Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:12 pm 
Hi guys,

I've had my a200 for just over a year now and when I purchased it I was really happy with it. Value for money was excellent when compared to some of the so called 'big guns' models. My photography skills have not improved at the rate at which I'd like but eventually I seem to be getting somewhere now.

I have a few questions and I apologise if they are stupid.

1. For a FF camera do only certain lenses work on these?

2. I've only got the kit 18-70 lens at the moment and would like a 70-300 zoom for sports and long distance shots. Any recommendations?

3. A few folk I've spoken to have done the "Why didn't you buy Nikon or Canon" speech and what I'm basically wondering is how many Pro's out there are using Sony gear. It's not really applicable to me at the moment but my dream is to slowly improve and hopefully use photography as a source of income in years to come. I know I'm posting this on a Sony board and most people will be totally Sony focused but do you really think that Sony offer the back up and range of accessories for a Wedding photgrapher for example?

I know that I'm asking quite a lot of big questions but I'd appreciate anyone's experience good or bad.

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:49 pm 

Hi, and welcome!

You have come to the right spot with your questions. No apologise needed of course!

1) Not all lenses are designed for the larger FF-sensor size. Sony's DT lenses for example are specially designed voor the smaller 'cropped' sensor size, as found in your A200. You could mount your 18-70 lens on an A900, but it will switch to 'cropped'-mode (reducing the effective pixel amount of the sensor).

2) I have Sony's 70-300G lens; and the Minolta 100-300mm APO lens before had that. For sports, fast focus and fast (and constant) aperture are ideal features on a zoomlens. However, a combination of both makes a heavier, larger (thus less portable) and more expensive lens. I think the 70-300G's focus speed is as fast at it gets in this zoomrange, compared to other alternatives, but it isn't exactly lightning fast. It is also quite expensive.

Sony also has a much much more affordable 75-300 lens which, I assume, is very much in the same league as the 18-70 lens.

See this excellent guide for available sony/third party options:
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7968

3) 'Is brand A really better than brand B' is a discussion of all ages. There are many professionals working with cameras which we now may consider 'old' and outdated. Next year's mid-range camera may outperform the camera which we considered pro last year. In the end, it is 'only' technology. A professional is not defined by the per-pixel sharpness of Canon or the high ISO performance of Nikon (though interesting it might be!). I think a keen eye for composition is much more important.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:09 pm 

cha22a wrote:
A few folk I've spoken to have done the "Why didn't you buy Nikon or Canon" speech and what I'm basically wondering is how many Pro's out there are using Sony gear.

Thanks in advance

Why would it matter? O_o Camera works different in each person's hands. Find the one that works for you.

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:41 am 
1) Yes, but the only lens in Sonys range that are not designed for full frame are some of their ultra wide angle zooms like their 11-18 or their 18-70

2) 50mm, be it f/1.8, 1.7, or 1.4, just get one! Wide to standard f/2.8 lens (ala 24-70 or 28-75). Then a standard to telephoto f/2.8 or f/4 zoom lens, ala 70-200 f/2.8G or the 80-200 f/2.8 APO.

3) Im a professional and I use Sony gear for the widest range of my work. I also have worked in studios and setups with both Nikon and Canon gear. It doesn't ever matter to the client which brand I'm shooting with, and it will never make any difference to the client. The difference it makes is to you - the photographer, with the cameras unique features and interface. Anybody who says that Sony does not belong in pro's gear has no idea what they are talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:14 pm 

Hello cha22a, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
As to your questions: Don't worry about Sony, Nikon or Canon. All make good gear and will not hinder you in becoming a good photographer. As many people will tell you: the lens and your eyes are more important to shooting good photos than your camera-body. And Sony makes some very good lenses too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:06 pm 
Thanks for the sound advice everyone. Much appreciated!

Thomas thanks for pointing out the house rules. Have I broken one of these? If I have please accept my apologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:32 pm 
You haven't broken any. Thomas always politely points newcomers to our house rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:41 pm 

Everything's fine, cha22a.

Have fun!