Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:06 am 

Somebody stop me... ;)

I need a camera for some projects that I am doing and I don't have access to a good digicam right now. This year, I had long term access to a G7, Fuji F31 and Leica D-Lux 3. And I was waiting for the sept/oct release of new cams to pick something up. But I can't wait that long.

So, looking at all the best digicams, and knowing for sure that the G7 by far has the best image quality, I am going to go with a H9, I think. I want the 3" screen, need the tilt screen, the super fast shutter, and wide angle at 31mm. Also, I already had the G7 for a few months, so I rather get the upcoming G8/G9 later than another G7. Lastly, G7's lack of battery info is highly annoying, one minute you are shooting with it, next it shows battery low and very soon after you're out of charge.

Granted, I know the image quality of H9 is simply not up to par with Canon. The way I see it, G7 shoots as good as a DSLR at 100ISO, but H9 shoots as fast as one. And that's cool. And I really would love to have a grip and the H9 has a nice one.

By the way, I never shoot above ISO 100 with digicams, ever. Most of my work is outdoors.

I am also open to get a Panasonic LX2. Not a bad camera, although doesn't excite me at all, and I already had the D-Lux 3 for a little while, which sort of bored me. But I have two friends who own the LX2 and rave about it. The 16X9 is nice, so is the super wide angle, which in reality is wider than 28mm.

I don't like Canon's S5 and don't want to deal with AA batteries.

Gordon, What do you think, am I making a mistake. :) :) LOL, S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:52 am 
Site Admin

Hi Shiva, I know you're normally a sensible fellow, and I'd always say to someone that the right time to buy is when they feel ready for it...

BUT!

Canon's Autumn launch is on Monday, so even if the new products don't come out until Christmas, at least you'll know what's coming. Since it's only a few days away - and since Nikon's follows a few days later - I would advise anyone thinking of buying a new camera to hold back a few days!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:03 am 

I think you're right. I just wrote a friend of mine to see if I can borrow their camera. This is really a silly time to be buying a camera with so many new ones being announced in a week time.