Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 pm 
Hello there,

I as many of you out there own Sony's 50F1.4 lens which I love and think its a really excellent lens. Its sharp and QI. I use it for semi macro, landscape & portrait (whether there is lost of light or not). Earlier today I thought to myself that its time to try it in low light conditions + fast action, so I started taking pics of my 2 lovely kids running indoors with no lights on and window facing north. I have to say not the best results but for sure not bad at all. I am sure I am going to get it to work , all I need is good practice. Anyone tried to use this lens in the above conditions? :twisted: [/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:13 pm 

It might be as bright a lens as you're going to get at a reasonable price, but it doesn't do miracles. You still need "enough" light. With typical indoor lighting I still find myself using flash.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm 

I have shot lots of indoor portraits with very little available light, which look great, but my subjects weren't running around and I had to raise the ISO to 3200. Available darkness might have been a better term, I know. Imagine the light you have to work with when shooting ISO3200, f/1.4 and about 1/15th... Only works with a fast lens like the 50mm.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:57 am 
The reputable "low light" lenses like this one doesn't operate on it's own in low light really. Either boost that ISO, or get a flash. They should be called "relatively low light". It's quite misleading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:50 am 
On my 50mm f/1.7, I can get pretty reasonably fast indoor shots at even ISO 800-1600. Unless its especially dark indoors, I dont find it much problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:33 am 
I think we need to be realistic about what low light lenses can achieve. Keep in mind that they're low light and not night vision lenses. In addition to that, remember that our eyes' response to light is dramatically nonlinear and this allows us to operate in really low/bright light while the camera's response to light is linear.

If you're shooting at ISO 3200, f1.4 and 1/15 seconds then you're talking about some really really low light. Be prepared to use the flash with these lenses but remember that they open up photo opportunities opportunities. Imagine shooting the previous scenario with a f5.6 standard lens which would require ISO 51200 to match the shutter speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:46 pm 
Why does everybody stay at 3200? If you have the A700, the world is your oyster for high ISO.

That's ISO5000, with 0.7 exposure bias, at f2, 1/50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:02 pm 
And also, I don't really understand the original question. I like 50mm on a crop sensor because it's close to eye focal length. I know exactly how to frame a shot before looking at the viewfinder with a 50mm on an a700, which means i can think less about the gear and more about the composition, which is what i want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:19 pm 
vpell wrote:
And also, I don't really understand the original question. I like 50mm on a crop sensor because it's close to eye focal length. I know exactly how to frame a shot before looking at the viewfinder with a 50mm on an a700, which means i can think less about the gear and more about the composition, which is what i want.

a 35mm on a aps-c sensor is more eye seeing
35x 1,5 = 52,5mm ff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:50 pm 
cartong wrote:
vpell wrote:

35x 1,5 = 52,5mm ff

My question involved low light with fast action photographs taken by SOny 50F1.4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:04 pm 
cartong wrote:
vpell wrote:

35x 1,5 = 52,5mm ff

Nah, put up a zoom to one eye, and keep the other open, they'll be the same at about 70-75. which is exactly where a 50mm lies on a crop sensor. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:06 pm 
ArchitectFadi wrote:
cartong wrote:
vpell wrote:

35x 1,5 = 52,5mm ff

My question involved low light with fast action photographs taken by SOny 50F1.4?
Yes, 50mm 1.4 is fast glass, 1.4 is the fastest glass available on Alpha, unless you mod a MF 1.2 minolta lens on there.

Is that all you were wondering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:42 pm 
vpell wrote:
cartong wrote:
vpell wrote:

35x 1,5 = 52,5mm ff

Nah, put up a zoom to one eye, and keep the other open, they'll be the same at about 70-75. which is exactly where a 50mm lies on a crop sensor. :)

and your viewfinder is 1x yeah right xD ;)

Quote:
50mm approximates how the human eye sees. In other words, our eyes have a focal length of about 50mm.
http://www.hash.com/users/jsherwood/tutes/focal/focal.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:12 pm 
cartong wrote:
vpell wrote:
cartong wrote:
vpell wrote:

35x 1,5 = 52,5mm ff

Quote:
50mm approximates how the human eye sees. In other words, our eyes have a focal length of about 50mm.

lol, i'm serious, try it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:44 pm 
vpell wrote:
cartong wrote:
vpell wrote:
cartong wrote:
vpell wrote:

35x 1,5 = 52,5mm ff

Quote:

lol, i'm serious, try it. :)

I know :p but your viewfinder can't show 100%, it's also got a "crop-factor" so were back on the 50mm ;)
now let's get back o.t. ;)