Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:34 pm 
OneGuy wrote:
Basically same as A550 but without quick AF live view, smaller LCD (2.6 inch). Longer battery life as a result. All the rest seems same as A550.

Thoughts? Too many sub $1000 models?

Sony should release this one very cheap. Otherwise there won't be any point to it (given A500 is only $649 right now).

Another minor difference. The OVF is slightly bigger than A550

A450
Magnification approx. 0.83x
95% frame coverage

A550
Magnification approx. 0.80x
95% frame coverage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:03 pm 
In the market segment where Nikon has the D3000, Sony has the A230/A330/A380. In the D5000 segment, Sony will now have the A450/A500/A550. The A700 used to compete in the D90 segment, but that's been discontinued. Sony have nothing in the D300 segment and the A850/A900 compete against the D700.

Sony appear to be flooding the low end market with loads of very similar cameras. This is an interesting strategy to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 pm 
WHY?????? has sony forgotten about us the A700 and up users? I really hope this A450 has a bigger brother coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:18 pm 
I am pretty sure successor to A700 must be sometime this year, also the update of A900.

Some people predicted there will be more than one, for example A650 and A750

I think Sony strategy is.. to make camera for anybody. So you can exactly buy camera that you want and save money in the process.

A450 for example, is for people who don't use live view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:34 am 
The problem with adopting a "camera to suit everybody" is stock. We all know that literally all shops stock loads of Canon/Nikon gear, and if you're lucky they'll have a decent selection of Sony kit and if you strike gold they'll be some Pentax and Olympus gear. With so many different bodies, only the largest camera superstore is going to be able to afford to stock the entire Sony lineup. And that's just for the low margin low end cameras.

I'm not convinced that this is the best approach for a product line up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:43 am 
Some are claiming that this model will not be released in the US. It may be limited model for regions where Sony does well (such as europe?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:30 am 
I'm with pgtips on this one, they simply have to many models for your average photography shop to keep them all in stock.

However, This approach suits me just fine, the reason I got the A230 not the 330 or the 380 is because (despite the fact I'm upgrading from a compact) I don't care for live view, so I'll take the slightly larger view finder over a system, that while good, I will never use.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:04 pm 

This year is mostly about lenses (good source) and towards the third and fourth quarter, we might see new camera's. My guess is Sony realises it has to integrate video in their DSLRs if they wish to keep at least some of their reputation up, and they don't want to make compromises on that feature. Means it's taking a little longer...

Doesn't bother me. Plenty of lenses on the wishlist to buy before getting a new body.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:34 pm 
This camera looks very nice,I was really fed up with the "toy" aspect of the low-end models. The FPS is amazing,this will attract some attention from buyers. (if the price is low enough,of course)

On the other hand,I hope I'll see that 35 Mpx full-frame camera this year. (if it's not just another rumour)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:28 am 
OneGuy wrote:
Some are claiming that this model will not be released in the US. It may be limited model for regions where Sony does well (such as europe?).

Looks like A450 is for Europe only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:49 pm 
Was watching a marketing presentation which had a theme of basically bucking the trend in order to make gains. It profiled the Wii, Ipod, Iphone and Google calendar (and a couple of others).

One of the interesting bits to me was that all these products/services made a name for themselves from basically being the antithesis of the established brands. One chart showed several indicators such as price, target audience, complexity, technology, etc. of the Wii compared to the PS3 and XBOX and it was interesting in that, wherever the competition was, the Wii was in the opposite space. Where the Xbox and PS3 was expensive, the Wii was cheap, when the competition was technologically advanced, the Wii was relatively simple, where the competition focused on specs, the Wii focused on fun and when the competition targeted the hard core users, the Wii targeted casual users.

Not saying this is what Sony is up to, but its interesting that there are many ways to approach marketing and maybe Sony knows what its doing, and maybe not :D . But, the takeaway from what I got is that you might not even be the target market for Sony in the scheme of things. Any company that releases 12 basic consumer cameras in ONE DAY is clearly focused on casual users no matter what, and while power users (most of us here) might be frustrated with this strategy, the majority (casual users) will have different needs overall.

Clearly, there are many arguments against that approach, but if Sony thinks it will make greater long term gains by having 20 low end DSLR bodies, then that's what they will focus on. We should all be happy that all signs suggest that the A230/A330/A380 didn't turn out how Sony expected, so maybe they'll see that this market is a different beast and needs a concerted and focused effort to make any impact.