Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:47 am 
You are right Mihangel. If the battery is completely drained, it will take a few hours plus boost hour to get full charge. If the battery is being charged half empty, it will take an hour or so for a complete charge.. the time will vary a little depending on temperature and surroundings as well

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:22 am 
Video:

Sony HX5v:
- The sony had much refined look to its daytime video clips. Had a nice soft, detail oriented look with no artifacs vs. the panasonic recording in AVCHD.
- Problem was at night, sony dropped way below par and the image assumed a dark muted look. Street lights were fuzzy (along with headlights of cars) but definitely no light streaks like the Pansonic TZ10.

- Sony will also record alternatively in .mp4 mode which does a nice job as well. You'd have to check out the sample footage of the sony from AVCHD vs. the .MP4 modes. I recorded stuff from different locations, so that didn't help. But it looks like the AVCHD day was the more crispy of the two. For the Sony I'd leave the AVCHD mode on unless you find out otherwise.

- Sony's playback feature was pretty cool too. You can plug the camera into your standard HDMI cable then the cable to your LCD TV.

- Playback of the internal files was more entertaining than usualy due to the HX5v's playback options which will "playall" with music background. Strangely, though each clip was limited to 10 seconds playback, and then the next clip would start. Okay, I saw the logic in this after watching several 10's of clips, especially if your going to edit out the bad stuff, and keep the core portions of the video. Sony will also playback each clip with a nice fade in between each clip.
- The music, however actually replaces the video audio as it seems.
- The Playall will also integrate the photos in the order they were taken.
- I had some playback trouble, but I think it was because the GPS automatically reset the "wrong time" I had in the camera midway through the night, so when it went to "playback all" it would jump around out of order form photo to video. Or this could have been some kind of a firmware glitch, but it did happen.

- The HDMI adapter plugs into the bottom of the camera, so you have to lay the camera down flat on the table or next to the TV whenplaying it back. This seemed odd.
- I discovered that the adapter has a pressure release switch, so use it its right by your thumb when you go to remove it, or you'll rip out our jack - ha ha. Like I almost did - you know, like those new-ish esata cables with that spring latch system which grabs inside the jack somewhere for support, and to keep the cable from just sliding out.

Playback and recording when connected to a TV:

Problem - Both the Panasonic TZ10 and Sony HX5v will not simultaneously show you what you are recording as you record. I believe the sony will at least allow you to see what is in front of the camera - but when you press the record button, your TV goes to the blue screen until your done recording.

- I found this bizare, because you can't use the camera and TV in combination together, perhaps, so as to use the TV as a recording monitor - at least when the HDMI connection is connected. This may not be the case using the composite cable interface. Somebody confirm this please.

- In any case, this was odd, and combersome and made the living room fun balloon loose all its air. On minute you see yourself on the tv, and then when the recording starts - bam, no more playback and the room gets quite until the recording is done.

More to follow.

Photos - Okay, the panasonic has superior photo quality in both day and night shooting. Daytime, the photos are crisp and sharp, the sony has a slight blander look and feel to the photos. Especially, and especially at night.

This makes it tough choice between the two. Where sony wins in daytime AVCHD video (with doable photos), but in night looses all steam. Where the Panasonic TZ10 - has doable video (and if you hit a sharply bright reflection or sun shine shot, you'll get a eyefull of lens light streaks from top to botton (I'll post the video's showing this incredible Ooops on panasonic's part). However, the TZ10 has superior photo quality, very nice all around, in day and night so if your looking to find peace in your photos more so than video, then the TZ10 will do just fine.

But if your looking for both pristeen video and photo, you'll have to remove the daytime AVCHD 1920/1440x1080 resultion features of the Sony HX5v, and take the low light, photo capable TZ10 video drivers (forget the AVCHD of the panasonic - something is wrong there).

Then take the photographic abilities of the Pansonic as well, incorporate those into a nother camera, and your set for about 6 months until they become dated and need to be replaced with the latest thing.

Zoom Lever Action.

One thing the Sony HX5v didn't have that the Panasonic does, is a variable speed zoom lever. I noticed this very much when trying to do simultaneous zoom out or zoom in's with the two cameras side by side. The Panasonic had anice, variable zoom lever and engine vs. the abrupt lever action of the Sony HX5v. This may not seem like a problem, but when your zoomed all the way in, that "jolt" on the non-variable speed lever of the Sony is evident.

