Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:34 pm 

pgtips wrote:
I'm not sure that an 85mm prime will be that beneficial, especially when you have the 70-200mm f2.8.

That was my initial thought too, but I changed my mind. I love shooting portraits, and the 50mm f/1.4 is not quite long enough for me, especially not once I go full frame. So I'd like something longer, with a large aperture for shooting in 'available darkness'. The 85mm has always been high on my wishlist, but only since I've been out shooting with just the 50mm, I think I'd really like the 85mm. Shooting with a collection of prime lenses really appeals to me, and the 85mm cannot be missed in that collection.

Yes Lah, a 500mm f/4 G SSM. It was said to be an f/4.5 first, but I've heard from reliable sources it's an f/4. Considering the absurd price of Sony's 300mm f/2.8, the 500mm f/4 can only be afforded by those lucky enough to have a good job, a lifetime worth of savings, or a winning ticket in the lottery. Oh well... one day... :roll:

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:48 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
pgtips wrote:
I'm not sure that an 85mm prime will be that beneficial, especially when you have the 70-200mm f2.8.

That was my initial thought too, but I changed my mind. I love shooting portraits, and the 50mm f/1.4 is not quite long enough for me, especially not once I go full frame. So I'd like something longer, with a large aperture for shooting in 'available darkness'. The 85mm has always been high on my wishlist, but only since I've been out shooting with just the 50mm, I think I'd really like the 85mm. Shooting with a collection of prime lenses really appeals to me, and the 85mm cannot be missed in that collection.

Yes Lah, a 500mm f/4 G SSM. It was said to be an f/4.5 first, but I've heard from reliable sources it's an f/4. Considering the absurd price of Sony's 300mm f/2.8, the 500mm f/4 can only be afforded by those lucky enough to have a good job, a lifetime worth of savings, or a winning ticket in the lottery. Oh well... one day... :roll:

- Bjorn -

'Available darkness' Bwahaha :lol: :P I think you mean, when shooting in 'available light' :wink: And it's not just about the larger aperture for low light, it's about the thinner DOF as well. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:40 pm 

Exactly, the depth of field at f/1.4 and 85mm is great to work with.
'Available darkness' is a reference to a What Digital Camera video on YouTube, from an interview about the Nikon D3. The Nikon rep said the camera shoots in available darkness with it's extreme ISO range and good noise performance.
Let's not go into that though, way off topic. How are you liking the 70-200mm so far Joey?

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Exactly, the depth of field at f/1.4 and 85mm is great to work with.
'Available darkness' is a reference to a What Digital Camera video on YouTube, from an interview about the Nikon D3. The Nikon rep said the camera shoots in available darkness with it's extreme ISO range and good noise performance.
Let's not go into that though, way off topic. How are you liking the 70-200mm so far Joey?

- Bjorn -

I didn't realise you had such an excellent grasp of how thin the dof is given your extensive use of Full frame DSLR's and the 85 1.4. Must really be great to work with eh :wink:

LOL. I'll take your word for it, even though 'available darkness' doesn't actually make sense. :wink:

Back on topic it is then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:13 pm 
@Bjorn haha sorry for the late reply!!
This lens is awesome.....build quality weight are similar to that of nikon's newest 70-200m !! :lol: it's true! (i tried one from a wedding photog)

how's the lens handling.....hmmm i hope the pics that i took are worth a thousand words ?
:wink: :lol: :lol:

Lol ..shocking to see that your wishlist has changed indefinitely.!
though i'm still pondering on whether i should get the A900 or the CZ 85mm.
there are lots of rumours and hints that may suggest that CZ are revising the 85mm and the 135mm ..addition of ssm probably. or ED glasses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm 

Gregory.Rotter wrote:
... even though 'available darkness' doesn't actually make sense. :wink:

It doesn't, I agree. :)

Perhaps we'll see an updated 85mm at the next announcement. If not, I'll probably get the 85mm anyway.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:49 pm 
Congrats Joey!