Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:25 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, we can now reveal we've had a pre-production A700 for a few weeks and have prepared a comprehensive hands on preview for you here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_DSLR_A700/

And as always, there's a video tour here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_ ... view.shtml

Hope you enjoy it!

So is the A700 the camera you were all waiting for?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:42 am 
So the NDA has finally been lifted?

I don't think I'll be getting an A700 anytime soon, as it's price range is a little out of my reach plus I only just recently got an A100 (Not to mention it would make little difference since I'm still a newbie when it comes to using an SLR). Nonetheless it's an interesting product from Sony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:45 am 
great review, I liked it. Now all ya need is for Nikon to send you a demo copy of the D300.haha.I would like to see that in a vid. review...or a D200 for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:14 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi everyone, we can now reveal we've had a pre-production A700 for a few weeks...

It's nice to know that Sony values this site even if Canon and Nikon apparently don't. :evil:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Thanks guys! Hey, don't blame Nikon (yet!), as far as I know, there aren't any final D300s out there... just previews based on press launches...

But anyway, what do you think of the A700? Is it a contender? Should Canon or Nikon be worried? What are your thoughts...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:36 am 
If they are smart, they should be worried. It's not earth shattering, but the A700 is a very good camera. Marketing wise, lack of live view may be a problem but personally I don't mind. Even on my old Fuji 6900 superzoom, I stuck to the electronic viewfinder. And the optical viewfinder is exactly why I wanted an SLR in the first place. To the ordinary member of public, it may be seen as "inferior" without it though. But the rest of the A700's features are certainly promising. It certainly would be one to consider for an upgrade in a few years time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47 pm 
I think it is a great camera, although I shoot Nikon I love Sony's DSLRs. I was actually considering buying the A-100 as my first DSLR. I think it is a contender, the only thing I think it lacks is a secondary screen, well the only thing I care about.

I personally do not like Live View and would never consider buying a camera based on wether or not it has it, I too used the electric viewfinder back when I had a Kodak super-zoom.

I say that it will be a great camera, and is definetely comp. for both companys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:09 pm 
Thanks for a great review - that was really a big surprice :)

About the camera;
I don't think this camera will compete with Nikon D300 or Canon 40D, and I would choose a Pentax K10D or Nikon D80 over the a700 because of price if I wasn't invested in Minolta glass :wink: I could sell my lenses and chose another system without loss since they where bought used but I havn't seen better lenses in any of the other brands I have tried (Canon mainly) so will keep my Dynax 5D and my 7000 a little while 8)

Gordon, did the camera impress you on the spec compared to D300/40D?

Post subject: Should I wait?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:09 pm 
Hi Gordon,

First of all I would like to thank you for this fantistic site, it's very user-friendly.

I would like to ask you if you could give me your opinion on how the Alpha-700 compares to the Pentax K10D and whether I should wait for this camera or go and buy the Pentax now, thank you very much.

Regards,

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:47 pm 

Good preview Gordon!
If the noise stays as it is with the production samples and that is indicative of the Nikon D300 noise, then the urge to upgrade from my D80 will be minimal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rune, I think the lack of Live View will hurt Sony now that Canon and Nikon have it - but it is ultimately just a feature which many people aren't bothered about.

I loved the A700's colour screen, but it's the same on the D300. The lack of a secondary LCD info screen is a mistake in my opinion.

The overall handling though was really nice. It's a big step up from the A100.

The big rival is the EOS 40D, which is $100 USD cheaper, has Live View, 6.5fps, a secondary screen, optional wireless.

In its favour, the A700 has the built-in stabilisation, VGA screen and HDMI port.

So a lot of this will boil down to comparing features. So long as final image quality is ok of course!

Then there's the D300, which on paper appears to have it all - but for how much?

Exciting times anyway!

Hi Allen, welcome to the Cameralabs forums! I'm afraid I can't give any definitive answers yet on image quality because it wasn't a full production model...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:06 pm 
very fast and nice preview .. really great work from sony .. but really i excepted more .. but any how its good camera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thomas, as I understand it, the D300 and A700 use different sensors...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:56 pm 
Hi Mr. Laing, You surprise me when I saw this post early ... Thankyou this web is very good and great...

Well, very thing that I had considered about of the A700 is truth...

-Sensor no like to the D300
-XMOR (EXMOR) 12MPx to 1,5X
-New A/D converter in the ship
-New AF and motor
-Best high ISO

But, what you say about AF speed and noise it of the A700??

PD: I saw that you used the Sony AF 50mm f/1.4 and Sony DT 11-18 and I know that this post is not about them, but for me you opinion is very important for my lenses future, what you say about them??

Excuse my english...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

We're actually preparing a full review of the 11-18mm in the very near future! It's ok, but can be soft in the corners and like most Sony lenses, the focusing is slower and louder than Canon and Nikon rival models... I think it's based on the Tamron 11-18mm or vice versa, but both Sony and Tamron claim that neither produces lenses for the other. I'm not sure I completely believe that though!

As for the 50mm 1.4, I haven't analysed the full results for it yet, so can't comment.

I just wish Sony would build focusing motors into all its lenses, so they focus more quickly and quietly... the A700's AF motor is a little quieter than the A100, but not by much...

Gordon