That is why in some of the zoom out/ins in my sample videos the Sony zooms faster because it seems to have an on/off trigger action.

More on the Sony HX5v zoom.

Either I couldn't find, or it doesn't have any digital zoom (strange when their videocameras sport the xxx digital zoom abilities). Here is where the extra push of the TZ10 is clearly evident. You can get in closer and stretch for that exact frame around the subject you want with the extra zoom from 12-16 on the TZ10.

The extra 2 zoom positions the TZ10 has over the sony is completely insignficant. It wasn't even worth recording the two degrees of extra zoom difference. once you get to 10x on the TZ10, the little 11, then 12x optical zoom didn't really do munch. Just think of any camera that has only 2.5x or3x zoom. Its the same feel of useless zoomability. What is the kicker is the 12-16x digital zoom on the TZ10. Gets you a significant degree closer, yet with some artifacs due to it being digital zoom vs. optical. For instance if you are trying to zoom into a license plate of a car that is illegally parked down in your parking lot. The digital zoom will push that extra distance - and if in photo mode, you'll get a decent image.

Not sure how the off center tripod hole on the HX5v impacts the mounting of the camera onto a tripod. It does cause the camera to hang over the right side of what ever it is attached to. That bit of bottom not mounting on the tripod mounting plate causes the camera to not be as secure on the tripod as it could be. A little hit to the camera causes it to slide a bit.

The TZ10 has a center mounted tripod hole, and sat firmly on the tripod mounting plate area.

Miscell:
I will also add, you can't change the battery on the Sony HX5v when its playing back using the HDMI cable/adapter. You have to disconnect the cable to open the batter and SD card hatch area. I found that when the battery died during playing back onto the TV, the show had to stop (blue screen and all) when it came time to change the battery/SD card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:20 am 

Very detailed and thoughtful comparison.
Looking forward to see the sample video and pics and kind of go from there.
Let us know the links once you have them up.

May even get the ZS7 and compare myself and then return one or the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:21 am 
Wow MikesMultiMedia.. great comparison and eye-opening review! Thanks for taking the time to get into such crucial comparative details.

I agree about Hx5V zooming deficiencies. I had the same trouble controlling the zooming in effect, the zooming in while videoing was too jolting for my audience when shown on TV. They thought I was trying to be funny to fake 3D zooming effect with far objects hurling towards them with great speed. Some complained of experiencing a bit of motion sickness.. embarrassing for me

I have two issues which I appreciate some advice on from the forum

Issue No. 1: Date settings lost!

Date settings of my Hx5v was being reset for no reason after using the camera for 3 days. I did all the initial set-up settings, month format, year, time date, time zone etc hit OK, everything was fine until three days later, when I switched on the camera and lo and behold, it loses all the date settings, asking me to key in all the settings again as if the camera had just being unboxed for the first time. I was puzzled as I did not remove the fully charged battery during those 3 days. Have anyone experience that? While not wanting to take the chance with a 3 day old camera, I have the unit exchanged with my retailer.. and hope it will not happen again

Issue No. 2: PMB software problem

After uploading the AVCHD clips and jpgs to my PC using the given Sony PMB software, I could not view the AVCHD clips, only the jpg can be viewed. However, if I convert the AVCHD video into wmv format, the clip can then be viewed by the PMB. I am using Win XP Professional Service pack 3. What do you think happened? Am I missing the Image API plug-in for windows that I need to install? thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your time

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:04 pm 
@Ric01:
Just a quick solution to your video playback issues.

Goto http://www.videolan.org/ and download the latest Videolan player.

I use it for all video types which it supports. No nagging Windows Media Player online web stuff, just a simple, but powerful player.

You can set it to check for an update for itself automatically, or to simply check it yourself. The organization ".org" does periodic updates, which I suppose manages to keep up with new video formats as they come around.

You'll love the discovery of this simple, and powerful player.

I remember when we had to buy the DVD player codec from ??? in the past, now, its all free. They do want to sell their cameras, don't they?

On a side note, I think the push of the compact consumer level cameras to record hd video has probably increased the demand for newer and more powerful laptops.

