Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:03 pm 
Hi all...

Clearly is your opinion, but that a camera feel tougher is for it wight? the body is the aluminum and magnesium and resistant to the water and powder. A camera heavy is not PRO is very hard for the neck...

How is the transfer speed of the WiFi?? Can It transfer a picture of the 10 or 12MPx in RAW file to the same speed that in the memory card.

The secundary LCD is more for preferences...

In the LiveView...
-40D have a LCD of 230K in 3" and LCD no move, is a simple compact camera of 800grs..
-How quick and precise is the AF with LiveView?? same to compact camera?? is it the same sistem that in the compact camera??
-The noise in the picture is proportional to the temperature...
-A sensor in LiveView increases it temperature...
-The control the noise in a CMOS in more difficult that in the CCD...
-Canon solves the noise with pixel more big and less density of pixel...

The A700:
-Reduces the noise from the ship with the A/D converter (is a new sistem revolutionary)...
-Then the processor Bionz acts about the noise again...
-The LCD is HD...
-The grip is very complete and (to my see) more PRO...
-The sensor have 12MPx and good control of the noise and exist images to ISO1600 an ISO3200...
-The body is stabilized...
-The AF is improved...
Here yes have difference with the previous A100 and improved...

The A700 is not better that the Nikon D2X? and this cam is considered a PRO...

This is only my opinion and I think that Sony A700 is more better cam or up to now it has demonstrated it...

Sure, you use both cam and you are the expert, for my your opinion is very important and credible...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Alex, Wifi is a very important feature for some sports and studio photographers. And as for build quality, the Canon features more sealing and just feels tougher. When the A700 comes out, try picking up both cameras for yourself and see what you think.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:35 pm 
HI all.

What really bothers me about the Sony is its focusing. If they want to appeal to low-end professionals then why aren't they incorporating USM into more of their lenses? Oh I wish the 18-250 had USM.

Secondly, the 6.5fps of the 40D really appeals to me, since I like photographing sports.

In all, these two features, focusing and frame rate certainly boost the 40D's appeal over the A700 for sports photographers.

Maybe the eye-start AF compensates for the slow focusing.

Mr. Laing, how fast was the A700's AF compared to the A100, and the Canon? You indicated that there wasn't much noise improvement, but what about speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:30 pm 
Is very differs the AF speed with U/S/HSM and with out this in lenses with distances focal under 70 to 100mm??

Never I has used a lens with motor, but a friend told me that not have differs in speed under 100mm, but yes in noise. And he refers me that real differs is in lenses with distances focal above 100mm.

In my opinion, Sony is reissuing old lenses Minolta, but no all, and with improvements in quality or acting.

-Minolta AF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 APO = Sony AF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO G SSM

-Minolta AF 17-35mm f/3.5 G = ¿Sony AF 16-35mm f/2.8 "G"? ¿Carl Zeiss?

-Minolta AF 28-70mm f/2.8 G = ¿Sony AF 24-70mm f/2.8 "G"? ¿Carl Zeiss?

-Minolta AF 100-400mm f/4.5-6.3 APO = ¿Sony AF 80-400mm f/4, f/5.6 or f/6.3 "APO G SSM"? ¿Carl Zeiss?

-Minolta AF 24mm f/2.8 = ¿Sony AF 24mm f/1.4 or f/1.8?

-Minolta AF 35mm f/2 = ¿Sony AF 35mm f/1.8?

About DT lenses, I think that the models Tamron (like 18-250, 55-200, etc...) go on in Sony together to new model like the DT 16-80mm and 16-105mm (this like to the Minolta 24-105mm but for APS-C).

Now, this lens sure will be launch together DSLR FF and this I think that yes is the problem.

Sony 70-300mm

¿Sony 16-35mm?

¿Sony 24-70mm?

¿Sony 80-400mm?

¿Sony 24mm?

¿Sony 35mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:44 pm 
So are you saying that it there is no difference in a lens with SSM (or whatever) for lenses under 100mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

I wish Sony would put SSM in as many lenses as possible. I've not had much experience with SSM lenses, but I can tell you there is benefit to USM and SWM on Canon's and Nikon's lenses at ALL focal lengths. I was quite surprised by the slow speed of the focusing on the Sony DT 11-18mm for example. Check out our video review of it compared to the Canon 10-22mm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:35 pm 
Ok, Mr Laing, I too saw that these is slow, but I dont have saw the Canon... thank for the information...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:55 pm 
Mr. Laing, is the A700's coreless focus engine's speed closer to that of USM or of the A100?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

It's much closer to the A100 from the lenses I used it with. Remember you're talking about a built in focusing motor here as oppose to one in the lens.

So none of the lenses I tried the A700 with could be described as close to the Canon USM or Nikon SWM focusing experience, and for me, that's a big negative mark for Sony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:27 pm 
Last time I tried USM was the 70-300 DO and must admit I was amazed how fast it was at that focal lengths. But I didn't find it particularly faster than my kit or 50mm lens and I doubt it would be faster than my 20/24mm lenses. It was much quieter though :) From what I have read 70-200mm SSM is not that much faster (if faster at all) than non-SSM 70-200mm, so unless they have made an SSM mkII that is much faster then i don't mind the in camera focus motor. And their must be an upper limit on how fast you can focus withour losing accuracy.

Even Nikon has some non-SWM/AF-S lenses (only 1 AF-S macro lens), so I think it's a bit unfair to say it's a big negative to Sony. They actually have SSM and they are not alone in the built ind focusing motor market, better mark them for having a really small lineup then :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:11 pm 
I saw the video tour of the canon 10-22mm lens USM and yes is very fast, but I continue think that the true advantage we would see in focal distance above 100mm.

I like the large aperture Sony 70-200mm G SSM, I dont doubt that this is fast and more silent, but is different to the wide angle...

With the new Sony 70-300 G SSM, I think that Sony go for this way, to equip of SSM the lenses with focal distance that really is necessary. How much would be the cost of a lens Sony with SSM??, the 70-200 is a example...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Alex, I have to disagree - I think the manufacturers should put the USM / SWM / SSM motors in ALL their lenses. It's true that focusing is more critical at longer focal lengths, so it's more useful there, but I swear some people actually turned round to see what was happening when I was out shooting with the DT 11-18mm!

So while it is more important on longer focal lengths, I think it's nice to have quicker and quieter focusing on all lenses, long or wide.

That's just my opinion though - what does everyone else think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:58 am 
It would be interesting to test, say an A700/A100 with a 15-250 lens, next to a Canon with a USM lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi joebobjoe, play some of our Canon, Nikon and Sony lens video tours and you'll see and hear some differences in focusing speed and especially focusing noise. I'm not saying the Sonys are always slower, but they're definitely much noisier, and that to me seems unnecessary in this day and age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:25 am 
I just saw the 11-18mm video again and must say it focuses sloooow, so had to see the 16-80mm video again aswell to see if something was wrong with your camera. Either you have a defective A100/11-18mm or the 11-18mm is just a really really bad lens in terms of auto focus. I have a 20 year old 70-210mm which is my slowest lens that outperforms the 11-18mm! - yes, I tested it against your video and the only way I could make my 70-210mm slower at autofocus was to zoom to 210mm and put on a cap so no light could hit the autofocus sensor.

I tried testing my 24mm against the 16-80mm (unfair test) which was a bit more diffecult since I couldn't see the focus screen but concluded in the end that my 24mm was faster.

I can see the need for SSM on the 16-80mm and 70-210mm (11-18mm seems hopeless) but when shooting with either of my primes (and my 28-135mm that has a different rear element focusing design) I usually don't notice the focusing. And Sony lenses are expensive enough without the added cost of SSM :)

edit: Testet on a KM 5D - A700 is supposed to be much faster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next