Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 pm 
When I get home from uni later today I'll upload some better exposed images where the noise is just as bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 pm 
Wouldn't overexposing in theory help boost the signal and help SNR performance? Assuming the ISO is kept constant.... noise is less obvious in daytime shots when compared to night shots.

Those images look very soft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:27 pm 
sdowden wrote:
When I get home from uni later today I'll upload some better exposed images where the noise is just as bad.

IMHO you're expecting too much from that camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:51 pm 

i shoot under dim light conditions and found that there is a lot of noise especially in the shadows. i found one thing that helps is adusting the colour temperature. the photo looks like it was taken on an overcast day. the auto white balance some times is off. i would recommend setting the colour temperature manually to 7500K or even higher. it should open up the darker areas more and help reduce the noise. try some test shots under similar lighting and set the temperature at different degrees, ie 7500, 8500, 9500 and see which you like better.

using the fastest lens you have may help too. and make sure you check the histogram of your test shot. it should be in the middle of the graph or even a little to the right, but watch for clipping. shooting in raw is best too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:13 am 
I never ever use auto white balance.
I have a little guide which works pretty well, also have a white board which goes with my cameras.

Now I shot at 800 ISO on the weekend and while there was some noise I tried a few things.

I read here that sometimes the Sonys will under-exp. so I over-exp. by 2 stops (using a light meter). In some cases I got noise, mainly in the shadows but over-all useable for the web at least.
I shoot in Adobe RGB, but I sharpened up by 2.
I think that allowed me to over-exp. a little.

In Aperture they look a little noisy so i exported the masters (RAW file) to a new folder, opened in photoshop RAW & sharpened, denoised, fixed the colour and Exp. then opened as a 16bit 4113 x 6144, 500 ppi file where my girlfriend helped me on a few tricks, got rid of about 40% of the noise at 100%, I then save them that size but print at A4, so far I've had a few hits, only 3 have been misses.

Still think that I'll swap over to Nikon when buying a full frame camera in the next few months as I just know that have better NR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:27 pm 
sdowden wrote:
I read here that sometimes the Sonys will under-exp. so I over-exp. by 2 stops (using a light meter).

As always, some sample shots would help us identify the problem. The A200 does have a tendency to underexpose, but never more than 0.7 stop. So over exposing by 2 stops is ... extreme as you'll suffer from blown highlights and a general reduction in contrast.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're doing something wrong. If you could show us some samples, preferably a comparison between photos taken at automatic and manual exposure.