Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:16 pm 
Okay graham, you are correct! The first is the olympus E-520, and the second is the Canon XSI. You sure you didn't cheat?? :o

And yes it is a bummer that the Nikons oversaturated, probably an intentional design for the laymen consumer who, generally speaking, prefer unnaturally oversaturated colors4. Of course the D5000 has the edge on noise performance, its a CMOS (Sony's incredible CMOS). I compared the A200 with Nikons D60, but I still wouldn't in a million years get the D5000 simply for the lack of internal AF motor, as otherwise tempting as that tilt/swivel live view CMOS body is.

SLR722 - ISO 3200 does not look better than 1600, not by a long shot. Maybe you mixed them up?

In any event Sony does have a tendency to include at least one extra ISO stop that is not neccesary, and tends to look terrible (ISO 6400 on the A700 is VERY unusable to me), and ISO 3200 on the consumer line. But, I guess its better to include it then to not have the option. Its still an extreme rarity for me to use anything higher than ISO 1250 (thanks Sony for including 1/3rd stop ISO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:45 am 
Nostrum wrote:
So just to confirm my assumptions: The grip is horrible (unlike the one of the a700 which was just next to it and had a great grip) - I mean seriously horrible

And we took some pictures at ISO 800 and well, guess what - tons of noise, easily visible even on the camera LCD. I can't imagine why anybody would waste money on that, sorry.

Oh dear' thats your personal thought you really is a pro! you should be 50% in the world of photography before you can suggest that...

not all people are cocerned in the grips what i just observed why a300/a350 is not available in here because they love the live view of that cam. (so P/S style of clickin?)
Nostrum wrote:
Oh and as I'm selling cameras myself, I definitely know what the low-end customer is asking of cameras. And most people who are looking into a DSLR, want the one with the highest image quality..

Have you ever encounter a pixel buster cutomer who insist that more pixel good quality??? there are lots of people that are narow minded here' they never listen with the one whos selling the camo they jus go and buy what they think cool (They think that a sales man/reprentative have bubbling mouth to sell more :wink: )
Nostrum wrote:
Movie mode is also very very faishonable at the moment.

A hundred percent 100% I AGREE! THERE!.... (So fast live view or movie mode?)

Nostrum wrote:
You bet I won't recommend the new sonys to anyone. Before you ask, no I'm not just selling Canons, only because I'm using one myself. In fact, I recently find myself recommending a lot of Nikons because I find their newest cameras with the excellent, cheap 18-105mm most suitable for the typical "prosumer".

thats personal again so to end up... I'm really biased in my post cause i use Sony but i hope in there Semi pro they will not thow the good body style in A700.........
(Good Jpeg PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>)

PEACE BE WITH YOU!!! Nostrum :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:40 pm 

I think the problem here that has some people disappointed is that there were no big improvements with this new line. The fact is, the new line isn't for those of us who already have the a200, a300, or a350. Nor are they meant to be considered by people who own an a700. I'm personally hoping that the new line is a huge success as it will benefit Sony users at all levels as Sony would surely invest even more into its entire line.

Would I have gone with an a330 if I were purchasing today? Probably not. I wouldn't be happy with the grip or the battery life. Lack of CF seems odd as well. But I can see how some of the options would appeal to first time DSLR buyers. The HDMI port is pretty cool. Would a pro want it? No. But they're not meant for pros.

My only complaint about the Sony line is that the three entry level units are all very similar and priced close to one another, but the leap to the a700 is rather large. I got my a300 last winter for $650 with two kit lenses, a carry case, and an extra battery. To get all of that with an a700 meant spending considerably more money. I'm hoping that a future a500 might fill that gap. Actually, I'm probably looking at the generation that follows that before I consider upgrading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:49 pm 
I find it strange that Sony is launching an 18-55mm lens after it already has a basic kit lens with longer maximum focal length and they promise to be "Like No Other".

At the same time, I am VERY EXCITED :D about the new compact flash as well as the 50mm f/1.8 and 30mm f/2.8 Macro. :D
I was wondering if Sony would field an equivalent to Canon's budget 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Last time, I would dismiss comments on the "uniqueness" of Sony Alpha DSLR looks (though I admit the A900 looks a little strange). Now, I would say their new cameras just look..weird.

Still, I hope the new accessories are affordable (especially for a student with an allowance like mine). Obviously, I do not intend to purchase their new camera bodies xD (nor their handbag carry-cases :!: )

Looking forward to the release dates,
SnS 8)

P.S.: Singapore's PC Show is next week (11-14 June) and I intend to get some peripherals there, though I don't know if Sony Alpha would release their new products here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 pm 
Anbesol wrote:
I'm also curious - you are certain there is a noticable difference between the noise performance of the Sonys and the competition, so can you peg which of those shots is the Sony? Can anybody here?

You should post ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 shots too. The difference there is magnified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:32 pm 
I agree with pqtips. The other manufacturers are raising the bar on what is considered the be an acceptable ISO to shoot at, those "new" levels should be included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:10 pm 
We are truly spoilt. I remember shooting with ISO 100 film on my dads SLR and with the occasional roll of ISO 400 film. ISO 1600 film used to cost a fortune and didn't give great results.

These days, we take ISO 1600 and demand ISO 6400 and 12800 to be usable too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:50 pm 

There's an interesting hands on write up of the A330 kit and also new 50mm f/1.8 lenses on dyxum.

I still think the new 50 is very interesting...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:29 pm 
Hello to everybody, i'm new on forum, and i'm finding a new photocamera. I'm interested in Sony a200, so i want ask some question.
For now, Has a Sony a200k this option(in red), like in a330?

And how is a200 in macrro style? (Sorry for my english, i think that you will understood.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:14 am 
First of all, that camera isn't a A200 but it's successor the A230.
The A200 doesn't have that red option but the A230 haves.

How good a camera is in macro is by the lens not the body ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 pm 
cartong wrote:
First of all, that camera isn't a A200 but it's successor the A230.
The A200 doesn't have that red option but the A230 haves.

How good a camera is in macro is by the lens not the body ;)

Its not an a230 mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:09 pm 
sorry to interupt, looks more like the new 380, the 230 has the same mega pixels as the a2oo(10.2mp)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:55 am 
SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:
I find it strange that Sony is launching an 18-55mm lens after it already has a basic kit lens with longer maximum focal length and they promise to be "Like No Other".

Hey Michael, you've been away a while!

The 18-55 would be cheaper to manufacture without losing out on anything when the range is compared to equivalent models from the competition. The 18-70 was relatively poor in quality when compared to other kit lenses too. It was really holding the A700 back when it came to resolution and this would only be magnified by those 14mp sensors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7