Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:30 pm 
Razvan wrote:
But you lose important details,color accuracy & other things by increasing the ISO to the roof. :)

Quote:
The "mood" of the noise is a fake judgement...if the shutter allows you,it's better to use lower ISO-s & add the noise later

Quote:
This way,your details will be preserved & you can also control the quantity & quality of noise you need for that photo's general mood.

Hi Razvan,
I am not an expert on this, in fact i am just trying to be the "beholder, in who's eyes, lies the beauty" :lol:

I agree that controlling the quality and quantity of any picture is the more appropriate way to take a shot. I deliberately used the term appropriate. As there are some basic guidelines but no right and wrong in photography. Besides, how do you define Control, in photography. If by control you mean taking crystal clear and sharp pictures. With all due respect, i disagree. I will humbly ask you, how do you define "Shallow depth of field". Focusing on one small portion of one object and leaving the rest out of focus no matter if the surrounding is beautiful and full of natural vibrant colours....... well people goes like "Wow" on that DoF effect. Photographers don't only buy f1.4 or f1.8 lenses for their brightness, they always speak about how creamy is the bokeh.

How do you define bokeh? One can say that it's a flaw. But then we will disagree that it's not.
Did the person who invented camera/Lens, printed in the manual that "Dear Customers, with this equipment, you can take crystal clear shots and you can also mess up the 90% of the picture and still feel happy about it. Or did they say that buy this lens instead of the other bcoz this one creates much more mess. LOL". With all due respect Razvan, we even invented a term for that mess i.e Shallow depth of field and we all call it a Technique. We all call it Art. I can go one by one on B&W, Sepia, and other filters. Keeping in mind that we are not bound to shoot in B&W or Sepia, but we do and we like it. Why do we appreciate the B&W when we have the ability to shoot in color? Why do we soften the skin, why do we use healing brushes? And don't forget, there is infra red photography too. LOL Who on the first place, defines these as techniques. Nobody has the right because everybody loves to think out of the box. Nobody is bound to follow only. We only take inspiration out of other peoples work. And that is enough.

You mentioned that by increasing the iso, important details and color accuracy among other important things will be lost. Well, "If the shutter allows" then why would one put himself into trouble of self introducing the noise by increasing the iso on purpose, and i am saying "On purpose" (though, i honestly don't care if someone is getting their desired results) In my humble opinion, it's all about that moment when you see an opportunity for a shot and you take it. Composing it the best possible way you can. If the light out there is not enough... and that particular moment is going to be over, you are not sure when, what will you do in such a situation? Well you wont set the iso at 100 bcoz you know that you will miss the shot. Check Bjorn's shot again. His main subject is the man standing in the middle of the picture. Look at his stance, his face, his whole body language. He is unaware that he was being spotted by a photographer. Now comes the surrounding... Light is poor and you can't use the flash. What will you do? If I were you i'll capture that moment no matter what. Of course i'll do my best. Bjorn's composition is truly wonderful considering the circumstances. If it would have been an indoor shot, with someone lying on the couch. Then it would be fair to criticize Bjorn for needlessly raising the iso and introducing noise, when he could have preserved the details and could easily introduced the noise in PP. No such shot is in discussion to be called as fake judgment.

I am unable to understand what you said in the second quote. "The "mood" of the noise is a fake judgement...if the shutter allows you,it's better to use lower ISO-s & add the noise later" you are calling it a fake judgment and conditioning it with an "if". Well, that "if" is the only reason behind every action, taken to get the shots containing noise. If you know what i mean. I think this post is getting longer. Just take it as a discussion not a debate. I am a novice and you are an experienced photographer :wink: My only intention is to learn from you guys. I apologize if i didn't make myself clear enough. I hope you will humbly point out my mistakes.
Kindest Regards,
Rizwan.

Last edited by frs69 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:06 pm 

Hello Theresa, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
What are your normal steps to avoid noise? Expose to the right, post-processing, other steps?
And yes, you're right: Color-noise can really become quite ugly :shock:

Post subject: get a noisy camera
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:10 pm 
People who like noise would be impressed with one of the all singing all dancing superzooms now available ( panasonic fz38 / canon sx20is ) to name but two. They have fantastic zoom lenses, HD video, full manual controls etc etc etc ...... really great value cameras ..... and best of all noise starts at about 400 iso, unless you get the very latest 30x zooms from Nikon and Fuji recently announced which are using backside illuminated sensers which are less noisy ( entry level dslr users will be looking nervously over there shoulders I think )
Personally I think noise looks great in black and white photos but not in colour so its best to avoid it and add it afterwards if required with elements or something.
If you need to remove noise I have found noiseware very good and simple to use .... and free. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm 

Hello rfb, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Noise in color often looks worse than in black and white as there is a special component called color-noise that makes the images look "blotchy" - colored patches spoiling the image.
I have tried a few times in Lightroom and CaptureNX to turn the noise-reduction only for color-noise up to the max and looked very critical for any negative effects: And I found none!
But if you turn up noise-reduction on luminance-noise you immediately see the smearing effect (at least in 100% view).
So this made me less nervous on using the NR-slider - but only the one for color-noise...