Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:07 pm 

Hi everybody!

The first thing I would say is: CLabs is a great site.
I'm having some questions about the Sony A550 DSLR. I would have some advices. 2 months ago I bought the Lumix FZ-28 for €200 ($230)with memory, extra accu and a bag. Not bad. The reason I bought it, is money. I'm 15 years old, dont have much money, and I've used a SLR (not D), and I was looking for a cheap camera that has the same functions (and more, of course).
I only use the M-mode, with MF, K-temp white bal. etc.
I'm looking for a camera which I'll buy in 2 years or something (2nd hands?). A DSLR should it be. My eye is fallen at this Sony, because with this Sony I can use my old SLR lenses (28mm, 35-70 2x, 80-200 all X 1,5 because of the crop sensor)
What can I do with this DSLR more than with the FZ-28? And, what do you mean with "minimal customisation" in the verdict?

Many thanks, and hoping of a response,

Ruben

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:37 pm 
Hi Ruben, and welcome to CameraLabs :)
Here is Gordon's review of A-550 . take a look at it. You'll find it very useful in making a decision.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_DSLR_A550/

Regarding the advantage of a DSLR over P & S, check it out:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR_or_compact/should_you_buy_a_DSLR.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for response!
I read Gordon's yesterday, and I got a question:
On my FZ-28, I can manually set the white balance (also with red, blue, yellow and green), I can set sharpness, Contrast, saturation and Noise reduction. Of course I can set the shutter, aperture and focus manually.
So, what can I set more on a DSLR?

Thanks,
Ruben

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:34 pm 
Hi Ruben :),
That's an interesting question as you pretty much covered all the basic funtions in the P&S.
First thing to do is to download the PDF manual of your desired DSLR from the official website and read it thoroughly. As you are familiar with all the basic funtions, you will notice anything of interest.

Other then that, i don't see it the way you do. It's not wise to compaere the DSLR with P&S on the basis of similar functions. There are some P&S which have more functions then an entry level DSLR and probably you can count some mid range DSLR's too. but that doesn't make the P&S better....Well, among many other things the most common differentiating factors are the quality of the features like better ISO performance (Less noise), and the choices of huge variety of lenses according to your style of shooting, more dedicated buttons to perform quick actions, better viewfinder etc etc. At some point, if you keep on growing with photography, you'll be stuck with the P&S, no matter how good it is. In the price range of some good quality P&S, you can easily get an entry level DSLR which will most probably out performs that expensive P&S. You'll always have the option to buy lenses according to your style of shooting. And this something which you should not take for granted. The most basic of style is the Shallow depth of field effect. It hard to achieve by a P&S, but not a problem if you have the DSLR and the right lens. I can share a lot of other factors with you. Just buzz me if you need me to. In the mean time, download the PDF, probably A-500's, if that's what you are interested in, and then tell me what do you think about it or any othe DSLR model.
Have a nice day :),
Rizwan.

Edit:
If you keep on shooting with the P&S for two years, there will be no need for you to ask the questions you inquired about in your post. You'll definitely get the whole idea :lol:
I have also got a question for you. You are 15yrs old, as you mentioned yourself. And in your signature, you are mentioning "Pupil of 3rd class". Why? Did you started late or .......???? :shock: :roll:

Last edited by frs69 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:51 pm 

Hi Rizwan :),

Thanks for responsing so quickly. Gordon said in his review, the A550 has minimal customisations. What does he (or you if you're reading it, Gordon) mean? Has the 1000d from Canon more customisation options? The reason I took the 1000d for comparing is because it's for me the same price. The 1000d with a 18-200 is maybey more expensive then the a550 body only.

So, what are the "minimal customisations''?

Have a nice day I could say, I'm sleeping in an hour;) (Holland)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:01 pm 
Ruben, i would say, go to bed :lol: If you still got an hour, then download the PDF files for both A-500 and Canon EOS-1000. Read them and then discuss it with me tomorrow or later. I'll wait for your post. In fact, i'll post the answer to your question later tonight. You'll get my reply, definitely.
Good night and sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm 

Haha, thanks :'D

Good night :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:38 pm 

Welkom Ruben op het forum van Camera Labs. Merkte gelijk dat je uit Nederland komt toen ik '2nd hands' las. We'd call that 'used', a used camera.

