Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A 300 Wide Angle Lens
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:17 am 
I'm looking for a wide angle lens for my A 300. I've looked at Sony's DT 11-18mm, but Sony's website says the following

DT lenses are specifically designed for use with digital SLR cameras that have an APS-C size image sensor.

Although it is possible to physically attach a DT lens to an SLR film camera, it is not recommended. Because the size of 35mm film is larger than an APS-C image sensor, DT lenses will cause the corners of the image to become black with vignetting [FIG. 1] at the wide end.

DT lenses are not recommended for use with full-frame digital SLR cameras. When a DT lens is attached to a full-frame digital SLR camera, the entire surface of the image sensor cannot be used. The camera will only use part of the image sensor that is equivalent in size to an APS-C sensor. Also, although it will not show up in the recorded images, vignetting [FIG. 1] will be seen in the viewfinder when shooting wide-angle pictures. In addition, exposure accuracy is not guaranteed with DT lenses in certain shooting situations.

NOTE: For information about the type of image sensor in your camera, refer to the Specifications section of the supplied operating instructions. The operating instructions are also available online in the Manuals/Specs/Warranty section of the Sony® eSupport Web site.

Has anyone used this lens with an A 300? Any problems? Is there a better wide angle lens to use with the A 300? Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:28 pm 
I'm pretty sure the 11- 18 mm Sony is compatible with the A300 since that camera body uses a cropped sensor, not a full-sized one.

the entire Sony alpha range have cropped sensors, except the professional A900. Hence, all these alphas, except the A900, should work fine with DT lenses, which include the 11- 18mm

You can read up on the advantages of having a cropped sensor as opposed to having a full size one on the net. Another thing, cameras with cropped sensors can be used with lenses designed for full-frame cameras. But lenses designed for cropped sensors are not compatible with full framed cameras, for the reasons stated by Sony themselves, as you've already read.

It's also important to note that its generally more advised to invest in lenses for full framed sensors, since, you never know when somewhere down the line, you might upgrade from cropped to full size sensor cameras.

Try watching the review by Cameralabs on the 11- 18mm. Gordon uses it on a cropped sensor camera. :)

Cheers!!!

Hope this helped! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:39 pm 

There are similar wide zoom lenses from Sigma and Tamron so you could look into those also.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:48 pm 

And the only full frame compatible wide-angle zoom from Sony is the Zeiss 16-35mm, which is very expensive. So if you're thinking of purchasing a FF camera some day without having to replace or sell your lens line-up, look into third party models like some of Sigma's lenses. I've created a, what I hope to be, useful list of not only Sony gear, but Sigma lenses as well in the Alpha Lenses and Accessories guide! (at the top of the Sony section)

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux