Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:21 am 
Thank Mr. Laing. that Sony 11-18 I like it...

Well, I read, but I dont know is truth, thar Sony have 10-15% of Tamron and the Konica-Minolta 11-18, 17-35, 28-75mm are same of Tamron lenses.

Thankyou, I will hope for your review of the Sony 11-18mm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:25 am 

gordon, nice job on the review. too bad you didn't expand another 5 seconds and mention that it has weatherproofing (or did I miss it). ;) but a nice job nonetheless. thank you.

I agree with your opinion, lack of 2nd screen, makes this camera very unpopular with the semi-pro shooters. regular screens are just useless in bright day light. so, for me, the Sony is not a serious player at this point.

how's the view finder? I played with the 40D today, it's a very nice cam indeed specially for the $1200 price range. The view finder is much improved over the 30D. But I bet the screen, even at 3" is still useless in bright day light. :) S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:08 am 
Site Admin

The v/f on the A700 is good, but the 40D's looks very good indeed from first impressions...

As for weatherproofing, haven't you read my article to go with the video SHIVA?!

Oh alright then: according to Sony, it has "dust and moisture resistance, albeit not full water or splash-proofing."

So I guess it depends how bad your weather is!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:32 am 
The more I read about the camera the more I think "just a first attempt, nothing big", Canon and Nikon has set that bar high with their recent announcement. The only really big advantage is built in stabilization - you don't have to sacrifice quality with extra elements in the lens and the higher price. ...though currently Sony pro lenses are more expensive than stabilized Canon/Nikon lenses.

I don't mind the top LCD not being there, I have no idea when to use it unless it's mounted on a tripod (which I do not own) so for me it's just another point of failure.

I have it on my film SLR but find it useless since I have to flip or move the camera from the frame so the shutter/aperture info is useless, and it's so rare that I experience any defficulty reading the main LCD.

I must admit it looks cool though but when/how do you use the top LCD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rune, most people cite the benefits of a secondary LCD info screen under very bright light, when a colour TFT can be hard to read. But they're also useful when it's very dark. It's easy for a big colour screen to ruin dark-adpated vision when you're doing astrophotography - and I'd also imagine some wildlife shots too...

It also uses less battery power.

But like Live View, it's another feature which some people may not use, but many people will notice is missing on the A700 compared to the competition.

I think Sony's playing a risky game when it comes to missing out features like these, as many people will be ticking boxes and coming up blank here...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:20 pm 
Hi every body...

NOTE: here I perfect my english... and excuse my english again...

Very people misses the live view in the A700, but they will leave Sony but that??

I not see me taking the A700 with the Sony AF 100mm f/2.8 Macro with the extender arms for the live view or whit Sony AF 70-200...

Sure that this have adventages, but I no think that this is necessary, this is not a compact, this is a reflex... if it is the way, I have will buy the new Lumix...

But the Canon 40D have not a LCD 3", for that this is bad??

The A700 is a model concluded and is for sale in this mont, for that D300 or 40D are bad??

In my opinion the A700 to show us whit their sensor the future A900 (¿?) and is attractive thar Nikon D300 and D3 have not Sony sensor and this Exmor will be use in the substitite of the A100 and here yes will have live view, this will be for amateurs but no the A700 this is another level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:09 am 
Site Admin

Hi Alex, the 40D screen is 3in, but it's a normal 230k resolution, compared to the VGA resolution of the A700 and D300 screens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:32 pm 
Hi Gordon, thank for the correction, but that have no to the 40D a bad cam...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:47 pm 

Hi Alex! The screen-resolution is certainly not the most important point in deciding for one of the new cameras. It's just that people tending to this or that camera love that there is also a nice list of "other" features on their preferred camera :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:38 pm 
Exactly tombomba2, but...

How will work the AF with liveview?

Are this effective and quick?

Will increase the temperature in the sensor and this will cause more noise in the image?

I think that liveview yes is useful in the amateur reflex, but in the advance amateur or Pro, is more a luxury or commercial...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:51 pm 

I agree, Alex. Live-view will never make me buy this or that camera. A nice viewfinder is all I need.
But if you look in a studio, live-view enables them to peek at the shot on a big color-corrected monitor (not the puny little LCD on the back). That is something the pros in the studios are looking for. So live-view could be interesting not only for the amateur like me but also for the pros...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:12 pm 
Of course, but sacrifices quality...

The ZigView are a importan tool for this field and PhotoMacrography...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:30 pm 
HI Mr Laing, excelent review about Canon 40D, but I have a doubts...

Why you said: "The A700 is ultimately a less ‘professional’ camera than the 40D and D300,..."

I read both review, and I think that difference among both is insignificant, the A700 is a model concluded and the control of the noise is very good. Also, very featurtes of the A700 is very good that 40D...

My appreciation is that 40D is for under of the A700...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 am 
Site Admin

The 40D and D300 feel tougher, have secondary LCD info screens and support accessories like Wifi which are missing on the A700. My personal feeling is that the 40D and D300 are better-suited to demanding pros, whereas the A700 is more a high-end enthusiasts camera. But that's just my opinion, and don't forget the A700 I tested was a pre-production model.

I still think the absence of Live View is a mistake on the Sony. It will also be interesting to see if Sony can keep the price of the A700 higher than the 40D...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:31 am 
After seeing the 40D video Live View is getting higher priority next time I upgrade the camera so I really hope that Sony will come out with an A700i that sports this feature. I like the design (button layout and such) better on A700 compared to the other two.

Ideal camera for me; A700s design and SSS, 40Ds Live View and lenses, D300s fast sensor, K10Ds weatherseal and big 3" screen and VF - and a price to match the K10D would be nice and unrealistic :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next