Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:46 pm 

As requested by Gordon Laing, here's an official thread for Sony's announcement today of their latest products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony announced a wide range of products today at PMA, which are currently in prototype form. They will, however, be available soon!

I'll start off with the a long-awaited A700 replacement. This brand-new design includes 1080 (30p) AVCHD video and Exmor R technology (under a different name for marketing purposes). The new body now also features a top-LCD for low-light shooting or when photographic in bright sunlight.

Professionals and enthusiast like myself will be delighted to see a Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm f/2 SSM announced, which is a great addition to Sony's Zeiss lenses and perfectly complements Sony's current large-aperutre prime lenses. A 500mm f/4 G SSM has been presented too, which will undoubtedly excite all wildlife and sports photographers among you.

Also, Sony announced a line of mirrorless camera designs meant to compete with Olympus' Pen system and the Panasonic GH1 (and other similar cameras). However, Sony's interpretation features an APS-C sensor with Exmor R technology (again, different name). The camera's are currently shown in red, blue and silver, though final production models might just include other colors as well (hoping there'll be a black one). Based on good information, names of the models announced will be the NEX3 and NEX5, with an NEX7 being announced later this year. All these cameras support Sony's new E-mount, which is their compact lens line-up.

Along with the mirrorless bodies, three lenses have been announced, of which specifications are currently unknown. A 16mm f/2.8 (pancake-model, non-fisheye) and 18-55mm are likely options, I cannot confirm any specs, especially not of the telephoto zoom that will accompany the other lenses.

Lastly, Sony also announced two compact cameras, the DSC-TX5 and DSC-H55, new high definition camcorders and photo-finishing solutions (left out in the press release below, click the link for the full article).

Here is Sony's official press release:
http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/ ... 56463.html

SONY HIGHLIGHTS ALPHA CONCEPT MODELS AND OTHER NEW DIGITAL IMAGING PRODUCTS AT PMA 2010

Sony is exhibiting an array of innovative digital imaging products at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) 2010 International Convention, including a concept model of the new compact α (alpha) DSLR camera system that employs an Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor, which provides full AVCHD video capability.

ANAHEIM, CALIF. (PMA #2220), Feb. 21, 2010 – Sony is exhibiting an array of innovative digital imaging products at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) 2010 International Convention, including a concept model of the new compact α (alpha) DSLR camera system that employs an Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor, which provides full AVCHD video capability.

New concept α products being shown include an ultra compact model with interchangeable lenses, additions to the α family (including a successor to the α700), along with new TX5 and H55 Cyber-shot® cameras, new printers and other accessories.

Alpha DSLR Camera

In addition to the current DSLR-A230, A330, A380, A500, A550, A850 and A900 digital SLR cameras, the following concept camera bodies and interchangeable lenses will be exhibited. Current interchange lenses, including Carl Zeiss® and G lens products will also be on display.

Concept model of an ultra-compact interchangeable lens digital camera system that packs the quality of a DSLR camera in an extraordinarily small body, along with interchangeable lenses
Mid-range concept camera for advanced users (a successor to the α700) as well as concept mainstream models
Prototype of a Super Telephoto Lens (500mm F4 G) with class-leading optical performance
Prototype of a Distagon T 24mm F2 ZA SSM, new Carl Zeiss wide angle lens for superior shots of landscapes and sweeping vistas

Cyber-shot Digital Still Cameras

In addition to its α line of DSLR cameras, Sony will also showcase its new Cyber-shot digital still cameras. These models include the recently announced TX5 certified waterproof camera and H55 high-zoom, compact camera.

The DIMA award-winning TX5, which can be used in depths up to 10 feet for up to one hour, is the world’s thinnest and smallest waterproof digital still camera with Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization and touch-screen operation. Additionally, the 10.2 megapixel model is Sony’s first digital still camera with an “Exmor R” CMOS sensor that is also certified to be freeze-proof down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, shockproof (up to about a 5-foot drop) and dust proof. The TX5 also offers outstanding low-light performance, high speed, Intelligent Sweep Panorama, 720p high definition video recording and in-camera Backlight Correction High Dynamic Range features.

The 14.1 MP H55 camera’s 10x optical zoom Sony G lens with 25mm (equivalent) wide angle is designed for shots from greater distances and of wider landscapes. Featuring 720p HD movie recording, the H55 model also offers Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization to help reduce blur in photos without compromising image quality. It also adds Optical SteadyShot™ with Active Mode, which lets you shoot smoother movie footage even if you are walking while shooting.

[...]

Handycam High-Definition Camcorders

As the leader in the high-definition camcorder category, Sony offers superior technology in its HD models, even at entry level. Now all 2010 HD Handycam models will feature the “Exmor R” CMOS sensor with a new algorithm to realize 2x faster "Quick AF,” Face Priority to prioritize a specified face for focus, color, exposure and Smile Shutter™ technology, and Highlight Playback for quick video slideshow generation. The new HD Handycam camcorder lineup will also offer iAuto, 60p output, and a new user interface, in addition to capturing content in full1920 x 1080 high-definition video recording at up to 24Mbps, the highest bit-rate offered by the AVCHD format.

The portfolio includes the top-of-the-line HDR-XR550V unit featuring a 240GB hard disk drive that holds up to 101 hours of HD video (LP mode) and a Wide Angle G-lens that captures approximately 2x larger shooting area than previous models. Sony improves Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization with Active Mode by expanding the 3-Way Shake Canceling feature across the full zoom range - from wide to telephoto end, and adds a new feature called Golf Shot to the high end camcorders. This function renders two seconds of motion (golf swing) into a sequence of up to 22 still images. In addition, the camcorder can take 12-megapixel still photos and has advanced features including an assignable dial for manual control (Iris/Shutter/Exposure/WB//Focus/AE shift).

Also on display is the new HDR-CX150 Flash Memory Handycam camcorder offered in black and red. For around $550, this model can capture 3.1-megapixel still photos and includes 16GB of embedded memory, a Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® 25X optical zoom lens, and SteadyShot® image stabilization with Active Mode — all in a compact design.

In addition to the hard disk drive or built-in flash memory, all of Sony’s new camcorders can record video and still images directly to Memory Stick PRO Duo™ media, Secure Digital (SD), or SDHC media card (all sold separately).

Lastly, here's some of the pictures I saw before the press release. I also got the ones shown earlier before the PMA announcement.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 pm 

Hi Bjorn,

Has Sony shared what lenses will ship with the new "ultra-compact interchangeable lens digital camera system"? (They are going to have to find a better name. :roll:) That photo would seem to indicate a compact lens (wide-ish angle) and a couple of longer lenses but I'm going to take those three mock-ups with a great deal of caution.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:38 pm 

A video mode, NOOOOOOOOO...... :D
The top lcd is a great addition, but the camera resembles some of the older canon DSLR's. I hope it will be a stellar performer, and that the price is not too high for this new A7xx model.

The CZ 24/2 looks fantastic, but i'm afraid of the price. In size and price and probably quality it will be difficult too beat the Voigtlander 25/4 that came in the mail yesterday. (yes, I'm currently shooting film with a Zeiss Ikon ZM rangefinder. So much more fun then digital)

The NEX series looks great. But I'm hoping for a hotshoe and some sort of viewfinder (electronic or optical). And I hope Sony is smart enough to make adapters for Leica-M lenses possible :)

ps. I really like the blue NEX :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:49 pm 
I am sorry that the NEX compacts were only mock-ups. Who knows if they'll end up even resembling what they have in mind.

If the production models do end up resembling the mock-ups, I like the way they're putting the camera strap on the end of the camera, in a lanyard-type of position. That implies they are really trying to make these light and compact. It also gives some suggestion about how they'll market them -- fun and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:06 pm 

I thought Exmor R was a compact sensor technology. Bigger sensors are just plain Exmor.

24mm f/2.0 does sound interesting, Canikon don't have one as far as I'm aware.

On the compact camera lenses, you can make a kinda guess from the lens size assuming they're representative. Harder to guess on the wide angles as the front element in those cases are not equivalent to the entrance pupil. The telephoto could be in region of 250-300 on long end.

I wonder what5 that rectangular shape on the top of the body is. Pop up flash? But is there room to store it under the sensor mount. And it would have a high risk of lens shadow there.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Many thanks for that Bjorn!

Like many here I was hoping for actual product announcements as oppose to prototype previews, but given their previous record, many of Sony's final DSLRs have ended up looking exactly like the prototypes...

We'll hold back on a front page preview article until final products are launched, but we'll link to this thread for comments and updated news as and when it happens.

Gordon

PS - popo, Canon and Nikon both offer high end 24mm lenses, and - ahem - they're both f1.4 designs! So does the Sony community feel cheated out of a stop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:37 pm 

Doh! I misread it - even if I typed the right value above! For some silly reason I was thinking 20mm f/2. I have a tendency to mix up the aperture (x10) with wide angles... particularly as Zeiss seem to put the aperture before the focal length.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:58 pm 
Some actual photos behind glass. Not very good photos, as it seems Sony was probably trying to protect what angles people could photo.

The A7xx seems to have a lot less buttons, and I hope they don't carry over that trend into the higher end (I love my buttonny A850).

P.S. Read the CNET post, it is very funny. I personally like CNET, but the camera editor there is clueless and complains about the silliest of things, like stating that the A900 shutter sounds "slow"? She should stick to compact cameras and link back to cameralabs for everything else.

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/02/21/pma-2010-sony-shows-off-dslrs-with-aps-c-sensor-avchd-movie-recording/

http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10002549.html?s=0&o=10002549&tag=mncol;page

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4273

Edit: found a video in Japanese (or something), also not very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBydbXQnxH4

@Gordon: Not really, once the price reflects the loss of 1 stop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:35 am 
http://www.youtube.com/user/gizmomomo#p ... ucYq-uRA9w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi primitive, lets hope the price of the 24mm f2.0 is cheaper than the Canon and Nikon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:35 am 
Ew, Primitive -- I like it even less now that I can see its back. Very 1970s design. I'm not over the 1960s look yet (which I love!), so I am not ready for the 1970s.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/ ... 40x453.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 am 
I hope it (24mm f/2)would be cheaper than 24mm f/1.4 from canikon. But why it is f/2 and not f/1.4, although they can make it f/1.4. One of the reasons behind this could be it is CZ who does not want to compromise the quality bellow f/2. Anyway, I believe there will be a decrease in IQ in some respect if we go from f/2 to f/1.4 which top performer like CZ does not want in its lens. Otherwise I dont find any reasons for keeping it f/2. Any ideas???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:49 am 
The 'Successor of A700' Looks like a Canon 7D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 am 
DPR crew claims they saw these exact same mockups last year but were bound by NDA not to disclose them. That means these are several months old mockup models; the actual product maybe more developed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 am 
Much better photos.

Might be just me, but I hope the minimalist design works since Sony's original approach of having a button on ever surface worked really well for the A850.

http://www.alphamountworld.com/photography-news/pma-2010-alphamountworld-show-coverage-a?page=0%2C1