Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:42 am 
following on from my thread on fireworks i turned my camera to shutter priority mode this morning and tried to select bulb mode but the shutter speed would only go down so far....

would this have been due to lighting - i was in my lounge and it was quite dark?

Or would i need to set the aperture to a certain number?

Only concern if it is the light is that i will be shooting fireworks at night....!

Thanks,

Woza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 am 

as stated in my last post - I'm not sure what the problem is?

If you set the shutter speed to 2 seconds that will be more than enough to take a picture of fireworks...

I have an A200 myself, and know if I set it to 'S' on the dial, and move the control wheel infront of the shutter button so that it sets the camera to a 2 second exposure then this is enough to capture the explosion of a firework.

PhilDiggle wrote:
I found that it was relatively straight forward to shoot fireworks using the Shutter Priority Mode.

This is one shot I've achieved with it:

The Exif on this was:
2 Sec exposure
f/25
focal 28mm

Make sure you have a tripod handy because you wont be able to hold the camera steady for 2 seconds. It's longer than you think it is!

I found 2 seconds to be about the right length of time to have the shutter open to take that burst of light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:19 pm 
Not 100% sure on this but do you not need to select full manual mode to get "bulb" mode.

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:42 pm 
Are you sure you meant go down? To access the bulb mode, turn the wheel to the direction of a longer shutterspeed. The bulb mode is after the 30' mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:44 am 
I'm not sure if bulb mode is available in S mode, but it's definitely there in M mode.

Actually, it can't be in S mode, becuase the camera won't know how long of a shutter speed you intend to you and thus won't be able to meter off of it. Set your camera to M mode and then use bulb.