Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:42 pm 
I liked my Canon S2 except for the tiny screen and coarse viewfinder. I really wanted to like the S1 but she has an as bad viewfinder if you shoot 10 mp.
I really did not want to like the Sony HX1 since I do not do non standard (SD card) memory cards. That put me off to buy Sony, Olympus and all the others who wanted to cram XD cards down my throat.
Last week I thought give the HX1 a try. Since I could give her back with in a week (what I did with the SX10 because I did not see a big improvement compared to the S2 exept for the viewfinder and display but that alone was not the price of the SX10 worth).
I was most skeptical and the 36 Euro for a 8 GB memory stick really did not let us both off on a good start.
As I did when I got the SX10, I wrote down what I tested and why I liked or disliked a certain behavior or outcome.
When I did the in depth comparison between the SX1 and SX10 vs HX1, things that most reviews do not mention or just briefly scratch, I found out how bad you can design a camera and how simple you can do things for the user.

Did I return the HX1 also because she was so bad?
You are welcome to see for yourself.

http://sony-hx1.blogspot.com/2009/08/sm ... -sx10.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:26 pm 
Gran Canaria - I agree that the "rotating ring" on the SX10 could be better, but you do tend to get used to it. I've read that they can vary on individual cameras - mine is awkward in the actual movement, but quite functional. Maybe the SX11 will have a click-increment dial...

> However, when comparing the SX10 with the HX-1 - that is (on today's Australian prices) - comparing a $586.00 (US$470.00) SX10 with a $957.00 (US$765.00) camera. That's over 60% more for the HX-1. Perhaps over $350.00 more does allow for a bit more detail and refinement in the controls...!

> Being a bit more realistic - imagine an SX10 - but with $350.00 more in controls-refinements, etc - and compare that with the current HX-1....

> I do hope that the click-increment dial on the SX11 doesn't come with a $350.00 price increase... :D

> Didn't mention the SX1 - on the Australian price for that - a mere $829.00 (US$665.00) - for $10.00 less you can get a Pentax KM/K2000 with Sigma 18-50 - or for $27.00 more - you could have an Olympus E-420 Komachi pack with lens.

> So, don't know about where you are - but Bridge / Prosumer cameras are getting to be silly prices in Sydney... The SX10 increased in price from $519.00 to $586.00 in the few months as I was saving up for it.

> Perhaps the makers - all Brands - are trying to drive even we hobbyists out of the P&S / Bridge levels and into DSLRs.

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:49 pm 
Actually, the list price of the HX1 is $499 at SonyStyle USA. On Amazon it is selling for ~$419 while the SX10 is $356, so a much smaller price difference (The SX1IS is 546).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:27 am 
Dr4gon - I'm quoting you the site displayed prices at Digital Camera Warehouse, Sydney - where I bought my SX10 last month.

Actually, the SX10 costs 50% more here in USDs than it does in the US. But the wide HX-1 price difference does exist here, though it's too new for the price to have started going up, yet.

For comparison the AUS$ is US$0.83 today.

Ref: > www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/category26_1.htm <

Regards, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:18 pm 
sometimes regional prices are rediculos, I agree.
But please compare the SX1 and HX1 price and then it should look different. Since I wanted full HD in my next superzoom the SX10 was no alternative.
But with this much between the SX10 and HX1 that is nuts.