Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:16 am 
hi guys!!

ive been waiting for this lens for quite a while now..been going to the shops almost every month just to see if the lens is in store..today is was!! so i bought it straight away!! woohoo!!

some preview shots later, alright!! off to play with my new lens!!

see yah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:14 am 
Primes are good fun. Enjoy yours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:51 am 
yeah! its really fun! i luv the wide aperture...really nice..hehe still cant stop smiling from leaving the shop! hahah!!

but i have a question though..is it normal that the focusing is pretty loud? i have a friend that has a nikon 50mm and he says that its normal..is this true??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:14 am 
Nice lens!

My Nikkor 50mm is louder than my SWM lenses and marginally louder than my friend's non-SWM 18-55. Your 50mm shouldn't be much louder than the non-SSM Sony lenses and if there's a slight difference you could probably put it down to the AF system being slightly less refined as it's a cheaper lens but if it's significantly louder, I would check with Sony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 am 
Best way to be sure is head down to your nearest Sony shop and put their demo 50mm f/1.8 onto your camera and compare.

I've a Sony 50mm f/1.4 and i don't find that to be loud at all. Of course there's some noise compared to the SSMs but not loud at all.

Of the Sony lenses that i have, i find that the 100mm f/2.8 macro is the loudest.

Have fun with your new lens. The 50mm is my fav lens. Its light, its fast and its fun to shoot wide open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:55 am 
thanks for the replies guys..i tried on my kit lens and compared it to the 50mm that i have..n i noticed that its not that loud..but i will try to drop in the camera store again later when i have time to check on it again..=) thanks again guys!

n here are some pictures that i shot just now..sorry for the post processing though..im an editing freak! hahaha!!

thanks again guys!! really appreciate it..=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:01 am 

Make sure you post up some shots with your new lens. I'm pretty interested in seeing in what they come out like and what sort of shots it can achieve. Very interested in getting this lens for myself at some point.

EDIT: You beat me to it, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:04 am 
Some pretty nice pictures. Ass well on your Flickr ;) :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 am 

Congratulations! Enjoy the wonderful new experiences of a prime lens! It really is great to work with.

I am comparing the focussing noise to the 24-70mm and 70-200mm, which are super-quiet, but to me, the 50mm f/1.4 makes quite a lot of noise. Haven't tried the 50mm f/1.8 on my camera though, just held it (it weighs nothing, then again... comparison).

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:52 am 
PhilDiggle - yeah! sorry to be a lil late on the pics..=)

cartong - Thanks!

Bjorn - Thanks for the info..maybe i should check it with Sony..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:34 am 
Bjorn, thats just because the 50mm 1.4 uses the build-in screw-motor from your camera body. But yeah SSM rocks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:47 am 

cartong wrote:
Bjorn, thats just because the 50mm 1.4 uses the build-in screw-motor from your camera body.

I know. :)

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux