and how much did it cost?

Do you miss not having AF? I'm presuming the exposure also only becomes manual or aperture priority, right?

As for the Sony lenses, I only have a pre-production 16mm, so I'm not testing that one - BUT I have been quite impressed by the 18-55mm.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:29 am 

The attached photo shows the NEX-5 with the Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2 lens. It is mounted with a Rayqual Leica M to NEX adapter which cost $220.00 US. Voigtlander also makes a good quality adapter for $179.00 US. There have been some problems reported with the cheaper adapters that don't secure the lens tightly which can make focusing difficult.

This lens is high quality and in line with the feel of the NEX. The Voitlander is all metal so it is heavier than the Sony 18-55mm while being physically smaller.

Manual focusing has some benefits. It makes you think and plan a little more. Like with film when every frame is precious. The NEX will still auto adjust ISO and shutter speed. I have mine set to auto ISO and aperture priority. In addition, the 7X and 14X focus assist is very helpful. Quick shots are out of the question unless you pre-focus.

I found one problem with this setup. After taking a photo, the image review screen is accurate, but when I press the enlarge button, the image completely breaks down and is unviewable. If I turn the camera off then back on again, I can enlarge the image but the colors have a greenish tint. I've contacted Sony support to see if they have any suggestions. Haven't heard back from them yet.

All and all it's been a positive experience. I'll post an image or two as soon as I get a chance.

Tom

Last edited by tlatone on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:40 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Tom, sounds good - apart from the image review that is... are the actual image files ok when you get them on your computer?

PS - did you mail order from Rayqual's website in Japan? Any problems with tax or delivery?

Post subject: Image Files
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:19 am 
Gordon, the images look good on the computer. I've printed some at 13x19 and 17x22 and they look terrific! I think the NEX sensor can resolve a lot of detail given good quality lenses. I agree with you that the 18-55mm lens seems pretty good most of the time. I suspect that the camera improperly focuses at times. Certainly a lot more often than I'm used to with my Canon DSLR. Contrast based auto focus may not be as reliable as phase detection.

I got the Rayqual adapter from Japan Exposures http://www.japanexposures.com They shipped quickly and kept me well informed of it's progress. As I recall, there was no tax and relatively inexpensive shipping.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Tom, be sure to post - or at least link to - some of your photos taken with the lens - we'd love to see them!

Do you think you'll be getting any other adapters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:26 am 

Hi tlatone,

Wow. Way back on page 1 of this thread I posted a fake of the NEX-5 paired with a Leica Summilux 21mm f/1.4 ASP but I much prefer your shot of the real thing with a Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2. A lot cheaper too. Drool... :mrgreen:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:24 pm 
Gordon, I'm planning on ordering a Nikon to NEX adapter. I have several old Nikon manual focus lens to try. This whole thing is starting to feel like a poor man's Leica. And that's a good thing!

Bob, the Voigtlander lens is very small, the adapter and the hood make it look bigger than it is. Attached it is about the same length as the 18-55mm. It's diameter is only a little bigger than the lens cap of the 18-55mm. I think the scale of the NEX and the Voigtlander together is almost perfect and feels solid in my hand. Really liking it so far.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:23 am 
OK, as promised here are some photos taken with the Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f/2 lens on the NEX-5. These are straight from the camera only reduced for posting. All are jpeg except as noted.

For those who have been following this experiment, the enlarge image review problem appears to be isolated to photos recorded in RAW format. JPG images appear to enlarge properly.

These photos can be seen here on flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tlatone/

Tom

This is a 100% crop from the above image.

This is a 100% crop from the above image.

This was taken in RAW format.

Last edited by tlatone on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next