Because since now people are wanting to 1) playback these large format videos on their computers; and 2) the desire to want to edit, and make final clean videos - requires a more powerful system, hence, "We need to buy a new computer!!" thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:22 pm 
@Ric01:
I did notice a strange thing happen when I was trying to access my photos/video while recording the other night.

The playback feature on the camera seemed to get "confused" and wouldn't playback some of my latest photos. It seemed to get stuck on a photo I too about an hour ealier.

I'd take the picture again, and still the only photo it showed me was a photo I too an hour ago? As if the memory card was full or something.

But, it had a "I'm lost and manage my data files on the memory card." feel to it.

As we find out, the AVCHD and photo files are stored in a creative folder array on the card, perhaps this separation has caused the camera/firmware to get lost.

How could it get lost? Well, I'm not sure but that night I noticed the two times on the cameras were off by 45 minutes or so.

When I went into the camera menus, I noticed a feature to "auto updated" the date/time with the GPS feature. So that is one area which may cause the camera to get creative with its date and time.

I also noticed that if I abruptly updated the date and time to the camera, the playback of the photos/video appeared to get eradict.

Again, 1) the files on the card are spread out over different directories, and 2) if the date is changed, then that confuses the camera some more during the retrieval of the files for you to see in the camera LCD.

Its no longer just pulling the files in series one after the other from the same directory. Its now having to sprawl across different directories and then perhaps display them based on date/time.

You problem sounds different because it seems to just loose the date/time completely.

Now, lets not rule out a defective camera. I remember once I kept trying to use the same firewire cable when connecting a video camera to transfer some video files from the tape. I couldn't get the camera to be recognized, or it was sporadic. The solution was to dig up another cable and replace it. So yes, electronic equipment just fails sometimes.

Check out if the auto gps date/time update feature is somehow over riding the settings.

Try to get a firmware update. I think I already searched for the Sony HX5v website, because it is brand spanking new, the software firmware update page is "blankish" and its funny, because I always to firmware update pages and to see no updates is quite unusual but refreshing at the same time. Meaning, I didn't have to then do the update..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:27 pm 
As we now see, all of the photos/video files are now being stored in various ways, depending on your video settings, etc.

As a user, this spread out directory naming system has forced me to figure out another way of storing the files in a meaningful way on my hard drives.

Do I create on directory with two little sudirectories called photos/video and store the files accordingly? Like:

Birthday party:
photos
video

Problem is that if you took a picture just before your kid blew out the candles, and then started videoing as the candles are blown out, and then at the end got a big group shot of everyone around the cake. Now, if you store all photos and video in their separate directories, when you go back to edit a smooth final video of the entire event, your having to hunt and peck through the directories for the right material?

On the panasonic, when set to non AVCHD mode, the files are nicely stored in one directory on the card. The little thumbnail is still a JPG file, not that THM extention which is confusing, and causes me to reclassify the default open program that I want to then view the file.

But, again, just raising the issue, and noticing the interesting file storage arrays the cameras are now using.

To be honest with you, I've gone into the AVCHD stream directory, copied the files out and deleted the rest of the files. I then take the photos from the photos directory, and have put the images in two separate directories under a primary directory as indicated above birthday example.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:40 pm 
@mamuco:

I'm still trying to figure out how to edit the material.

I'll have to converge all the photos/clips into one video per camera.

I'lll then have to create exact duplicate edit points with each of the photo/video transitions from each camera so they can be played back simultaneously.

And I'm also concerned about my rendering of the final clips, it may or may not alter the raw characteristics of the clips..

I suppose I could just drag each raw clip up into youtube/vimeo, but does vimeo just store the clip and play it back in its raw format? If Vimeo is recompiling, then I'll edit the raw clips so the playback is smoother where I will cut out all the non-intersting points, highlighting the areas which at least demonstrate the light streak comparison between the Sony HX5v and the Pana TZ10.

I'm actually thinking about taking back the Sony (and the Panasonic) and just sit on my hands until the Panasonic comes out with a TZ11, which addresses the light streaks, and upgrades the HD resolution to 1440x1080 at least.

That also is the other issues, the Sony HX5v AVCHD video, during the day mind you, is very impressive, and totally superior to the TZ10, but that may be because it is recording much more video resolution so its not a fair comparison.

