Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:53 pm 
Hello,

First of all, I've never posted here, so I will introduce myself. my name is Clay and I am a poor college student who gets involved in expensive hobbies. A few weeks ago I got my first dlsr, an a200, from ebay with the kit lens and a minolta "beercan" 70-210 f4. I've been having a total blast and have taken some pictures that I would have never taken with my old camera. You can take a look at my work on flickr (sig).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with any of the available 50mm 1:1 macro lenses. On ebay I can find a sony, sigma, and minolta version, they are all 50mm f2.8. Question is how do they compare the the f1.7 primes for regular shooting, and does the focal length allow for enough working distance for taking macro shots.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:09 am 
The Minolta 50 2.8 is sharper at the same stop compared to the 50 1.7. As with macro lenses, their focusing speed is comparably slow, in the case, to the 50 1.7. As for working distance, it depends on your subject, but for most applications, it suits quite well. You may want to look into the Tamron 90 F2.8 1:1. That lens is quite good for it's price, largely the same as the Sony 50 2.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:03 pm 
Thanks for the response, Ive drooled a little over the tamron 90mm but $400 just isn't in my range atm. I think I'm going to keep looking on ebay for a deal on the minolta 50mm model.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 am 
ClayC wrote:
Hello,

First of all, I've never posted here, so I will introduce myself. my name is Clay and I am a poor college student who gets involved in expensive hobbies. A few weeks ago I got my first dlsr, an a200, from ebay with the kit lens and a minolta "beercan" 70-210 f4. I've been having a total blast and have taken some pictures that I would have never taken with my old camera. You can take a look at my work on flickr (sig).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with any of the available 50mm 1:1 macro lenses. On ebay I can find a sony, sigma, and minolta version, they are all 50mm f2.8. Question is how do they compare the the f1.7 primes for regular shooting, and does the focal length allow for enough working distance for taking macro shots.

Thanks!

I would if I was you because you're using the a200 get the 35mm lens.

The 50mm is a zoom lens on your camera and a nice standard lens would work so much better for macro shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:52 am 
Clay...exactly what Sublimity said.

50mm f/2.8 macro will still do 1:1, same as the 100mm f/2.8 macro. Its just that with the 50mm, you gotta be that much closer to your subject.

The potential problem of having to get close is that your subject may fly/hop/run away and perhaps, depending on where the sun is, getting your shadow out of the way. :wink:

Otherwise, the 50mm should be just as capable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:36 pm 
The advantages of using 50 mm over 100 mm macro lens is that you are less prone to camera shake. I've used my Minolta 50/2.8 quite a few times and never used a tripod to get sharp shots. Keep looking you might find a good deal on ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:22 pm 
Hmm interesting point I never considered camera shake. The a200 probably stabilizes the 50mm easier as well.