Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:40 pm 

Thanks Vic! I really your pictures too! The girl in the first series must have been cold... :)

I've now posted most of the shots taken with the A850 that are worth sharing, but have a lot of A700 shots to process still. Expect to see more tomorrow!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:18 pm 

Looks like fun, and also gives me a little glimpse into "what if I stuck with Sony"... that Zeiss glass is hard to resist :D

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:13 pm 

Haha, yeah, autofocus Zeiss lenses, they're just superb. You'll get MF models for other brands, but only for Sony there's AF designs. That, along with the in-camera stabilization and what promises to be great video capabilities is what's keeping me with Sony. No amount of high ISO noise can beat that...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:21 pm 
hej Bjorn!

Very nice report! Was fun reading it and very recognisable images, happens when U are in the same place. As I had the opportunity testing 2 lenses I am @ the moment overthinking purchasing the 50 mm f1.4 and as walk around CZ 16-80 mm I was happy being @ SADD!

I can only say, I now understand much better what lens quality can do to your photo results in terms of contrast and sharpness. I was only a bit dissapointed that for indoor use the CZ 16-80 would have been even more interesting with a one stop larger aperture, (OK I know 16-50 f2.8 is there as well but very expensive) but on the other hand combining it with ISO800 it still gives OK results, only when zooming in 1:1 in LR 2 you see some noise (example here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nldazuu/4382044203/) But when knowing the A500 is even better dealing with noise thanks to the newly developed 12.3 MP Exmor CMOS sensor and Bionz processing engine I think it will be the next step in terms of purchasing a quality lens. The 50 mm was great, fantastic playing with DOF, but felt for my use with overview shots I missed the wider angle! I think for playing around, it is a treu desirable toy to must have, but since I am more in landscape outdoor images the CZ 16-80 is the ideal one for me. But for sure it will come or save my money for a CZ 35 mm. as you where testing!

I felt indeed like a photog and still I think it was quite ok, didn't had the feeling we where bothering people, I had fun seeing all people testing and was fun and making me proud to see so much Alpha´s in one spot.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm 

Hi Dave! Welcome to the Camera Labs forum and to te Sony community here! Great to have you join us!

I basically use my 50mm as a walkaround lens, but for many photogs, the 16-80mm Zeiss will be much moch practical. I used to have one, and I've always been satisfied with it, apart from the build, which wasn't nearly as good as the 70-200mm I got as my second lens. I'd still recommend it though, it's great piece of glass. Just make sure you get a 50mm too! :wink:

Some people got bothered of us taking snaps of them, and more importantly, their kids, understandably. But yeah, seeing the museum swarmed with Alpha DSLRs was great for change. I only saw two Canons, one Nikon and well over 60 Alphas! Haha!

For indoor purposes, at least the one I frequently encounter, even a constant f/2.8 is not enough at ISO 800. That's what you'd use the 50mm for. Many here on CL even know I shoot at exposures like 1/40 sec, f/1.4 and ISO 3200. A 17-50mm f/2.8 is not gonna get you very far in such conditions...

By the way, with a Zeiss 35mm, do you refer to the Zeiss 135mm or the Sony 35mm G lens? I wanna get both, haha, but the 35mm would be up first. For landscapes, that new Zeiss 24mm f/2 SSM might be even better, and probably cheaper too (I hope).

- Bjorn -