Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SONY Magnifying Eyepiece
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:59 am 
here's a link for the new magnifying eyepiece for sony alphas that is compatible for A700, A380, A350, A330, A300, A230, A200, and the A100, with a magnification of 1.15x. for 35$ and for the benefits especially for the A700, this is a steal.

http://www.alphamountworld.com/product- ... uct-report

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:12 pm 

Seemed like a must have at first, but then I read it doesn't allow Eye Start AF (not too bad) and it won't allow you to have the screen turn itself off automatically. While I've been using my camera with the screen turned off more and more lately (using info in the viewfinder), I wouldn't want to use the display button every time to turn the screen on and off.

And I'm getting the A900 next, which has the most incredible viewfinder.

So thank you, but no, thank you.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:51 pm 
so your planing to use your a 700 as a backup?

the a700 zooms closer than the a900 it kind of handy for a long shooter like you.. Bjorn

and for that Eye Piece i kinda like it but its realy expensive for that small rubber! :wink: and the eyesstart is what i like with my camera.... so I will not get it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:14 pm 

lomer18 wrote:
so your planing to use your a 700 as a backup?

the a700 zooms closer than the a900 it kind of handy for a long shooter like you.. Bjorn

[offtopic]Yeah, the A700 will serve as a backup and second body. I'd probably use the Zeiss 24-70mm on the A900 and the 70-200mm on the A700 for events etc. I'm definitely keeping it, I couldn't miss the 300mm equivalent.[/offtopic]

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:32 pm 
Not THIS is exactly what I need!

No more squinting at my A300's miniscule OVF!

AlphaMountWorld updated their review, saying that that the AF eyestart DOES work with this under certain conditions.

Nevertheless, this is a true must have accessory for my A300!I can't wait to get one myself and try it out! If it works as advertised, I'm not going to upgrade my body for while! WOOT!

Thanks a lot Sony!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:31 pm 

brouken wrote:
AlphaMountWorld updated their review, saying that that the AF eyestart DOES work with this under certain conditions.

The Sony manualstates:

Quote:
When shooting with this unit attached, you cannot use the Eye-Start AF function of the camera. When using this unit, turn off "Eye-Start AF" and "Auto off w/VF".

So...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:15 pm 
From Carl of AlphaMountWorld:

Due to some concern about the eyepiece being compatible with AF eyestart, please note the following: The instructions ask that you disable AF eyestart when installing this product, because it will not work. However, having actually tested the product on 4 different cameras I found the opposite to be true. The AF eyestart function will work still, however your eye will need to be up against the eyecup as in a normal shooting position.

To know if the sensors are actually picking up the proximity of your face, set the LCD screen to auto/off w/viewfinder. That way when the LCD goes black as you press your eye to the eyecup, you will know it has detected your presence, and AF eyestart is working (also the AF will engage automatically, which will also clarify it functioning).

I guess I'll just have to get one to try it out for myself. Its still a must buy for me though. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:23 pm 

Probably best indeed to have a go with the magnifier yourself...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:28 pm 

Experiences seem to vary with the eye-start sensor (see the comments on Carl's article). I'm sure Sony took the safe way by specifically declaring the eye-piece incompatible with the sensor function. It's not a big investment so perhaps I'll give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:40 pm 
Yep, this is totally mine. Absolutely. This will satisfy my craving for a larger OVF for a little while longer.

The a200 had a default magnification of .83x? I regret getting the a300.

The first week I got my camera, I disabled the eye-start AF. Not only does it waste power, it wastes power! But I would like the auto-off screen when shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:38 pm 
As bjorn points out, the big problem with this is the LCD turnoff. I dont care one or two bits about eye-start AF, but that LCD if it remains on at all times would suck the battery pretty dang quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:35 am 

Was it worth it? I think so. The view is noticeably bigger which is worth it's steep price. $50CDN.
As to LCD auto-off, it doesn't work anymore when you press your face to the OVF, but the LCD turns off after 1 more second, so you don't really waste any more battery than before.

It's a good purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 am 

Enjoy it Sublimity! :)

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:36 pm 
just checked for these ones yesterday.
The magnification from 1.15 seems a bit tiny to me, but so seems the eyepiece. At least you don´t have something huge sticking out like these:
but then these are 2.5 X and would go great with my long nose so no more nose bending.

how big is the difference actually and is the original a 1x or a negative magnification?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:17 am 
Gran, the 2.3x magnifiers are for macro work and similar applications. Those eyepieces only magnify the center area of the viewfinder, and you won't be able to see the entirety of the viewfinder due to extreme vignetting.

Currently, there are only a few good magnifiers on the market for Sony, one being the Pentax, Tenpa, and the Sony one. There are many unsatisfied users of the first two, so at the moment, the most foolproof would be the Sony at 1.15x