Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentacon 50mm f1.8
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:23 pm 
I've just bought a Pentacon 50mm f1.8 lens on e-bay for £8. It's a really old m42 mount lens, so I had to buy a converter to attach it to my Sony A200. It should be with me in a few days, so I'll let you guys know how that works out. I'm excited about my first prime lens, even if it is an antique that's purely manual focus :)

Ooooh the excitement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:46 pm 

Sounds like fun at a price that wont break the bank. I have to assume it has manual aperture control so would be a different way of working. And would be interested to hear how it goes.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 pm 
I imagine there will be 2 rings, one for the focus and another for the aperture control. That's what my very old Yashica used to have. I'm not sure about the metering, but I'm sure that must still work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:47 pm 
£8 :!: :!:
that's a bargain for a lens

Post subject: Pentacon 50? Woof --
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 am 
That was my first lens, on my Praktica SuperTL (throuth-the-lens metering!) purchased in 1973. Hadn't heard that name in quite a while! If it's like mine it focuses down to about 11 inches, quite rare back then (and maybe even today, my Minolta 50 stops around 16".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:42 am 

Congrats! Have fun with your lens once you get it, and please show us some photos taken with your new toy!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 pm 
This arrived for me today and I've been taking some quick snaps. Here are my initial impressions.

What works
  • Manual mode. Set the camera to manual, and you'll have to manually set the shutter speed, the ISO and you have to manually focus.
  • Exposure metering(!!) works, so at least you aren't up a creek without a paddle.

What does not work
  • Aperture control. This is a totally manual lens, so your exposure compensation and thumb dial don't do anything to the aperture. There's a dial on the lens, but that doesn't work either.
  • Shutter. I don't think the shutter works, so when you take a photo all that happens is the camera's mirror goes up and light hits the sensor. I don't know how this will affect image quality, but at least I can still take photos.

One of the first things you'll notice with this lens is the focus ring. Unlike the other lenses I've come across before, the focus ring turns 360 degrees to focus from 11 inches to infinity. That gives you incrediblecontrol and helps you nail the focus each and every time.

The other thing to notice is the build quality. It's all metal, and it's all solid. That is pretty impressive for a £10 lens and would explain why it still works after all these years.

Now we've got that out of the way, let's have a look at some photos :). The depth of field is very shallow. I knew that prime lenses had some shallow DoF but this was something I didn't really expect. Anything closer than 2 meters will have a razor thin depth of field. This is actually pretty cool as it helps with subject isolation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:11 pm 

Does the aperture control on the lens not do anything at all? In other words, is it stuck wide open? How's the quality when pixel peeping?

Shutter should be working normally if you got this far.

Any chance of a picture of the lens itself?

And that last picture is making me hungry... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 pm 
popo wrote:
Does the aperture control on the lens not do anything at all? In other words, is it stuck wide open?

It's stuck wide open.

Quote:
How's the quality when pixel peeping?

Not that great when viewed at 100%. In fact, I'd say that it's actually quite poor.

The biggest issue is guaranteeing focus. That's pretty hard when viewing through a 0.84x viewfinder with no split screen. When you think you've got the focus, you find that you've actually missed it by a few milimeters. At this level of DoF, that could potentially break the shot.

In this photo, you see that the focus is somewhere at "people". Everything after and before that is starting to go out of focus. Even so, "people" doesn't appear tack sharp and this is at ISO 400. I guess the reason for this softness is because the lens is being shot wide open and looking at the MTF charts for the Sony 50mm f1.4, that's pretty soft wide open. If a recent prime lens is soft wide open, what else can we expect from a 30 or 40 year old prime?

Quote:
Shutter should be working normally if you got this far.

The shutter doesn't work. The lens focuses the image on the sensor, the mirror locks up when I take a photo but there is no shutter. I can't see how the shutter would be triggered as there isn't any electrical connection between the lens and the camera.

I'll take some photos of the lens tomorrow when I'm more awake ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:24 pm 

The shutter is in the camera, just in front of the sensor. I guess you're thinking of the aperture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:53 am 
Ah, that would explain it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:26 pm 
I to have this lens I also find it very sharp. See image I took this morning

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/ ... directlink

First post so not sure how to embed link.
A300, iso 100, 1/350, f8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:35 am 
How do you get the aperture control to work on this lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 am 
There is a few models of this lens, so how to use the aperture may be different. My lens has a switch which can be moved from manual to auto. If you don,t have a switch you will find that by pushing in the silver pin allows you to use the aperture ring. This pin can be glued in using a tiny amount of super glue. I did this with another lens, Viviter but not worth the effort very poor quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:20 pm 

Good results for such a cheap piece of glass, nice work! :D
I had an old 50mm for a Praktica (which I took apart for fun, didn't use it) and it had such a auto/manual-switch as well.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux