Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:32 pm 
Hello everyone
This is my first post in this forum and hope you will be able to help me?
I have recently bought Sony 70-300 G from Jessops and as I was examining it back home I noticed that there was a rattling sound but only in certain shakes. So i took it back and got another one but still the same issue.

I am not sure whether its a normal sound (caused by the aperture's blade hitting each other) or its a second lens with a similar problem.

I have checked my other lenses ( Sony 18-70, Minolta 70-210, Sony 5014) but no similar sound.

Anyone has got an idea? especially if you already own the Sony 70-300 G.

Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:41 pm 

Welcome to the Camera Labs forum ArchitectFadi!

There's a couple of 70-300mm G users around here, so they could tell you whether the sound is a problem or not. Aperture blades aren't supposed to make noise though, so I'm guessing it's a problem. You might also want to contact Sony about it.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:33 pm 
Thanks Bjorn

That is what I thought. It is just that 2 quality lenses bought brand new from the same store with the same sound. (It confused me).

I will contact sony and see what they say.

Hopefully some of the 70-30 G users can clear this issue as well.

Many thanks

Architectfadi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:14 pm 
Just shook my lens around a bit and heard nothing, maybe you got those 2 lenses out of a faulty batch or something, nevertheless congratulations on a great lens. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:39 pm 
I just shook my 70-300 G (bought today...from Jessops) around, and did indeed hear a little tinny rattle. It sounds like thin bits of metal (aperture blades?) tapping each other.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if I have in fact received your first 'returned' lens - which would be frustrating as I specifically asked for a brand new lens, unopened box etc etc.

When you contact Sony, please do let us know what they said!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:55 pm 

Mikey, a quick question: did the box have a piece of Sony-labelled tape over the part that opens it, and was that intact. That should mean you got a new lens, instead of a returned one.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 pm 
Well my first lens was bought from Jessops Brighton. When the guy brought it out the seal seem to be old, I have asked if it was brand new and he assured me it was. Took it back home and that was when i heard that rattling noise. The second lens was ordered from Jessops online and arrived from Nottingham. The seal was in brand new condition and I was 100% sure that it was brand new but I could still hear the same rattling noise.

I am going to contact Jessops tomorrow as well as Sony and I guess I will be replacing it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:33 pm 

Sony's the first company to contact now. Ask them If they've gotten similar complaints before and whether it's a problem most lenses have. Cause if most 70-300mm make that noise, you might need a lot of replacements.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:44 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Mikey, a quick question: did the box have a piece of Sony-labelled tape over the part that opens it, and was that intact. That should mean you got a new lens, instead of a returned one.

- Bjorn -

Yep, it had that tape on, so I guess it must be brand new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:50 pm 

While I can't comment specifically on the 70-300G, as a generalisation, some lenses do rattle a little if shaken. So as the old advice goes "don't do it then!".

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:08 pm 
I am worried that I am causing a bit of confusion. When one shakes a lens of course one will hear some noise but the rattling that I am hearing is like a tiny piece of metal stuck inside and keeps on hitting the surfaces inside as you shake the lens. I am worried that its a screw out of its place. (My cheap kit lens does not make that noise at all!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:41 am 
Sony confirmed this morning that this rattling noise is a fault and they have assured me that it shouldn t be happening. I phoned Jessops and in a rude way asked me to return it which I will be doing on Saturday morning. I m starting to think that they have got a promotion on this lens because they have only got faulty ones. But again I could be third time lucky ;D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:49 am 

I hope your next lens is gonna be a good sample. :)

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:58 pm 
Quick update...
I went back to Jessops to return the lens. Did not get a nice reception as if I ve done something wrong. The guy there was trying to convince me that there was nothing wrong with the lens so he went and shook all the sony display lenses but with no luck then he moved on to the canon ones (made me laugh even though i was getting upset). Cut a long story short, I have returned the lens and ended up buying another lens on my list from Park Cameras. Now I own my first and hopefully not last Carl Zeiss Lens 16-80 :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:05 pm 

Too bad it didn't work out with the 70-300G. You can't go wrong with the 16-80 however, so, congrats anyway.

Let's hope the 70-300G I ordered this weekend is rattle-free ;)