Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know we've just posted a full review of the Sony DT 11-18mm ultra wide angle lens for Alpha DSLRs (and KM models too!).

The review is here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_DT_11-18mm/

and the video tour is here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_ ... view.shtml

Hope you enjoy it!

Gordon Laing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:07 pm 
Interesting, their new 55-200mm and 18-250mm also seems to be rebadged Tamron lenses. Havn't checked up on prices compared to Tamron but could imagine that Sony wanted a bit more which leaves Tamron a better buy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:34 pm 

Watch out: Being of similar design doesn't mean that e.g. the quality of the internally used lenses is the same. It could be that there are more multicoated lenses inside. That should reduce flare, where the Tamron is already very good (see my test-report here).
It would be easy for Sony to ask Tamron to give them some higher quality lenses in the same construction. But that obviously didn't help them improve the corner-sharpness :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:57 pm 
yep, Sony probably use their own coating like Minolta so not entirely the same. But my guess is that lens design also has something to do with corner sharpness or is it only the elements that is the factor?

Interesting to see the new 18-250 then. As far as I have read Tamron 18-250 should be much better than their 18-200 so Nikkon might get some serious competition with this lens :wink:

I was wondering about the AF speed on this lens. On the video it's as slow as the slowest tele lens over 20 years old when used in lowlight situations. Did you experience the same AF speed in bright light?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rune, yep this was the same AF speed in very bright light...

As for other differences, the Sony lens definitely supports ADI for flash, whereas I'm not sure about the Tamron - and the focusing ring turns the other way too! But they are definitely similar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:22 pm 

Corner-sharpness has more to do with lens geometry than with coating. And as I found out in my test, ghosting and flare of the Tamron 11-18mm were already on an excellent level. So nothing here to be won...
Perhaps it's more a marketing-driven decision to take the Tamron-design and just give it the more "sexy" Sony-badge (and command a premium).
Gordon, was there a schematic of the lens with the documentation? Even a hint of #lenses/#groups? Perhaps we could compare the design...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Thomas, there sure was a schematic and the optical design looks identical on both lenses - same number of elements, same groups, same distances, same shapes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:48 pm 
Both is same lens and Sony is a major shareholder in Tamron...

Tamron Co., Ltd. (株式会社タムロン, Kabushiki-gaisha Tamuron?) (TYO: 7740 ) is a Japanese company manufacturing photographic lenses, optical components and commercial/industrial-use optics. Sony is a major shareholder in the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Nice investigative journalism Alex!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:22 am 
Hi, here is the comparison of the both lenses...

Sony 11-18
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=311

Tamron 11-18
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=191

You compare this lenses Tamron and Sony in this web...

11-18mm

18-200mm

18-250mm

55-200mm

and this lenses KM an Tamron...

11-18mm (same Sony lenses)

18-200mm

17-35mm

28-75mm

All lenses Sony like Tamron have the climbs of focus printed in the plastic, the lenses Sony, CZ and Minolta copy have not this, you see the DT 16-80mm and DT 16-105mm...