That is also the problem in the video clip comparison, at that point, the viewer should realize their looking at a 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 clip vs. the max resultion 1280x720 of the TZ10. Got, Panasonic dropped the major ball there.

So, again I may return the Sony, since I'm still in the return period, not solely because the sony has failed completely, but more so to wait for the TZ11 by Pansonic for their fix and higher resolution HD.

Again, the Sony HX5v's photo quality does not match the Panasonic TZ10's photo quality at all in both night and day situations. Again, the TZ10 is shooting at 12mpx, where the HX5v is photoing at 10mpx. But pixel depth was not the quality issue in my determination between the two photos, it was the overall photo impact each photo had once you saw it.

I'd go as far to say the photo quality difference is reversed where the TZ10's photo superiority was as equal to the sony HX5v's video superiority over each of the cameras as compared to themselves.

Does that sentence make sense?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:23 am 
It took a while, but I've finished editing Part 1 of the side by side video comparison video and am about 1/2 way through of the vidoe rendering process.

I'm using Video Vegas (both v9 and v8 ).

For most of the morning, Vegas 9 couldn't handle rendering the two AVCHD formats (with two resolutions remember - TZ10 - 1280x720, HX5v - 1440x1080).

Also, the TZ10's AVCHD had artifacs in its original clips, which could have also caused Vegas 9 to freeze during rendering.

I was reluctant to use Vegas 8 (32bit version) because Vegas 8/9 are incompatible with each other, so the entire video project of vegas 9 would need to be re-edited from scratch in Vegas 8. Big issue.

I've had to revert to Vegas 8 on occassion when a particular render may not work with Vegas 9, and luckily, this appeared to be the case with Vegas 9.

The Sony AVC codec didn't work in both versions, they froze up during the rendering, particularly when two clips where to be transitioned into each other.

So what was left (to stay with the reasonable sized MP4 file size, was MainConcept codec in my render options in VEgas 8.)

So, that worked, funny thing is the "flickering and artifacs" from the original clip appeared to be "resolved" using the older version of vegas.

At the end of the day, what will probably be most starking in the two clips is the light streaking with can no way be resolved by the editing process.

Panasonic's TZ10's totally has the light streaks, and I've written an email to their help desk asking for an explantion, without any response so far.

I'm curious if a fix could be made using a firmware update?

IN any case, the Sony HX5v had superior video quality - but remember, its source video is already at a higher resolution of 1440x1080, where the TZ10 is 1280x720.

I elected to render the dual video comparison video in 1440x1080, which may effect the true impression of the TZ10's video ability (except for the light streaking).

After posting the side by side video clips, I'll then re-render each of the two clips separately, in their native sizes and those then could be viewed side by side in two separate video player windows - if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:55 am 
Sony HX5v vs Panasonic TZ10 Side by Side Video Test
Centennial Park, Atlanta, Georgia Part 1

This is Part 1 of a multipart side by side video series I'm preparing for these two cameras. Other scenes will be at night, and using the alternate recording formats.

The most drastic differences is between the day with bright light reflections and night with bright lights hitting the two cameras, and the reaction of the lenses to these conditions.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9AWGAL33E

Last edited by MikesMultiMedia on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:50 am 
Thanks MikesMultiMedia. Very great effort on your part to render both hi-def clips for a great comparison.

I need some advice. As I wish to use both/combined my old mini DV camcorder clips 720p and Hx5v AVCHD 1440 clips and render them in my Vegas Ver 7, would it be advisable if first I bump down the Hx5v clip to DV standard using Pinnacle Studio 12 and then import the DV file into Vegas 7 to transition to the native DV clips taken by my old mini DV camcorder.

3 reasons: (1) Vegas 7 cannot import AVCHD and (2) I wish to combined video taken by Hx5V with the 720p clips taken by previous DV tapes (3) none of my family member can play HI-Def video yet.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:51 am 
Okay, you got "720p" is that right? Do you mean 480p (720x480)? 720p is what I call 1280x720p 1440x1080 (in its various flavors) is 1080p HDV HD Full HD etc, just confirm for accuracy purposes.

That's a shame about Vegas 7, but I've grown from Vegas 5-9, and as you can see I've had to bounce down to 8.00 (not 8.01 which is v8, but in x64 bit) on some occassions, which sucks because v9x veg files can't be imported into v8 - ???

