Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:03 pm 
Does anyone have recomendations for what settings to use on a Sony a-350 for shooting a live band in a small club? I want to be able to get clean shots with no flash so that I get all of the effects from the stage lighting on the band in the shots. Any help with this would be great as it is one of the main reasons I bought the camera (shooting live bands).

Thanks again,
Blake

(I searched this topic and couldn't find anything specific to my camera and question, so if this has been discussed before, my apologies)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:35 pm 

It depends on how the lighting is in there. In general, it'll be on the lower end, so to prevent motion blur (unless that is a wanted effect) you may find yourself needing to use a higher ISO setting than otherwise. When taking shots, do review them frequently (zoomed in) to check for subject motion blur and adjust settings if needed. As you may have noted already, the noise of the A350 isn't the best at higher ISO so you may want to look at processing later to help control it.

Having SSS on will help prevent blur from your motion, but wont help with the subject moving. If you have a lens with a big aperture (low f number) then use that to get as much as you can.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:17 pm 
Some pointers:
1) Fast lenses definitely will help.. Bring a 50mm 1.7/1.4 with you and if you can get close, this is the best lens for it.
2) up to ISO 800 is alright.. anything over that, it might be a better idea to shoot black and white...
3) shoot RAW, it gives you more flexibility during post-processing
4) experiment with slow-sync flash - it gives you some artistic shots.
5) if you have a 70-200mm f2.8, that is great! otherwise get your highest aperture zoom lens if you cannot get close enough to the stage.
6) learn good timing! Be on your toes all the time.
7) know when to use spot metering.. useful when there are strobe lights or spotlights.
8) shoot as many as your CF card allows you to.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:35 pm 
Thanks for all the advise. I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.