Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A500/A550 rumours
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:50 am 

Even if we might be as little as a week away from an official announcement, the rumours around the A5xx are hotting up now. Links taken from this dyxum thread.

A500 data: original - google translation
A500 and A850 discussion: original - google translation

I'm still going through the details myself, but so far it seems consistent with what I believe are the more credible rumours seen previously.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:15 pm 

*assuming* it is accurate, I note the following:
The body shape of the A500 seems on the smaller side. The design echos the new low end bodies, but the grip at least has been kept bigger like traditional.
The display appears to be a low resolution model, folding like A3xx.
Exmor 12MP sensor and 5 fps
MS and SD - no CF!
"double" live view - fast mode same as A3xx, plus new one assumed to be main sensor based. Face recognition is mentioned.
Price 650 euro

Given the above, this sounds more like the original A3xx replacement we were expecting as opposed to the refresh we did get. It does not quite sound like it is targeting the A700 directly after all even if it has the same speed. In fact, if you combined the A3xx and A700, this is what you would expect. This should stand well against the other upper-entry level cameras, other than there is no mention of video mode. The new A3xx would get pushed down at last where they belong.

It remains to be seen if keeping the quick live view mode will continue to impact the viewfinder, or if perhaps they have found a way around it now.

Although not mentioned in these links, other rumours state the A550 will be around 15MP, with actual next generation A7xx due next year.

Personal opinion: if this happens I'll rate myself as 50% likely to replace my A350 with it by the end of the year, after buying the A850. Subject to Canon pulling any big surprises before then (7D?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:33 pm 
popo wrote:
*assuming* it is accurate, I note the following:
The body shape of the A500 seems on the smaller side. The design echos the new low end bodies, but the grip at least has been kept bigger like traditional.
The display appears to be a low resolution model, folding like A3xx.
Exmor 12MP sensor and 5 fps
MS and SD - no CF!
"double" live view - fast mode same as A3xx, plus new one assumed to be main sensor based. Face recognition is mentioned.
Price 650 euro

Given the above, this sounds more like the original A3xx replacement we were expecting as opposed to the refresh we did get. It does not quite sound like it is targeting the A700 directly after all even if it has the same speed. In fact, if you combined the A3xx and A700, this is what you would expect. This should stand well against the other upper-entry level cameras, other than there is no mention of video mode. The new A3xx would get pushed down at last where they belong.

It remains to be seen if keeping the quick live view mode will continue to impact the viewfinder, or if perhaps they have found a way around it now.

Although not mentioned in these links, other rumours state the A550 will be around 15MP, with actual next generation A7xx due next year.

Personal opinion: if this happens I'll rate myself as 50% likely to replace my A350 with it by the end of the year, after buying the A850. Subject to Canon pulling any big surprises before then (7D?).

Wow? 5fps, quick liveview with sensor based liveview(first sony DSLR with this feature?), A700's Cmos sensor(probably), all for only 50€ more than the A380?
I don't think the A380 will do very well...

You missed out a few more bits...(direct translation from google)
-with 5 levels of Dynamic Range Optimizer (this means it has A700's awesome Dynamic range?)
-built-in HDR function
-face detection (up to 8 faces)

Hopefully they implement the A700's Quick Navi instead of the A3xx's slow navi..
I personally think the design is not bad at all. Especially the larger grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:43 pm 
When is the earliest time we could get a word on Sony's press release Wednesday? GMT -5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:33 pm 

Personally I find the DRO in the A3xx doesn't really have any significant impact so I don't care about it. The A700 DRO seems to have stronger settings so might be more interesting.

I have to wonder about the price, if that web site is correct. Then again, I think the refresh A3xx models are currently far overpriced, so if the A5xx can push them down that will restore balance in the force.

Even with main sensor LV, I think the low resolution screen is a disappointment, but I guess they want to keep the higher res screen for the actual A7xx later on, which I now guess might have even higher fps and might even take a shot at D300?

