Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Bjorn, you should...
... keep your zoom lenses. 78%  78%  [ 14 ]
... sell your zoom lenses. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 pm 

Short introduction to my dilemma: I've been shooting some events lately that I love to shoot, available light, not too high a pace of work, just the kind of thing I like to do. While shooting those pictures, I've mostly been using my 50mm. On the other hand, I don't really use my zoom much. In fact, when I was out shooting pictures at a big family anniversary party today, I used the Zeiss for two shots, the 70-200mm for three.

I feel my style of photography has changed. It's more close and personal. With even shallower DoF. I like zooming with my legs.

So, my dilemma:
- keep my lenses and continue saving for new camera gear, see how I like the zoom lenses on a full frame camera, then decide.
- sell the Zeiss 24-70mm and 70-200mm G, get the A900/A850 with grip, 35mm f/1.4 G and be well on my way to a 16mm f/2.8 fisheye or that upcoming Zeiss 24mm f/2 SSM.

Pros for the second option are: I'd have a full frame camera, which I want. I'd have a 35mm, which is quite wide enough for me on FF. I'd use my 85mm more (it's a little long on APS-C). I'd have my A700 as a back-up. I'd actually use the gear I have, more anyway.
There are cons to the option too, though. What if the zooms are that much different on full frame? Will I regret selling them at some point? For events I get paid to shoot, such as the work I've done for the BBC, the zooms seem essential, because you have to be so fast. No time to change lenses. I'd also spend money on a camera rather than investing my money in lenses, which hold their value much longer.

So, what's your take? I'm not ready to make a decision any time soon. I'd like to get your opinions though. Keep the zooms and just save up for all that new stuff? Or sell 'em, risk regretting it, and be able to get new and exciting stuff?

What I think I'll do is rent an A900 sometime soon, go out with it and the zoom lenses first, then go out to the same location with my primes, and see what shooting experience I liked most, and what led to the best results.

Thanks in advance for your input!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:02 pm 
I voted to sell your zooms, but only because Im partial to primes.

A 35mm and an 85mm could be a very nice combination on full frame if you dont need any wider.

Renting the camera first sounds like a good option too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:27 pm 

Thanks Jeremy! I'll definitely go out and rent the A900 for a couple of days soon!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:41 pm 

Hi Bjorn,

Looks like you are one or two steps further down a path I'm occasionally tempted to follow. I've not got as far as considering selling any lenses but I do find value in the discipline of only taking one (zoom) with me, forcing me to view the world with my Mark I eyeballs set to a restricted range of focal lengths. :lol:

But you'd have to be very sure you wouldn't regret the decision to sell before such time as funds permit you to restock at what will almost certainly be much higher prices...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:57 pm 

I voted for selling the lenses, if you do not use them. Especially with 2 camera bodies, a 24-70 isn't exactly neccesary. I'm actually also thinking of selling my 70-200. I hardly use it, since I got the 85 1.8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:54 pm 
I think I would sell them if I were you. Jeremy is right,a 35mm & 85mm on a full frame can be anybody's best friends,even for weddings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 pm 

Murphy's Law is very clear on these matters.
If you get rid of “all” your zoom lenses then you will need one shortly thereafter.
I would hold on to the most flexible one you have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 am 

Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Short introduction to my dilemma:

I feel my style of photography has changed. It's more close and personal. With even shallower DoF. I like zooming with my legs.

Well, if you sell you can look at it this way, you've just rented your lenses for a period of time. Has that rental period value exceeded the loss you will incur in selling the lenses, if not, hold on to your lenses.

Unless there is something mechanically or optically wrong with the lenses I'd hold on to them for when the application, moment or feeling comes back.

My gut feeling is that you will regret the loss of the lenses you sell. Simply chasing after the latest and greatest is somewhat of a chimera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:00 am 
Nothing like receiving your money back and buying what you truly want/need.
In my humble opinion, you should sell'em.
Specially if you have friends who are bearers of zoom lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:39 am 

Keep your lenses I'd recommend. Zoom lenses have their benefits, still.

Further, unless you are very good at selling and are lucky, you won't get much back from the zoom lenses.

So, keep the zooms and just save up for all that new stuff.

Apple: MacBook Air (11-in, 1.8GHz i7), Mac Pro (12-core 2.66GHz), MacBook Pro (15-in), iMac (21.5-in, Core i5), Mac mini Server (2.66GHz), iMac (24-in, C2D), PowerBook G4 (12-in, 1.33GHz), iMac G4 (1.25GHz)x2, PowerMac G4 (dual 1.44GHz).
iPhone: 5s, 5, 4S, 4, 3G
iPad: Air, Mini, 4, 3, 2, original (all models are 3G/LTE)
iPod touch: 5th gen x2, 4th gen x2 & 1st gen,
4 x AirPort Extreme, 2 x Time Capsule...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:53 am 
I know its a bit (OK a lot) more money, but the 16-35mm f2.8 could be a nice alternative to the 35mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm 

Thanks guys for all your responses.

The thing is, as Bob noted, I'm not sure I wouldn't regret selling the lenses. I mean, I don't use them much, but there's certain situations where the flexibility of a zoom is a necessity. I'm not sure how I would've coped with the BBC assignments without the zooms, even though my favorite shots of those days were taken with the 50mm.

On the other hand, if I have two bodies, a full frame with a 35mm and, for now, the A700 with a 50mm, I'd have quite some degree of flexibility, and the A900's resolution would allow for some cropping.

Also, I'm not sure whether I'd be able to sell the lenses for a satisfactory price. Got a great deal on the 70-200mm, so that should be alright, but I might lose quite some money on the Zeiss 24-70mm. And I've only used and enjoyed it so little...

There's absolutely nothing wrong, mechanically, with the lenses. They just don't seem to match my style of photography anymore. Used to adore the 70-200mm, now it sits in my backpack all the time, not in the shoulder bag I usually take out on shoots.

Jeremy: given that I'm considering giving up on primes, and that 35mm is already quite wide enough for me, I'm not considering the 16-35mm Zeiss. I hope to get the 24mm f/2 SSM once it's out, and might get a 16mm fisheye sometime, but a zoom to cover that range really isn't an option for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Though I'm still tempted to sell 'em, I'll hold on to my zooms for now. I'll have to shoot an event like a wedding with a good set of primes first before I decide to sell...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:59 pm 
I would consider keeping your 70-200. You may not use it now, but there will almost certainly be times when you will not be able to get in close to your subjects as you like to. With your short primes, you would not be able to achieve that shallow DoF separation of subject and background that most portrait photographers go for if the subject is far away..

It seems like you are giving up a lot of flexibility with your set up if you get rid of that lens. The 24-70, however, seems a little redundant in your set up if you aren't going wide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:05 pm 
Bjorn, If I were you I would keep the 70 200 & sell 24 70 only. 70 200 will be use for long distance shot, 50 & 85 lens would be your mid range. I believe that 24 70 are not really needed so better to sell it & in return get yourself a FF camera that you wish for.

Just my 2 Cents opinion..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:13 pm 
Many people regret selling things for some reason.
Just keep one good zoom lense with you for just in case and sell the rest maybe?
Anyways, arent you the guy that's super obsesed with the Zeiss lense you got some time ago??