Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:16 am 

Morning all,

First post having just registered this morning so please be nice!

I have recently bought a Sony A200 with the 18-70mm lens kit.

Have also bought a nice 8gb San Disk CF card and the 'Digital Field Guide' which i was told was a must! Certainly the book seems to be pretty good at the moment.

I pick the camera up next week but had some questions regarding the AEB settings and doing HDR photography with the A200.

Is there any way of setting the AEB to take shots with +/- 2ev or do you have to manually take shots at -2 and then again at +2 to get the desired pictures for HDR??

Really looking forward to contributing more in the future....

Thanks,

Woza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:48 am 

Hi Woza! Welcome to Camera Labs! :)

I am planning to experiment a bit with HDR myself, this weekend. Having looked into it, I don't believe there's any way that we can set a bracketed exposure of [-2, 0, +2] on our cameras, without a fimware update (unlikely). We are limited to [-0.7, 0, +0.7]. :(

There are a couple of options available to us...both of which i'm going to play with to see which is more practical and produces the best results.

Either you can manual change to exposure for three shots (to -2, 0, +2) with aperture priority, or you can take two bracketed shots [-0.7, 0, +0.7], and manually set the exposure (as before) to say -1 and +1 for the two shots. Then, you'll end up with six shots at [-1.7, -1, -0.3, +0.3, +1. +1.7].

A tripod seems to be an absolute must though, given the fiddling about that is necessary between shots.

Sony DSLR a300 | Sony 18-70mm | Minolta 50mm f1.7 | Minolta 70-210mm f4 | Sony 70-300mm G SSM

Next: Selling Beercan, and perhaps get a Tripod / Flash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:31 pm 

Welcome Woza,

Another way to achieve HDR is by cheating in post processing. If you use Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop, you can make 3 different version of the same photo each with different EV and then merge them together to get the HDR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

We have a complete guide to HDR here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1961

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 pm 

Welcome to the Camera Labs forum!

I must admit I've never done HDR, and though my camera has the feature, I never use automatic bracketing. Other forum members will be able to help you out, I'm sure!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:18 pm 

alphaMikey wrote:
Hi Woza! Welcome to Camera Labs! :)

or you can take two bracketed shots [-0.7, 0, +0.7], and manually set the exposure (as before) to say -1 and +1 for the two shots. Then, you'll end up with six shots at [-1.7, -1, -0.3, +0.3, +1. +1.7].

A tripod seems to be an absolute must though, given the fiddling about that is necessary between shots.

This is the best way I have found to take decent HDRs, the 0.7 limit is really annoying and one of the major drawbacks of the camera for me. But I can get by using the method mikey mentioned.