As for when - I have to say I've lost track of the supposed press events that might or might not be happening worldwide. Seems to be a bunch this week and another next week, but we'll know soon... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:50 pm 
Well, this looks to be a little different from my prediction (A700 with a new nametag), but some of my guesses seem to have been right.

Positives:

12.3MP CMOS - I assume this is either the A700 or D90 sensor. Either way I'm happy, as from what I've seen they both have rather good high ISO performance, at least compared to my A200

Main Sensor LV - very pleased about this. Not sure how much I'd use it, but I can see it being very useful for macro, which I do occasionally.

5fps - as well as being very useful, this could signify that this camera is seen as more like the A700 than the 200/300/350, If you see what I mean. Another thing that would aid this distinction would be if the 500 has a pentaprism OVF, but the site makes no mention of the VF. Here's hoping.

Negatives:

SD/MS slot - while I suppose this is a positive to a certain extent, I just wish it could've been CF/SD - that way, I can keep my current CF card, and make use of the cheaper price of SD cards. Looking at MS prices, I am decided that there's no way in hell of me wasting money on any form of MS memory - it's ludicrously overpriced. However, if I do buy this camera, I can always buy an SD and keep my CF for a future upgrade, or use it in my A200 as a backup, or something.

230k dot LCD - not a huge deal, but apparently the A700's screen was really awesome, so it's a shame that it's got a lower res one.

9-point AF - this is kind of annoying. Apparently the A700's AF is a lot better than the 200/300/350, so this is a little annoying, though it does mention that it has a central double-cross sensor, and AFAIK the 200/300/350 just have a normal cross sensor, so there might be hope yet. Though, if this is a whole new AF module, does that mean that the 730 or whatever will share it? I sure hope not - I'm hoping for a 20+ point system for that camera, with lots of cross and doublecross sensors. Or dos the 230/330/380 use this same AF module?

Unknowns:

Viewfinder - this is fairly important. Ideally it would be pentaprism, and fairly big compared to my A200 (not necessarily that much bigger, but not smaller). What I definately don't want to see is a 3-series size viewfinder. I knew these were smaller than the A200's for quite a while, but it wasn't until I tried out an A330 in a shop that I discovered just how tiny it is - like peering down a tunnel. So, I really hope Sony have managed to keep the OVF as big as the A700 or at least A200 while adding fast AF LV.

Controls - we don't have any images of the rear of the camera, so we don't know what kind of controls this camera has. I'm personally hoping for A700-style, with lots of buttons, switches, knobs etc.

Video - The article doesn't mention video at all as far as i can see, which we can probably take to mean it's not there. However, they're getting their info from a "source", so they haven't actually tried it out yet, so it might turn out to have video after all. I would be quite interested in video for the purposes of filming wildlife - short clips of them doing some kind of action, along with still clips, could be very interesting. There's also always the possibility that the 550 will have video, where the 500 doesn't. We'll have to see.

A550 - as I said above, one possibility for the 550 is that it while include video, where the 500 lacks it. However, if the 300/350 pattern is to continue, then it's more likely that they will be seperated by resolution - my guess would be for the 550 to use a new 14-16MP CMOS sensor, which the A700 will share when it's eventually released (my guess is early 2010, either before or during PMA)

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the A500. The price looks great (roughly the same as what the A700 sells for now, after two years). It might not be everything I hoped (though the viewfinder and video capabilities remain to be seen), but it's still a solid camera.

Nice move, Sony :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 am 
Interesting...not necessarily true, but suggests an unveiling on August 28 for all Sony's new cameras.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/08/24/new-sony-alpha-dslrs-leak-out-115875-21621573/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:11 pm 
i am curious how the new exmor sensor cope with noise in high iso.
It looks like a challenger to Nikon D90

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 pm 
Its the same sensor as what the D90 is, at least, if its the same thats been in the A700 and D300... (the 12Mpix Cmos Exmor)