Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:30 am 
Hi everyone!
I sold my Oly E400, because I was in need of money...so I decided to look for a cheaper superzoom. During my surfing on the internet, I came across the Sony Cybershot H3. I would like you, to share your opinions with me about this camera. Considering the information I've found on the internet, it is a very good camera, the 10times optical zoom in such small size is very handy for me. By the way, does anyone know about the HD smart zoom in this camera? According to a hungarian website: the H3's HD smart zoom (in 16:9 scale) is 17times zoom. How is that? By the same way as Panasonic does in the FZ series with the extra optical zoom?

Thanks for your replies!
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi hdanesz, smartzoom is just a digital zoom which only operates when you reduce the recording resolution.

I haven't tested the H3, so can't comment, but if it's anything like the H9, it may have some noise reduction issues which smear out fine detail. Most Sony cameras these days seem to suffer from it sadly. So I'd look closely at sample images if that's likely to bother you.

As for the best super-zooms right now? Here's our list!

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... mera.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
I haven't tested the H3, so can't comment, but if it's anything like the H9, it may have some noise reduction issues which smear out fine detail.
Gordon

And may I ask, if you are planning to do a review on the H3 ? Maybe if so, I'll wait for it..and make my final decision after I have read the review and watched the video tour.

P.S.: I find your video tours quite handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I have no immediate plans to do the H3, but I may do in the future. Sorry I can't be more specific! It certainly wouldn't be before Christmas if that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:57 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi, I have no immediate plans to do the H3, but I may do in the future. Sorry I can't be more specific! It certainly wouldn't be before Christmas if that helps!

Okay, no problem. Probably because of the lack of EVF, the H3 will drop out of my list. :)

Post subject: An H9 maybe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:23 pm 

Hey hdanesz,

I don't own an H3, but I've read about it and it certainly seems like a nice camera. However, if you can afford it, I'd recommend the H9. It's bigger, of course, but I tried it out in a store some time ago and it felt great. Zoom range is also greater, and I guess the quality of the images might be slightly beter because of the bigger lens. You should read and watch Gordon's review and see what you think of it.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject: Re: An H9 maybe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:58 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Hey hdanesz,

I don't own an H3, but I've read about it and it certainly seems like a nice camera. However, if you can afford it, I'd recommend the H9. It's bigger, of course, but I tried it out in a store some time ago and it felt great. Zoom range is also greater, and I guess the quality of the images might be slightly beter because of the bigger lens. You should read and watch Gordon's review and see what you think of it.

- Bjorn -

Thanks for the advice! I've just seen Gordon's review about the H9. Definitely looks an impressive camera. As for myself, I think that the best way is to touch and feel how the camera feels in your hands...so right now I'm waiting for the H3 to be put on display in some of the shops. I tried the H9 in my hands couple of days ago, and it felt great....only there's something strange about its looks..and that huge lens hood. :) One question for Gordon: didn't you find the huge lens hood disturbing when using the camera?Or you just didn't use it at all? :)
Maybe I'm the only person who takes such a big deal about the looks of a camera. :) I've never owned a Sony camera before, but certainly the brand name has lot of respect in the market, and high reputation among manufacturers. As far as I know, Sony cameras produce vivid,accurate colours on the pictures, that's something I like.
I hope to come to a decision in the near future...

thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Admin

I'm a big fan of lens hoods, but I find the ones on Sony superzooms are a bit impractical! But at least they supply them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
I'm a big fan of lens hoods, but I find the ones on Sony superzooms are a bit impractical! But at least they supply them.

I'm also fond of lens hoods, I was quite satisfied with the one supplied with my Panasonic FZ30. All in all, it was quite a good camera, but because of its high noise levels, I decided to sell it...and try something else. But now, as I can see - in case of compacts/superzooms it is either high noise levels or high noise filtering/smearing out of details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:03 am 
The H3 is a good cam, I will buy it soon.

The quality of the image is good, the noise a ISO 1600 is good and this cam look like a mini-DSLR... :lol:

The DRO in this cam performance very well, and the AF I think that is more fast that another prosumers, of course, no fast like a reflex...

The ISO 1600 and 3200 is very useful...

Excuse my english...