Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:23 pm 
Just seen the A230 on one site for pre-order at £480. So there is already some discounting at launch, but it's still a good £200 more than the A200 is retailing at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:09 am 
hey gordon, when are you going to preview the A230 ??

Im really interested in that camera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:32 am 
Oh dear, poor sony :(

Canon and Nikon are throwing entry-level cameras with an amazing image quality and feature set on the market and what's sony's reaction? Yay, a P&S hidden in a DSLR case. I mean why would anybody buy a DSLR if he/she was NOT interested in learning more about photography in the first place? I can't understand that approach to do DSLRs for dummies. For me, the gap between Sony and Canon/Nikon just got a lot bigger again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:21 am 

Look at all the scene modes on the dial of all the entry DSLRs. DSLRs have always catered for the not so technical minded. At first glance Canon even did this before Sony with the CA mode.

It's clear they're taking a different route from the big two. Put aside the launch cost as that will surely drop, they will find their place at the low end and will no doubt shift a lot there.

The just leaked A500 and A550 will likely be the higher entry level to compete on feature with the likes of the 500D/D50/D5000.

I have wondered how the DSLR players would compete with micro FourThirds, and small/cheap DSLRs is probably the best way without abandoning the existing lens formats.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:41 pm 
Nostrum wrote:
Oh dear, poor sony :(

Canon and Nikon are throwing entry-level cameras with an amazing image quality and feature set on the market and what's sony's reaction? Yay, a P&S hidden in a DSLR case. I mean why would anybody buy a DSLR if he/she was NOT interested in learning more about photography in the first place? I can't understand that approach to do DSLRs for dummies. For me, the gap between Sony and Canon/Nikon just got a lot bigger again.

So you've seen the lab results from the new Sony's enough to know they aren't producing good IQ? Or are you just making a cursory assumption?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:41 pm 
No, of course not. But Sony's IQ has never been very impressive compared to the competition.. in high ISOs anyway. And as they decided to stick with CCD sensors and the same resolution, I very much doubt it's gonna be a big, positive surprise.

And yes, sure it was an exaggeration to say it's a P&S in a DSLR case. But looking at them, there's a certain tendency to that and I fear they simply won't stand a chance against Nikon or Canon, who have really improved their entry-levels. I mean just look at Nikon's new D5000: A very advanced AF system, high ISO performance that will probably beat most semi-pro models, video mode. Sony on the other hand releases 3 new cameras, which are no big improvement (on the first sight anyway) but offer an interface for dummies - just look at the aperture/shutter speed graphics, they can't be serious can they?

And the ergonomics are looking horrible as well to be honest, which is probably even worse than the fact that they didn't put a video mode, nor a high res screen, nor a better AF system, nor a higher resolution/better sensor (yes, that's an assumption) in their new cameras. And while the A2XX might be very affordable and certainly find an audience, I simply cannot find ANY reason why anybody would buy a 330/380 over a probably similarly priced D5000/500D

ah well, I guess I'm just too narrow-minded to see the point of the new alphas :?

Last edited by Nostrum on Mon May 25, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:48 pm 

Sony are pushing lower than the big two, with the just leaked A5xx likely taking the upper end entry level.

There is talk that the processing has been improved. I suspect this is for the camera jpeg which is a historic weak point, and I think that will be enough to bring them into the same ball park at least.

It may not make advanced photographer sense, but it does makes a kind of business sense.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:04 pm 
Quote:
there's a certain tendency to that and I fear they simply won't stand a chance against Nikon or Canon

You fear that? What skin is it off your back, you aren't even tied to the system? And it sure doesn't sound like you 'fear' that, sounds more like you're jumping to conclusions very prematurely.

I would still take an A700 over the D5000/500D any day, which is similarly priced anyway.

Many lab comparisons haven't been fair to the Sony bodies just because they've often compared with that *awful* sony 18-70 kit lens, which certainly never was a fair comparison against Canons 18-55mm kit. I am excited to see how the new 18-55 sony handles, which so far looks to not only be a significant improvement, but an all around decent lens too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:10 pm 

Anbesol wrote:
I would still take an A700 over the D5000/500D any day, which is similarly priced anyway.