Do you have to use Pinnacle? I tried that program years ago, and hated it because it forces you to work entirely under one media roof during the project development phase.

So your end platform is to be 720x480 (dvd) format.

Some of your footage is already in 720x480 - thats good.

And some of your footage is in 1440x1080.

Well, your going to have to structure the 1440x1080 to conform to the 720x480 distribution platform for that project.

How you do it is up to you, cuz only you know what tools you have.

What is your DVD Authoring software going to be?

Doesn't sound like your going to be able to work in 1440x1080 right, unless you find a way to import the AVCHD into Vegas.

I'd say its time to upgrade to v800 if you still can, v900 seemed to have problems with Panasonic's AVCHD codec, or Sony's AVCHD codec, forcing me to fireup v800, and using its less robust, but effective MainConcept AVC/MP4 codec.

I've found that I can work with the AVC/MP4 codec when rendering my final clips why?

Because the final builds are fulling importable/playable to all the other platforms (youtube, vimeo, DVD Architect, and my favorite XBOX 360.) So one build, serves the entire buffet of delivery platforms for me.

That way I am not re-rendering a project for multiple platforms, I'm simply working with the most reasonable highest resolution I'm willing to wait for (rendering times), and then downsizing it from there. I have no need for 1920x1080 right now. If a project demands it, I'll invest at that time for the more powerful systems to facilitate that project.

After rendering my MP4, I'll also use other converters (drag and drop) to convert the file (downstream) to FLV perhaps to use for other platforms such as web page embeds (if I'm hosting it) but most of the time its for youtube or vimeo due to bandwidth considerations.

So, my ramblings above perhaps should lead you to try to build the 1440x1080 builds, if you need that much, and are willing to wait for the rendering times. Then, you have your builds in a builds directory, where you then drag those into your DVD Authoring software.

The DVD Authoring software could then be your method to downconvert based on your DVD Authoring project/burn settings.

You may find that mixing the two formats (480p and 1080p) may be too much of a quality contrast as watched on the TV.

I've got two cameras, one HDV, another SD, and the two qualities typically will be very different in the editing room, to include things like white balance, and the like.

Does that mean you might as well just render the older footage by itself as 480p, and then just create a separate video using the 1080p source.

In any case, you'll still need to start working with the AVCHD format, now that you go the camera, if you don't figure this out now, or upgrade, you'll be dealing with this in your next project, and then next, etc.

You'll have to decide what the final output looks like to you, is it tolerable, or is it better to just keep the material separate. Unless you tried to use the two different cameras in a recent project, then you are pushing it because your forcing yourself to work with competing quality source material which isn't easy.

In the video side-by-side project, I elected to render to the 1440x1080 (Sony native format) and pushed the 1280x720p panasonic source up.

I will eventually render each of the two videos individually, and at that point the panasonic is on its own at 1280x720p, sony will maintain its 1440x1080p.

The Sony, by the way, didn't have the fidelity in the audio as the Panasonic did. Nice rich sounding audio on the Panasonic TZ10, where the sony HX5v was tinny, like listening through a coke can with its ends cut off.

As I mentioned in another posting, with this push by the compact camera industry to move to HD and even FULL HD, it forces the end user to now upgrade their:

1) Computers and (as in this case for you)
2) Editing software

Its a conspiracy. Ha ha.

Did you know that AVCHD was developed by Panasonic and Sony jointly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:56 pm 
Thanks MikesMultiMedia for your thoughts. I agree that I need to do the various video software upgrades to take full advantage of Sony Hx5V.

You are right, my end platform is to be 720x480 (dvd) format. Before I had the chance to upgrade the various software and hardware, I am thinking of the following:-

Some of my AVCHD footage from the Sony Hx5V camera is in 1440x1080 (Clip A)

Some of my old footage from mini DV tape camera is already in 720x480 (Clip B)

Yes, that's correct, I have to structure Clip A Hx5V AVCHD 1440x1080 to conform to the 720x480 distribution platform - that's when I plan to use Pinnacle since I already owned it (not for editing) just purely to import AVCHD 1440x1080 and structure it to output to DV format 720x480. (Clip A2).