Anyway, to plan purchasing a body two years in advance seems a bit odd. In two years, you'll be 17 and probably in a better position to get camera gear. Try getting a job at Albert Heijn and save up for a new camera, perhaps. Or if that's not an option, sure, you could get a used camera. Just remember, digital cameras' have a short life-cycle (not saying they literally die in a few years) meaning there'll be better and affordable alternatives not too long after the original product has been introduced. So when you get an A550 in two years, it will be somewhat outdated compared to the latest generation of DSLRs.

I was 16 years old when I got my A700 with the Zeiss 16-80mm, new, and at quite a ridiculous price compared to what you'd have to pay for it a year or so later. Not all people can save as well as I could back then, it just takes a whole lot of patience and perseverence.

Like Rizwan, I agree it's not right to compare a DSLR with a point-and-shoot. Though you may be able to set a wide variety of settings on your camera, the way you do it is probably not as easy as it is on a DSLR. When I want to get creative (quite a lot lately), I set my f/-stop, shutterspeed, ISO, whitebalance (in Kelvin degrees) myself. Plus, I shoot RAW, which means you can fine-tune a lot of your settings in Photoshop or other editing software. That element is key as well. You'd normally NEVER set things like contrast, saturation, sharpness etc. on the camera itself. Those things are taken care off in post since that gives you much greater control.

On a final note: comparing the 1000D to the A550 is unjust. The 1000D is positioned way lower in the market, and can better be compared to the A230 or A330.

My advice at this moment: start saving, sell your current gear when you're nearly there, and get a new DSLR. Just my 2 cents...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:15 pm 
Hey Ruben,
I hope you are still asleep :lol:

Hey, I have done some homework for you :lol:. Only because you are a kid and i promised you :evil:. Now, here is the quote from Gordon's own review. (I know that you only read Gordon's Verdict :evil:) . You should have read the whole review :evil: :lol: :lol: Anyway, read it carefully, despite the fact that you don't need it for at least two more years :lol: Besides that, read every single word of Bjorn's Van Sinttruije's post carefully. It's the best advise you'll get.

Following are Gordon's comments on A-550 and by reading it carefully :evil: you'll learn about the minimal customizations :lol::

"As described above, the downsides are a lack of features which enthusiasts take for granted (such as a depth-of-field preview, broad customisation and Program Shift), along with the absence of a movie mode."

"the fastest flash sync speed is 1/160. Like most non-pro bodies, there's no figures quoted for the longevity of the shutter block."

"Exposure bracketing is available with three frames at either 1/3 or 2/3 EV apart."

"The Manual, Aperture and Shutter Priority modes of course allow you to select the desired exposure settings, although it’s worth noting there’s strangely no Program Shift. So when shooting with the A550 in P mode, you have to accept its exposure settings as oppose to tweaking the aperture and shutter combination with a finger dial like most DSLRs – not to mention many higher-end compacts."

"In terms of other drive modes, there's the choice of two or 10 second self-timers, but still no mirror-lockup facility. The drive menu is also where you’ll find bracketing options, although as described above, they’re fairly basic with the choice of shooting three frames at either 0.3 or 0.7 EV apart."

Now Ruben, my advise to you is to forget about this right now. Work your way with the P&S you got. It's a good one. Study hard. Start saving money. Who knows, how much you'll save in 2 years. You cannot decide now about something which you want to buy after two years. Specially if it's a Camera.
My best wishes to you.
Rizwan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 am 

Hi all,

I read the review in 2 days, because of its length. However, DOF preview, exposure bracketing which isn't very broad and program shift are not things I would use very much.
The reason I'm searching for a new camera from this date is, over 2 years is this camera "old" and "out". 20 Mp is the new standard for the camera, maybe HD video on the Sony, but the camera stays the same, with specifications that are good enough for me. Over 2 years, people do want to buy another camera than the old A550, and will sell them at/on (?) marktplaats, a site like ebay. I will buy the body for only a trifle (I hope), just like my FZ-28.
I hope you understand me, a job in Albert Heijn or something could be a problem, because of my school, and my illness. Im ill for 1 year, after having pfeiffer. School is hard, and I dont have much free time.

So,
Thanks for your help :D

Ruben