You would, and many with you. However, keep in mind that you're not the one selling the cameras. Salesmen will look at features to sell the cameras, even if that's a bad habit. They'll say: "The D5000 has video recording and live view, A700 has neither of those".
And while the A700 and these new bodies have a lot to offer, and might be better than the the Canikon competition in many ways, they do lack certain features that will push potential customers away from Sony. This issue may be solved with the introduction of the A5x0 though...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:15 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Salesmen will look at features to sell the cameras, even if that's a bad habit. They'll say: "The D5000 has video recording and live view, A700 has neither of those".

Well I did sell cameras for many years when I worked for Canon's marketting team.

That may be, but they see all the on the fly-switches of the A700, the better build and ergonomics, the brighter viewfinder, in addition to its compatibility with legacy lens unlike the Nikons AF-S lens selection only, and I don't think that the gimmicky 'hd-video and live view' will really bring a whole lot of people over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:32 pm 
Nostrum wrote:
No, of course not. But Sony's IQ has never been very impressive compared to the competition.. in high ISOs anyway. And as they decided to stick with CCD sensors and the same resolution, I very much doubt it's gonna be a big, positive surprise.

And yes, sure it was an exaggeration to say it's a P&S in a DSLR case. But looking at them, there's a certain tendency to that and I fear they simply won't stand a chance against Nikon or Canon, who have really improved their entry-levels. I mean just look at Nikon's new D5000: A very advanced AF system, high ISO performance that will probably beat most semi-pro models, video mode. Sony on the other hand releases 3 new cameras, which are no big improvement (on the first sight anyway) but offer an interface for dummies - just look at the aperture/shutter speed graphics, they can't be serious can they?

And the ergonomics are looking horrible as well to be honest, which is probably even worse than the fact that they didn't put a video mode, nor a high res screen, nor a better AF system, nor a higher resolution/better sensor (yes, that's an assumption) in their new cameras. And while the A2XX might be very affordable and certainly find an audience, I simply cannot find ANY reason why anybody would buy a 330/380 over a probably similarly priced D5000/500D

ah well, I guess I'm just too narrow-minded to see the point of the new alphas :?

price

for me is that

the A230 is just 550$ at lauch (the A200 was 700 at launch and now the price is 500)

maybe in a couple of months the price of the A230 will drop 425$ or less (usa prices)

for low budget consumers like me its great and finally an oportunnity to enter the SLR world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:52 am 
Nostrum wrote:

Yes.... it really sound you are! :D you have gone too far with your own system. as sony knows the market boost in dslr they will probably sell more than canikon, (more features more $$$) thats the reality........ people arround just buy any thing that are affordable w/o knowig the down side (look man i have sony's new dslr the new release!!!) Gadget freaks there are too many here in the Philippines.

i believe canicon is the best yes! in the top of the the wold of photography(if you know what photography really is.). Now What should i do with the Mrk III if i am beginner? or just being feel cool...

if you ask a newbie what they want feature in a camera More MP much better....... :evil: made me think bad they are wastin their money.. but to tell you sony sells more because of that strategy........

FAMOUS!!! SONY tsktsktsk not only in photography....... :wink:

am i narrow minded to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:59 am 
Oh! i addition those three are sticking to be entry level... entry price so lets wait until Sony talks about semi Pro! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 am 
I am still quite happy with my A300, and dont see the point of the downgrades in the newly released models.

I also have no problems with the 18-70 and 75-300 lenses which are sufficient for my (non-pro) use.

Adding the more expensive lenses will serve me well rather than upgrade the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:08 pm 
popo wrote:
Sony are pushing lower than the big two, with the just leaked A5xx likely taking the upper end entry level.

I don't think so. The MSRP of the A380 is level with that of the Canon and the Nikon so it's unlikely that the A5xx will be competing with the 500d or D5000. It's more likely to go up against the 50d and the D90 where again, it's going to come up short. On paper at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next