With the Pinnacle output as DV file for A2, then I will import Clip A2 and Clip B (both clips are now 720x480) into Vegas 7 and do the editing, rendering there. My DVD authoring software is Sony DVD Architect 4.0

You brought up an interesting point about using Hx5V to take MP4 videos instead of AVCHD for the sake of rendering convenience

From your video rendering experience, how do you find the Hx5V MP4 video quality....are they respectable after rendering them to 720x480 (DVD) format. If so, you have solved my problem... I will use my Hx5V to take MP4 video instead of AVCHD 1440

Thanks
Ric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:15 am 
Sony HX5v vs Panasonic TZ10 Side by Side Video Comparison
Part 2: Around Centennial Park, Atlanta, Georgia

This is Part 2 of a multipart side by side video series
I'm working on to compare these two camera's video performance.

I've recorded both in the AVCHD and the alternate formats MOV/MP4.

Of particular mention is the light streaking
of the Panasonic TZ10 which occurs both in the day, and nightime footage.

When the camera encounters a bright light, reflection, or sunset,
the lens effect causes a complete white or blue light streak (day/night respectively), across the source video vertically.

It totally destroys the video's quality, and distracts the viewer, and
upsets the viewing enjoyment.

The streak covers the entire frame, and cuts across anything else
in the frame regardless if its behind or in front of the light.

Here is a frame capture showing the light streak at 6m12 seconds:

The HD (1440x1080P) video is now available on youtube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCCw0al3G6Q
It may take some time for the high resolution version to be available.

See Light streaks at:

1) 1:00 - Cars passing by, reflections off bumpers, chrome, etc.
2) 3:30 - Pan left to right by park gate, sunset
3) 4:17 - Zoom out from inside park, sunset
4) 4:33 - By the Centennial Park sign, sunset
5) 5.28 - Walking shot along sidewalk, sunset
6) 6:45 - Walking shot along sidewalk, reflection off distant building
7) 7:09 - Pan, Let to Right across roadway, reflection off distant building
8) 7:28 - Repeat of No 7 above, different view
9) 7:40 - Walking shot along sidewalk, reflection off distant building
0) 7:57 - Another Walking shot, different angle, reflection off distant building

Last edited by MikesMultiMedia on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am 
@Ric01:

Glad my ramblings helped. I figure I would just brainstorm a bit about some of the stuff I find myself having to do to work through a project.

I mean we all don't have access to the super computers at Industrial Ligt and Magic (ILM) ha ha.

Perhaps one day I'll try to get a tour of their video/graphics development department.

I took a quick look at the MP4 footage, and it appears, at first glance, to look about the same. I've been looking at he AVCHD footage for a few days straight now editing the Side by Side videos, and so by just clicking on it a minute ago, I didn't see anything that stood out.

I think that will just work then for you.

Yea, one think you have to think about during the entire production is what is my delivery platform going to be. If you just doing home video stuff, and playing around, maybe the lower resolution will do.

If your trying to use your camera as a back up to a significant event, birthday, etc., then go for the upper formats.

I like the work around your going to use vs. the AVCHD.

Does Vegas 7 import the HX5v's MP4 format?

Sometimes I use converters from aone-media.com. (Don't know if Gordon will allow me to mention their name here...)

They allow batch processing (drag and drop, and multiple file format input/output) If they allow it, you could just drag and drop your AVCHD's into it, select the output format, and set it to maximum resolution/quality and go from there.

Remember, you may have to install the free version of Apple Quicktime first. After installing it, the drivers and codec's installed are accessible by Vegas as well. To put it another way, I can't import the MOV video files into Vegas 9 all the way to Vegas 8, if I haven't installed Apple Quicktime. You can just install the free player version, don't need the pro, remember its the "playability" that the drivers/codec's provide to Vegas.

In fact, I'm curious if that may be a possible solution for your Vegas 7 as well. See if a third party AVCHD codec or player is around, try loading it, and perhaps Vegas 7 will then kick in to edit them.

Do some research, and plenty of trial and error. If you have the time, loading the codec's first, and the re-installing Vegas 7 (after the fact) may also be an extreme way to perfect your software tool sets for production.

As far as the MP4 format is concerned, just to through the ball back in your court, why don't you take some test footage between the Sony AVCHD and MP4 formats, and upload the two clips to youtube somewhere, and let us all check it out.

My hands are full right now working through my multi part series.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next