Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:11 pm 
I have a new Sony DSC-H20 Camera, and I am having a problem I can't figure out. I have a 16 gig memory card, and 2 fully charged batteries I have tested this with. The problem is, if you start a video recording, no matter in what video format (HD, Fine, etc), the camera will shut itself off at exactly 30 minutes if you are not interacting with it.

The sony lady told me to initialize the settings, but still the same problem. I cannot find anywhere to disable this apparent battery save feature. My question is, does anyone know how to stop it from doing this? I thought about ordering the AV cable that has the AC adapter pigtail, but I am worried it will still shut off after 30 mins even on AC. Can anyone confirm if this would happen on AC?

I spent a lot of money on a 16 gig memory card, and I expect to be able to record videos longer than 30 minutes!!!!!!

Please help!

Thanks,
Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:59 pm 

Hello Andrew, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
With respect to your problem, this is a built-in limit for continuous shooting (one single take). It's written in the manual in the chapter "maximum recording time".
But naturally you can record until you reach the limit of your mem-card in multiple takes.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:19 pm 
I totally missed that in the manual, but see it now. I will just have to make due :-) I collect front load washing machines and wanted to be able to record full cycles so i can upload them to YouTube, but I'll just have to pay attention to the record time and restart the camera after 30 mins.

Thanks for the help!
Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 pm 
I wondered the same thing, after buying my h20. I thought when i bought the camera and purchased a 16gb card...it would let you take one long continuous movie. I am soooooo disappointed that i now have to break them up into several 30 minute videos. I love CameraLabs.com....you guys are truly the best.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:43 pm 

Welcome Andrew and welcome Nick to the Camera Labs forum!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux