Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:06 am 

Thanks Sonny!

I got the lens on the 18th of Februari 2008, and sold the lens not to long ago, so it was about a year and four months old, I guess.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:04 pm 
great lens !!

how it compare with the 16-80 ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:04 pm 

It's heavier, bigger, brighter, faster, more quiet, more expensive, much better built, sharper, doesn't suffer from flare and chromatic abberation as much as it's little brother. But, as said, it comes at a price...

I love it though, happy I did the upgrade.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:47 am 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
It's heavier, bigger, brighter, faster, more quiet, more expensive, much better built, sharper, doesn't suffer from flare and chromatic abberation as much as it's little brother.

Ouch. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:23 am 
brouken wrote:
It's heavier, bigger, brighter, faster, more quiet, more expensive, much better built, sharper, doesn't suffer from flare and chromatic abberation as much as it's little brother.

so if I'll have an extra bucks should we disregard the 16-80 and go to that? for an upgrade? IF WE CAN AFFORD IT? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:46 pm 
lomer18 wrote:
brouken wrote:

so if I'll have an extra bucks should we disregard the 16-80 and go to that? for an upgrade? IF WE CAN AFFORD IT? :wink:

If you can afford the 24-70, I'd go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:23 pm 

16-80 advantages - smaller, cheaper, lighter, and most importantly, bigger zoom range :) As such, it covers a slightly different role than the 24-70 and needs to be considered as such.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:43 pm 
popo wrote:
16-80 advantages - smaller, cheaper, lighter, and most importantly, bigger zoom range :) As such, it covers a slightly different role than the 24-70 and needs to be considered as such.

Nice come back lol. :D

Amazing lens bjorn.

Hopefully one day I might get one of these myself.

Once I have justified why I have to spend all my work money on one to my parents. :D

Mal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:19 pm 

If you're considerin upgrading to a full frame camera, the Zeiss 24-70mm is the right option. If you think you'll stay with APS-C for the rest of your life, the Zeiss 16-80mm might be a more convenient option. Not better, but perhaps more useful.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:56 pm 

Even if I went Sony FF, I'd probably keep the 16-80 for use on 2nd body. You can always resell the 16-80 later for a small loss if needed.

Definitely the 24-70 will be on my shopping list if I go Sony FF. Now where's the A850...? :D

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:24 pm 
The 16-80 may live up marginally up to its Zeiss reputation, but many are put off by it's price to ability ratio. Another thing is that it's not very fast. When looking for a wide to standard walkaround, the first thing then mentioned is the Tamron 17-50 and then Tamron 28-75. The 16-80 is simply too costly to live up to it's name and while not being trumped, it has it's ability matched similarly by above mentioned lenses (not to mention they are faster at F2.8 ).

So personally, not a very worthy choice looking at the wide range. I would get the Tamron 17-50 until I can move to the CZ24-70. The 16-80 is simply not worth the money for its lack of benefits. Perhaps it's for fat-wallet-fairweathered guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:49 am 
Hello all! This thread pretty much started it all for me. By that i mean that I've only recently discovered this forum after searching for reviews for the 24-70 Zeiss after trying one out at my local Sony Style shops here in Singapore. Like most, my first and most immediate impression was "Wow, heavy!" haha

I pretty much have the 24-70 focal range covered but being so inspired by the chaps here (Bjorn being the main culprit), I put up a WTB ad on the local photog forum here and got a couple of hits.

Within 2 weeks of the ad, i was the proud owner of a Carl Zeiss 24-70.

Soon after though, within the same month, i somehow got it into my head that the Zeiss 85 f/1.4 would be a must have...seeing how i tend to shoot more portraits than anything at the moment. Of course i rationalised that Zeiss lenses would be an investment that would hold its value so the real cost is perhaps 20-30% of the brand new price. Plus if i bought used, i may not lose out if i ended up selling it down the road.

So there you go...proud owner of a used but mint condition 85mm f/1.4 Zeiss! Been so excited with this purchase i hadn't even looked at the original receipt yet. Previous owner claimed that the lens is 2 months old and used by him twice only. Didn't really matter to me though seeing how the lens looked mint and was sharp (as far as i could tell using a few test shots on the spot).

I don't really shoot long but if i did, i'd once again have to blame Bjorn for his influence on me potentially getting the 70-200G. haha

With Zeiss fever,
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 am 

Another warm welcome Doug (welcomed you in your Howdy post as well :) ). How great to hear I was able to contribute to your Zeiss 24-70mm purchase. You should also thank Joey, since he inspired me to get it.

Even if you aren't a long shooter, a 70-200mm is a must have for any photographer. It's the best lens for me, and I promise it will be a great lens for you too! Hope you can tell me the same about the Zeiss 85mm. After the A900, that's the first item on my wishlist, and I hope to get it sometime next year.

Anyway, enjoy your great gear, shoot lots of photos and share some with us! :)

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:49 am 
Sublimity wrote:
The 16-80 is simply not worth the money for its lack of benefits. Perhaps it's for fat-wallet-fairweathered guys.

I'm REALLY tempted to take offense at this.

But seeing as how Sublimity has been sublimely caustic in most of his remarks, I'll take it as a compliment instead. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:01 pm 

It's about time to post some photos taken with the lens, so here's a bunch. Not my best, but hey, it will keep you guys (Ryan...) satisfied:

- Bjorn -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next