Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick message to let you know we've posted a full review and video tour of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T70 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_ ... t_DSC_T70/

Check out the video to see Sony's touch screen and smile-recognition in action!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:15 am 

Good grief - another review already. :) I was going to suggest you take the rest of the weekend off but I see that, for you, it's already over. :?

An interesting camera. I especially like its inability to take a picture of me when smile detection is turned on. :evil:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:35 am 
Site Admin

Don't say that Bob! I always imagined you with a smile on your face!

Anyway, luckily the smile detection is optional!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:42 am 

Great review and interesting camera. The touch screen seems useful for focusing and image playback but it is actually better when navigating menus?
I can imagine the lack of tactile feedback being a problem for me.

The smile-recognition could be used to convince people who, like me, refuse to smile for photos. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm 

grahamnp wrote:
Great review and interesting camera. The touch screen seems useful for focusing and image playback but it is actually better when navigating menus?
I can imagine the lack of tactile feedback being a problem for me.

The smile-recognition could be used to convince people who, like me, refuse to smile for photos. :lol:

I thought I'd never grow to like the menu system and touch screen on my T200 but quickly grew to love it. Image quality isn't up to par with my Fuji F30 but it's a camera for a different purpose so I don't expect as much. Sony really did a great job with the touch screen. I'm used to my A700 and previously A100 menus and buttons so was shocked to like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi ChiSoxFan, do you use the Smile Shutter mode often?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:09 pm 

I have touch screen on my mobile phone (M600i) and I wouldn't want another phone without it. But that's not a reason for me to buy the T70. Nice review, but I'm still going for the A700.
(BTW: I sold my camcorder, so now I have 1230 euros. A700 + CZ 16-80 still costs 1949 euros here, so I'll have to wait for a while still).

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:05 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi ChiSoxFan, do you use the Smile Shutter mode often?

Unfortunately I haven't even given it a try yet but have been meaning to mess with it. Been too busy playing with my new A700 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:07 pm 

Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
I have touch screen on my mobile phone (M600i) and I wouldn't want another phone without it. But that's not a reason for me to buy the T70. Nice review, but I'm still going for the A700.
(BTW: I sold my camcorder, so now I have 1230 euros. A700 + CZ 16-80 still costs 1949 euros here, so I'll have to wait for a while still).

- Bjorn -

Bjorn, have you considered the 18-250 instead of the Zeiss? You might be able to get it a bit cheaper too. I'm anxiously awaiting a review on the 18-250 before I jump in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:14 pm 

Nice review, Gordon! Did you notice any degradation in contrast under unfavourable lighting?
The reason I ask: the Sony T1 has the same lens construction and I found out the hard way that the contrast is very limited when there is the least bit of contra-light. Even the clear blue sky shining into the lens made the pics take on the hue of the sky and wash out the blacks :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:53 pm 

ChiSoxFan wrote:
Bjorn, have you considered the 18-250 instead of the Zeiss? You might be able to get it a bit cheaper too. I'm anxiously awaiting a review on the 18-250 before I jump in.

I haven't considered that lens for two reasons:
1. I know that superzooms have some problems at either short or long focal lengths, and I want to have a good lens from the start.
2. I am awaiting the 70-300 G, which is also high quality and complement the 16-80 very well.
I've read and watched Gordon's review of the CZ lens and I thinks it's the right lens for me. But thanks for your suggestion.

Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject: sony cybershot DSC T70
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:54 am 

Does the Sony DSC-T70 digital camera includes "Wide Zoom Display?" Which means it can be fit 4:3 and 3:2 aspect ratio into 16:9 still remaining the best quality as 3:2 or 4:3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi Samsung92, do you mean like how a widescreen TV works? IE a mode where you're still dealing with 4:3 content, but you zoom-in on it to fill a 16:9 screen and just crop the top and bottom?

Sadly the T70 won't do this. If you want to fill the screen, you'll have to shoot in 16:9 mode, which crops the image vertically. If you want ALL the vertical pixels on the sensor, you'll need to shoot in 4:3 mode and put up with black bars running down the left and right sides...

The same applies to the T200.

Gordon

Post subject: sony cybershot DSC T70
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:10 pm 

Take a look of the bottom page of this website http://sonystyle.ca/html/multimedia/DSC ... ite_html/f eature_3.html This might help my explanation of my previous question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Are you asking what happens when you connect the T70 / T200 to an HDTV with the component cable - and how it handles the camera's different image modes?

I didn't get a chance to test this aspect of the T70, but suspect 4:3 images would still be shown on an HDTV with black bars down the left and right sides.

I think this is something you'd best see for yourself, so I'd visit a Sony center and ask them to hook up a T70 to one of their HDTVs with the HD cable. Then take shots with the T70 in 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 modes to see how they look on-screen.

Then tell us what happens!